Quantcast

20" or 26"? please help

young954

Chimp
Jan 17, 2010
hey. im about to start jumping again and i was wondering if i should buy a new 26" or a bmx? and what would the difference be of the two. im about 5'11 170 thanks

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
Ride them. I enjoy my 26" way more than my 20", but my buddy is the exact opposite.

I just dont feel stable on my 20". I heart my STP :D

nwctrailz

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Enn Dub
20" for DJ's if you have skills (or if you want to acquire them) . Keep the Mountain in Mountain Biking. Just about anyone who is anyone in mtb rode or still rides bmx.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
keep the bicycle motocross in... oh wait, mountain bikes are waaaay more bicycle motocross...

keep the semantics up your arse where they belong...

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
get a 24. My buddy just picked up a WTP avenger and its the perfect middle ground. Manuals in circles better than a 26, but is much more stable and leaned back than a 20.

"funner"

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
My friend is currently dealing with a cracked headtube on his 2 month old cheater. They have had the frame for over a month now and dont answer calls or anything, thumbs down for stolen.

young954

Chimp
Jan 17, 2010
yeah thats goood. and idk i cant make up my mind! i use to jump everyday 4 years ago and go to skateparks and stuff and i had a gt robinson hahah. and my friend had a fuse 3 and it was legit. i always wanted a nice 20" for jumps and parks. so idk. what are good brands for bmx ones?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've ridden 20s since forever, but I just feel silly on a bmx now. I'm about 6 foot. I've got a dobermann with 24" wheels and a 23" top tube that I can't get enough of. You can find bmx's with long TTs, but it's harder. I think Macneil makes one.
These are two radically different bikes you're considering. You might want to do some test riding before you roll out the money for one.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
what kind of terrain are you planning on riding? butter smooth trails and park or half assed trails built with logs and a thin layer or dirt? How old are you?

If you are young or riding smooth trails get a bmx, 20 or 24.

If you are old or riding rougher stuff get a mtb, 24 or 26.

Personally, I don't like flossing my ass with a 26" rear wheel.

roadwork

Chimp
Nov 19, 2009
My friend is currently dealing with a cracked headtube on his 2 month old cheater. They have had the frame for over a month now and dont answer calls or anything, thumbs down for stolen.
From what I've been reading on other forums like pinkbike and vitalbmx, these stories about Stolen are extremely common, particularly when dealing with broken frames/forks. People send their stuff in and it never gets sent back.

djbiker

Monkey
Sep 25, 2009
20" for DJ's if you have skills (or if you want to acquire them) . Keep the Mountain in Mountain Biking. Just about anyone who is anyone in mtb rode or still rides bmx.
make it sound like riding 26's are easy, last time i checked it's harder to obtain *style* on a 26 than a 20. A lot easier to whip around a 20 pound bike than a 30. Both got cons and pros dont forget that.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
last time i checked it's harder to obtain *style* on a 26 than a 20.
I disagree with that. You're right about the pros and cons of both. But the pros of bigger wheels is more stability. Stability = less twitchy = easier to be smooth in the air = easier to be stylish. The pros of smaller wheels are tricks... almost every trick ('cept maybe moto whips) are easier with smaller wheels.

Now some might not like the "style" of mtb freestyle in general... but that's a whole different story.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Stability is why I ride bigger wheels.... 20s are super-fun, but I'm just not willing to sacrifice myself to ride one anymore. My crashing frequency goes way up on 20". :D