Quantcast

2002 shiver SC

biandon

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
Ever since day 1, my fork's been feeling pretty crappy. I finally realized that the problem was coming from the stanchion guards. They were pressing on the upper legs and the friction between the two pretty much killed the smoothness of the fork. It's so bad that the plastic guards have actually shaved off some metal (see picture). So I thought, "okay, maybe these plastic pieces got squished out of shape. I'll just order some new ones." It turns out the new ones also rub the upper leg!

Is anyone else having this problem? What's your fix? I prefer to keep some kind of guard to protect the stanchions and ward off mud & other gunk.

Attachments

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have the same shiver, same fork guards, but I have lizard skins over the shock legs to protect the sanctions.

I rode Zark's DC shiver and it was making a funny noise when it would compress. He said it was common with shivers for those fork guards to hit and slap like that

I'd try some lizard skin guards. They help with the slap and the wear and sounds. I'd suggest them, again they are like $10.

I have done everything to my shiver short of changing seals. I've changed oil, springs, everything else so I can help you in any way I will try.

I'd definately keep those guards. It is kind of a shame that the legs must be kept so smooth because you can always tank a fall and scratch, dent, whatever to the fork legs and be screwed.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I run the shiver SC and have that rub there. I assure you, that this is NOT what is ruining the feel of your fork. It will screw up the clear anodizing in spots, but it is not enough to affect the feel of the fork. Have you changed your oil lately. Mine felt MUCH better after the first oil change (make sure you use something good, like Golden Spectro or Silkolene).

As for eliminating the rub, you can glue some plastic floor protectors from WlMart (the kind you put on chair and table legs) on there. It will keep the guards off the outers.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I just put a big fat zip-tie around the flat part of the lower leg there, where most of the damage is. If you make it tight enough it won't slip at all. The guard rubs on the ziptie instead of the metal. If it wears thru eventually, a new one is cheap enough.

Ohio's right though - that is definitely NOT what is making your fork feel bad.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree, if it is acting funny try resetting the knobs on the fork for preload and rebound, make them go to factory defaults. Then adjust as necessary. I will tell you that this fork does feel sweet when tunned correctly.

IMPORTANT TIP!!!

My fork from the factory had less oil in one leg and more oil in the other. They are suspose to have the same amount of oil in each leg. One was way full and the other was damm near empty. Once I changed it and added the correct levels the fork was pro

IMPORTANT TIP!!!

I think Marz doesn't always put the right amount of oil in their shocks. I have heard this before on other forks but that would Definately make things not right.

Just get some tools, a beer or soda, and give it a shot. I promise it is not that difficult to change/check oil.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i had that problem with mine, i stuck the furry side of some self adhesiv velco onto the fork where the rubbing was occuring and it was all good

biandon

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm sure you are better mechanics than I am and know the fork inside out. But I know that the problem is coming from these plastic guards. Perhaps the rubbing on mine is just more severe. It's not just a clear coat I've lost; 1 or 2 mm of metal have actually been shaved off the upper leg.

The other day, I rode around without the guards and the fork was absolutely awesome, super smooth.

I'm going to try the lizard skins. If anyone has other fixes, let me know.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
Originally posted by MisterMental
i had that problem with mine, i stuck the furry side of some self adhesiv velco onto the fork where the rubbing was occuring and it was all good
try that it worked for me and hardly cost me anything
mine were pretty bad, i had a groove in mine

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i have the same fork as all of you, and this doesn't happen, i bought the fork used and i don't think the stock gaurds are on (they look the same tho) but this hasn't happened and the fork feels great!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by biandon
The other day, I rode around without the guards and the fork was absolutely awesome, super smooth.
If this is the case, there is something VERY wrong with either your guards or your forks. One of the two is very out of whack... I would guess it's the guards. See if Zoke will warranty them for you. Or just buy a new pair for ~$25