San Antonio, Texass
Full Stage Race!!!

Two days of cycling fun and frolick, April 6th and 7th

Hosted by STORM and Flat Rock Ranch

• 3 Killer Downhill Courses
  • Observed trials
  • Expert Crit
  • Cross-Country on 18 miles of the Sweetest Singletrack

We've got it All! Including schwag out the ass.

Not one but two Santa Cruz Chameleon Frames (amongst a ton of other schwag)

More info and entry forms can be found on TMBRA

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
is there going to be an actual downhill race...or are the courses just open to be ridden? is todd going to make it out there?

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Is this a real downhill course or can you do it on a hardtail? Personally I'm hoping for for some carnage and leave the doubles for the slalom course. And whats this bike trials???? Whos building the course?

Bike Mojo

Monkey
Jul 14, 2001
San Antonio, Texass
Originally posted by Killer
Yes, there will be a downhill race!

It is on saturday april 6th. Practice runs in the morning, acutal race starts at 12:30

Thanks for fielding the question for me Killer.

Killer is on the Assistant Race Director for the 2002 Hill Country Challenge.

photo of the Beginner course..

photo of the creek crossing on the Sport Course

Sorry the images are links...:confused:

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
oronde, yeah you can do all the lines on a hardtail. the creek gap is not that bad. dh bill did it on his hardtail and you know how he rides! granted, he cased the backside.

if there is an actual race, how come its not up on the tmbra site...will it be updated? and by expert course, do you mean the totally different top section that meets up with the sport/beginner course about halfway down?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by downhil

if there is an actual race, how come its not up on the tmbra site...will it be updated? and by expert course, do you mean the totally different top section that meets up with the sport/beginner course about halfway down?
i left a message for those guys on bikemojo to let them know the info was left out. Most of them hang there and will see it quickly.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
All the Dh courses have differnt top lines and then meet up right b4 the creek gap. We routed the begginer course around the creek gap. That first photo is actually the the first drop-in on the sport course. You can do everything except the first drop-in on the expert course on a hard tail, I have done it on my P.3 many times, all though I cant go that fast. A Dh bike would be better because the course is very rocky and has Buck City writin all over it. Todd and Jordan will deffinately be there. All 3 of us have been working on the courses since December. I have no idea what the corse will be like for the trials guys. Sorry
We are getting Todd to update his site that will have more info on the Dh courses. I will post that as soon as he is done.
Josh

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Originally posted by downhil
the creek gap is not that bad. dh bill did it on his hardtail
See thats how you get yourself killed, "What, you siad Bill!!!!! jumped it? "Oh hell naw, I ain't going out like no punk..." "Watch this y'all" pedal pedal pedal, swooooosh KAAAA THUDD!!!! "OOOOOH MY SPLEENNN". Although I do feel alot more relived to hear that Bill cleared it since airing it out isn't my speciality. I'll be taking my time as usual. Any chance of laying a few logs and bolders down on the course?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
sounds like fun.
is the trials and dh going to conflict?
i would like to do both. you in trialsmasta. biathalon
of skill:eek: :cool:

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Originally posted by bcd
sounds like fun.
is the trials and dh going to conflict?
i would like to do both. you in trialsmasta. biathalon
of skill:eek: :cool:
Yup Yup, I'm down doing trials first for sure though. There is a trials comp in Dallas next Saturday, gonna be a couple Pros there too. Aaron Lutze, Dan Drain, and new comer Ross Mcmaster (my money is on Ross). Also going to be shooting some film for Aarons video. If you can make it down it should be a good time. The sections are rumored to be even nastier this year. Oh yeah the comp is at Bar H.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I know just about everyone that rides trials competitivly from TX, OK, and AK and no one knows who's putting on this event. Was Trials at Comfort a miss print. Cause theres going to be some mighty pissed people if they drive down from dallas and there arn't any good sections.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i look forward to meeting you peeps. there should be 7 guys coming from dallas:
2) dh bullits
2) intense's M1 and Uzzi DH
2) Kona primo Stabs
one stinky
These are the ones that I know about.

This is gonna rock. What's the biggest jump or drop. Hopefully big.

Joel Hester
dallas
M1, monster T and a 3.0

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
joel, yeah the group down here in austin is also lookin forward to the race. its always cool to meet someone new to ride with. im not sure what the bike count will be but im sure the dh scene will be pretty well represented for texas.

there are some pretty decent rock drops on the course and a couple of steep log hits...none really big though. there is a jump across a small creek at the bottom, supposedly its 15 feet from lip to flat (no landing jump) but there is a slope on the backside so you only actually need to jump about 5-8 feet. making it the full 15 feet is pretty easy. the way briantx is jumping lately, he'll be jumping into the spectators!

mtbsamon

Chimp
Mar 21, 2002
San Antonio
Kevin Ivey usually sets them up! He just informed me he is busy taht weekend! I need an observed Trials Man now! Help call mark Trevino at (210)415-1050.

Thanks!

MT

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Ah so your Joel, we rode up in Dallas last weekend and did some filming. I'll keep an eye out for you folks at the race.

Originally posted by joel hester
i look forward to meeting you peeps. there should be 7 guys coming from dallas:
2) dh bullits
2) intense's M1 and Uzzi DH
2) Kona primo Stabs
one stinky
These are the ones that I know about.

This is gonna rock. What's the biggest jump or drop. Hopefully big.

Joel Hester
dallas
M1, monster T and a 3.0

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I'd love to help you out man but Comfort is a pretty long drive to set up sections. Guess I'll be leaving the trials bike at home :(

Originally posted by mtbsamon
Kevin Ivey usually sets them up! He just informed me he is busy taht weekend! I need an observed Trials Man now! Help call mark Trevino at (210)415-1050.

Thanks!

MT

LunchBox

Chimp
Feb 14, 2002
Texas
Alex...good to see ya in here...I lived in "Yellow" too...and that's where Craig, Ben, Justin, Kaptain Karpiel got me into DH. By the way...back at the Hill's Shop Canyon race of 2000...the line you picked down the Texas Show Horse Trail...yer one sick bastid!!!
Anyway...hope you don't show up @ Comfort...you make us all look bad!

---LunchBox---

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Originally posted by bcd
wish granted.

how was it?
Ah my first real DH race it was wicked, I had a blast. You probably would have loved it, wet rocks slippery turns, it was awsome. Enough technical bits that I didn't have to rely too much on pedaling speed. The log jumps and sudden turns where sweet. I think I did pretty good but I split before prizes where handed out hopefully some of you monkeys that stuck around got results. Hopefully they will have more DH events in the future. I'm not too into the jumps (I cased the creek jump after clearing it in practice ouch) so rocks and bolders galore would be sweeeeet. If they have trials next year they definitely have to schedule them at different times.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by trialsmasta

Ah my first real DH race it was wicked, I had a blast. You probably would have loved it, wet rocks slippery turns, it was awsome. Enough technical bits that I didn't have to rely too much on pedaling speed. The log jumps and sudden turns where sweet. I think I did pretty good but I split before prizes where handed out hopefully some of you monkeys that stuck around got results. Hopefully they will have more DH events in the future. I'm not too into the jumps (I cased the creek jump after clearing it in practice ouch) so rocks and bolders galore would be sweeeeet. If they have trials next year they definitely have to schedule them at different times.
Oh man I don’t think we got to meet but I got pics of a lot of people on the creek jump I’ll post them later in the week when I get them developed. I was told joel hester broke his ankle. Any news on his condition? Hope everything is ok.

George_SATX

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
San Antonio, TX
I visited Joel at the hospital today to see how he was doing.

As you've read, he really banged himself up pretty good while pre-riding the creek jump section of our downhill course at Flat Rock on Saturday, such that it necessitated five hours of surgery to reconstruct his heel and will require him to stay hospitalized here in San Antonio for 5-6 days.

Joel is a pretty cool guy whom I only met today, but since he's from up there in Dallas, he doesn't have any family here so he's been toughing it out by himself. His parents were in on Sunday and his mom will be back on Friday when he hopes to be discharged, but aside from that, he's only had the fine folks at NW Methodist Hospital to see him through.

He'll be out of pocket for the most part this week since he can only talk so long on his cell phone and he has no internet access.

Despite it all, he's in pretty good spirits, considering, and sends his regards to everyone up here that expressed concern.

Having been there myself, I can completely relate to what he's going through. In my case, I was fortunate enough to have had my wreck close to home and had plenty of family and friends around while hospitalized to help me get through it. I couldn't begin to imagine having to go it alone.

Anyway, I left him a couple of MTB mags, an "Old Guys Who Get Fat" cycling cartoon book and the current edition of Sports Illustrated (swimsuit issue!) to help keep his mind occuppied (I only hope the biking mags help as a surrogate rather than a tease!).

In leaving, I impressed upon him that the San Antonio MTB community is one big family and we look out for our own and our extended family and that included him. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish and I'll keep folks posted on any updates.

Thanks,

-George E. Longoria
Treasurer,
South Texas Off Road Mountain-Bikers

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Thanks for the update G! Were lucky to have a guy like you Pimping Mtbing in Texas. You also might grab a copy of "Big Un's" and drop it bye for him and i'll pay you back at waco.
Once again Speedy recovery Joel
Tony

Stinky Monkey

Monkey
Sep 2, 2001
The Big Sleazy again!
Thanks for the update George. I had the pleasure of meeting Joel and hanging out with him Friday night at Comfort. I wish him a speedy recover. If anyone goes to see him again tell him the Crew from Louisiana says "whats up?".
Kevin