Quantcast

2003 Crossmax SL / XL who's ridden them??

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
I want to buy some new wheels.

I'm interested in the Cmax SL & XL

They'll be used basically solely for racing XC (well ok & a few trail rides cos they'll make my bike look chi chi :) ).

I have my other wheelset (hugi240/512's) for every day use.

With the superlight SL's, does anyone know how they compare strength/stiffness wise to the 02 Crossmax? They would be preferable as they are lighter & more of a race wheel, but I dont want to kill them.

The XL's are marketed as more of a general use wheel and are quite a bit heavier, so I think these would hold up quite well, but has anyone got some comments/experience with them?

Then again also in my mind is some King classics laced to 517's via Revo's & stans notubes....

Choices choices

comments anyone?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by bURKeNSTiEN
I want to buy some new wheels.

I'm interested in the Cmax SL & XL

They'll be used basically solely for racing XC (well ok & a few trail rides cos they'll make my bike look chi chi :) ).

I have my other wheelset (hugi240/512's) for every day use.

With the superlight SL's, does anyone know how they compare strength/stiffness wise to the 02 Crossmax? They would be preferable as they are lighter & more of a race wheel, but I dont want to kill them.

The XL's are marketed as more of a general use wheel and are quite a bit heavier, so I think these would hold up quite well, but has anyone got some comments/experience with them?

Then again also in my mind is some King classics laced to 517's via Revo's & stans notubes....

Choices choices

comments anyone?
crossmax SL's are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice i'd say go w/ those if you can afford to put out the dough

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I know they are Chi chi and really cool and stuff, but those wheels cost more than a lot of frames. :eek: You could get a nice Gunnar Rockhound 853 steel frame, for example.

I could not bring myself to buy them, unless I got a screaming deal. :)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
my friend rides the SLs and i have the XLs. both ride about the same from what i've tried. the XLs sure can take a beating. but XC racing go for the SLs if ya can. they're so dreamy

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
Originally posted by DHS
my friend rides the SLs and i have the XLs. both ride about the same from what i've tried. the XLs sure can take a beating. but XC racing go for the SLs if ya can. they're so dreamy
That's good to know about the XL's because I dont want to be worried about flying down descents etc. Dont want them to break.

Any impressions on strength differences between the SL & XL? Are there any physical difference between hubs/rims on the two wheelsets? As far as you can tell are the hubs the same?
how about the rims (minus the machining between spokes)

Sl's - worth the extra?

Cheers

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
I've said it once and I'll say it again......I do NOT, believe in pre built wheels! :p
Burk, you've already got Hugi 240s - kick arse hubs - so whats wrong with them? Sure, Hayes Superlites are cheaper and the same hub, and both them and the 240s are cheaper and lighter than King, so IMHO, you've already got some great hubs.
Lace them to some DT Revos and Mavic 517s, 32 cross 3 f and r, and THAT, my friend, is a killer wheelset. I'm curious about the Sapim X-Ray aero spokes too, wouldnt mind trying them for fun.
I have a set of Kings and they're cool too. Except they keep coming loose and make a funny whrrrrrrrrrr, but we'll forgive them for that :)

Every man and his dog has Crossmax, and I think they're a bit of a toss really, mostly a fashion statement. Now if you REALLY want to get all funky, track down some Tune hubs from Germany!