Quantcast

2003 monster t spring change and seals

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I wanted to know if anyone could help me out. I'm getten a 2003 Monster t and will have to replace the seals in it and replace the srpings for the x firm springs.

The parts are only like 40 bucks for the springs and seals. But has anyone done this before.

Do I need any special tools?

And any tips would be appreciated.
Also.... I'm a very large guy around 260 lbs 6ft8 inches tall. Can you stiffen these things up at all or is their no preload on these forks?

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
up the preload, and use a heavy weight oil, start at 10 weight, and if you need more, you can move up to a 15-20 weight (any motorcycle shop should have it.)

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I am going to do a oil change on the fork this weekend! I just bought 10wt and 15wt oil. I thought I'd use the 15wt oil in the rebound side of the fork to slow down the rebound and 10wt in the compression side.

You say to up the preload? But where is the preload on this fork? Is it internal on the 2003 monsters? Also.... Do you have to pull the lowers off of the 2003 Monsters to pull the spring stack out?

I hate to bother anyone, but I have done every search and have come up short on info.And there are no tear down instructions on the internet to be found! Anyway... If someone could help out it would be appreciated greatly!

Chris.....

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
That is just the manual for the fork! I have allready read that up and down 10 times. it only tells you how to put it on the bike and tune the fork. It does not give any tear down instructions.

Like I said... I did my research before I came on here.I searched for all the obvious ways to try and find out how to tear this fork down. OH-WELL. I'll just do it. It should'nt be that hard.

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
I've got a '03 Monster T and I've got some "heavy" springs. Now I need to open the Monster and install the heavies.

I grabbed a wrench and loosened the nut/top cap, but something has hold of it on the inside. Presumably it's the hydrolic cartridge.

I assumed this was as easy as: "remove top cap, pull out spring, put in spring, put back top cap." That's the way it worked when I replaced the elastomers on my Judy 10 years ago. :monkeydance:

How do I get the top cap off the Monster? There's a rebound adjust screw accessible from the top cap. Maybe I need to back that all the way out and it'll release the cartridge?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

:help: J. C.

Last edited:

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
That's great! I've found the 2001 service manual, but the '01's are too different than the '03's. The '06 that you pointed me to is VERY similar. I'll tear down the fork this weekend and see if I can use the manual to help pull out the stock springs.

Thanks for the URL!!! :happydance: