Quantcast

2004 vs. 2005 Turner DHR

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
A friend of mine is getting ready to buy a Turner. go-ride has some 2004's for alot less than the 2005's. Other than the rear shock is there any major differences between the frames? Thanks

Dennis

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
yonton228 said:
Did you try the search?? I think this was covered already. I am not sure though.
Then you should do a search.

As far as numbers, they are the same bike. As far as stickers, the 04 is ugly and the 05 is pretty. I'd check with turner to make sure they didn't change anything construction-wise to find out for sure. They did do some minor alterations with the main pivot interface but that was with the early 04s.

I'd save the money and get the 04 without hesitation. Either way, he'll be stuck with a bike that has limited shock options. If the DHX is important to him, it's WAY cheaper to get it with the 05 frame rather than get it aftermarket.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Did a search, it came back with 20 pages of stuff.
He is not real concerned about the shock. He rode a 2004 last weekend at Snowshoe and really liked it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
geo is identical.
There were some issues with the early '04 main pivot area, but these where addressed. Even if you did have a problem, Turner would take care of it.

As far as the shock goes, I passed on an '04 cause I didn't like the idea of running the romic. IMO, the DHX makes all the difference.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
yonton228 said:
Did you try the search?? I think this was covered already. I am not sure though.
Stop being a search nazi. Nobody likes you people. It's one thing to tell someone to run a search on a topic that has blatently been covered many times, but this isn't one of those times.

This is the second time that someone has asked an innocuous and specific question, and your response has been to try a search. I promptly ran searches on both questions, and did NOT get a response that would have satisfied the original poster. How about running your own search before you snap off a response like that :rolleyes:

:stosh:

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Didn't they shave about 2 pounds off the frame in 05 by changing the top tube to square tubing, instead of the split top tube. I think that was the only real difference besides the shock.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
Agreed.
Its a difference worth paying for.
Just out of curiosity, what do you like better about it?

The progressive feature on the DHX seems pretty useless to me on that frame. I weigh probably 170 with gear and I've never bottomed mine with a 350lb spring, Romic, Fox RC (on my 03 front triangle) or the vanilla DH I have now.

I could see the propedal being useful.......do you use much of it? I've got a low speed compression on my shock now that I leave full open. But there's not really a whole lot of pedaling where I ride my bike for the most part.

You think the damping is smoother/more controlled/tickles you nuts more etc?

This is the main reason I like the DH shock over the Romic...dampenatoring... I have ridden a DHX on a turner (just one short run) and it felt exactly like my bike. No more, no less.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
kidwoo said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you like better about it?

The progressive feature on the DHX seems pretty useless to me on that frame. I weigh probably 170 with gear and I've never bottomed mine with a 350lb spring, Romic, Fox RC (on my 03 front triangle) or the vanilla DH I have now.

I could see the propedal being useful.......do you use much of it? I've got a low speed compression on my shock now that I leave full open. But there's not really a whole lot of pedaling where I ride my bike for the most part.

You think the damping is smoother/more controlled/tickles you nuts more etc?

This is the main reason I like the DH shock over the Romic...dampenatoring... I have ridden a DHX on a turner (just one short run) and it felt exactly like my bike. No more, no less.
The reason I like it better is not complicated at all. It is smoother throughout the entire stroke. I barely use any propedal, it pedals well enough on its own.
It just rides way smoother, and the damping feels more controlled. Our entire team has mentioned the exact same things.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
binary visions said:
Stop being a search nazi. Nobody likes you people. It's one thing to tell someone to run a search on a topic that has blatently been covered many times, but this isn't one of those times.

This is the second time that someone has asked an innocuous and specific question, and your response has been to try a search. I promptly ran searches on both questions, and did NOT get a response that would have satisfied the original poster. How about running your own search before you snap off a response like that :rolleyes:

Thank you. I get sick of someone asking a question and the firtst response is asking if a search has been done

Also thank you for the answers to my question

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeremy R said:
The reason I like it better is not complicated at all. It is smoother throughout the entire stroke. I barely use any propedal, it pedals well enough on its own.
It just rides way smoother, and the damping feels more controlled. Our entire team has mentioned the exact same things.
Like I said, that's the way my niller DH feels compared to the Romic. I was just wondering if you guys were using any of the bells and whistles on them. I guess my question was kind of a thinly veiled "do I need this shock?" question.

Sounds like I'm good with what I gots. I know my reservoir is mounted in a cooler looking spot. :devil: ;)

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Sorry for being seeming like a dick, I was not tryin to be like that, I am a much better speaker than writer. If I were able to speak to you it would have been more like this. "Did you try the search? I will also look around." Or something more to that tune, I am not the best writer, and I was not tryin to be a NAZI.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Jeremy R said:
Same here, and our team guys are pretty much having the same thoughts too.

The romic was a good shock, and some of us never had 1 problem with them last year, the DHX is just smoother, and feels better through the travel at all speeds. Sometimes the romic would seem to skip a cycle on real fast action where you'd feel the bike slam through its travel.

As mentioned the 05 frame has a beef'd up main pivot area, but the rest of the frame remains unchanged. The #'s are different on paper to assume 05 users are running 8" forks, 04 was based on 7" forks..

Depending on the cost difference (i didnt take the time to look) it could be worth it, but a few hundred bucks could also mean a better fork, or some other upgrade thats needed..... it may be a harder decision to make.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm getting an '05 DHR front triangle in exchange for my '04 so they're definitely intercompatible - I was hoping to scam some kind of sweet new technology in the deal but I'll settle for the better stickers and new colour. Would love to try one of the DHX shocks but at AUS$850 for the upgrade, I think I'll wait until it becomes more than just a "wish-list" purchase.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
binary visions said:

I think we need a search function to see if someone used the search function......

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
A friend of mine is getting it. He does not post here. He has needed a real DH for years. I have been trying to help him out the last couple of weeks. Hopefully I gave him the right advice, let me know. He wanted either a M3 or a Turner. I told him to go with the turner because every I know has loved them and because of the simpler design of the turner and the killer CS reputaion. He ordered everthing last night from go-ride. He went with the 2005 Turner frame and the race build kit
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_buildkits.html
It should be a pretty sick bike.

Dennis

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
denjen said:
A friend of mine is getting it. He does not post here. He has needed a real DH for years. I have been trying to help him out the last couple of weeks. Hopefully I gave him the right advice, let me know. He wanted either a M3 or a Turner. I told him to go with the turner because every I know has loved them and because of the simpler design of the turner and the killer CS reputaion. He ordered everthing last night from go-ride. He went with the 2005 Turner frame and the race build kit
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_buildkits.html
It should be a pretty sick bike.

Dennis
MAKE SURE he gets a FLUSH mount headset for the frame. Go-Ride sells them. DO not get a regular style headset or it will screw your geometry a little. FLUSH MOUNT!

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
oly said:
dude, if his shock does that i think i was short changed.......
don't feel short changed, he has a prototype DHX7.0. It has adjustable low and high frequency nut tickling capability.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Fulton said:
don't feel short changed, he has a prototype DHX7.0. It has adjustable low and high frequency nut tickling capability.
i heard Fox had a prototype DHX6.9, but the riders kept getting hurt using it while riding, so i guess they aborted that model for the plain nut tickling version of the 7.0......

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Fulton said:
that would certainly explain why Jeremy hoots, hollers and giggles like a frickin hillbilly school girl on prom night every time we do shuttles.... :confused: Anybody who's ever ridden with Jeremy can truly appreciate this joke. :oink: