Quantcast

2005 Long Travel Single Crown Forks

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
2005 Long Travel Single Crown Forks

With all these new forks that are on the market I thought it might be helpful to start a thread that can act as a resource to everyone in the market.
What I'd like to do is get the following information on each fork and ride opinions FROM ACTUAL OWNERS and their compairson to their old forks.

Info needed:

1) Fork Name
2) Travel
3) Weight
4) Axle to Crown measurement
5) Steerer (1.5 or 1.125)
6) Special features (ECC, ETA, Talas, SPV...)
7) 20mm axle or QR?

Anything else not pertinant to the thread will be deleted.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
I ran a Sherman Breakout Plus all season and enjoyed it for every course. Sea otter,tahoe,durango,mammoth,big bear. However, I am interested in riding a dual crown and seeing what the biggest difference is. Dorados are surely as flexy if not more so than the breakout so I am not convinced of the "advantages" of dual crown as of yet. Won't know til next season.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I just got the pike race. I dont know if 140mm meets your "long travel" requirement, but its longer than the 2002 z1 i just replaced. Initial impression is beefy. I can already tell this will be much stiffer than the old fork. Bigger tubes, wider crown. It came in heavier than the claimed weight of 4.95 lbs. For reference though my z1 was 5.36 lbs, so for me i wont notice the weight. The Team ive heard is on target for weight of 4.75lbs. the difference between the 2 is the race has a steel steer and a solid crown, where the team is alloy/hollow. Ive yet to trail ride the fork, but i did the standard driveway ride. Their new "lockout" so far feels good. The lockout still allows like 20mm of travel, then gets really progressivly stiff. It feels like you could still break it free if you managed to drop with it closed. This will be a change from the ETA i was used to. I was able to slam the fork down in the past for those real tough climbs, i had stopped using it latley in anticipation of having a different system. I dont see travel adjust on the RS system as being an on the fly tool, but more an option to make the fire road climbs more bareable, or change the handling of your bike for different terrain. The Floodgate adjustment also does make a notable difference. You could feel the difference with just pushing on the fork from each full turn of the valve. Last is Maxle. As peter griffin would say "Its freaking sweet". Ultra fast wheel removal as claimed. No tools of any sort needed, and blows the old RS sysyem away.

After ive trail ridden it i may comer back and edit in another review.

Specs...
1) F2005 RockShox Pike Race
2) 95-140mm
3) 5.48 lbs (stock out of box)
4) Havent gotten this one, its a tad taller than my old z1.
5) 1.125"
6) U turn, Compression Lockout, Motion Control Damping, MAXLE.

Old VS new:

Mounted:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Heath Sherratt said:
I ran a Sherman Breakout Plus all season and enjoyed it for every course. Sea otter,tahoe,durango,mammoth,big bear. However, I am interested in riding a dual crown and seeing what the biggest difference is. Dorados are surely as flexy if not more so than the breakout so I am not convinced of the "advantages" of dual crown as of yet. Won't know til next season.
i have a buddy who ran both an '03 dorado and a breakout+ on his evil; he claimed the sherman felt stiffer & was his preferred fork of the two.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1) All Mountain 1
2) 130-150mm
3) 4.92lbs with cut steerer on shop scale, 5.07lbs uncut
4) A2C is 518mm in 130mm setting 538mm in 150mm setting
5) 1.125 steerer
6)

ETA, will lock down just as far in either 5 or 6" travel mode, so the travel setting does not interfear with ETA at all.

TST, low speed compression adjuster, adjusts from full open to lockout, with intermediary settings. The middle setting is called "all mountain", reduces brake dive, blah blah...

One side coil, other side air. Riders of different weights do not need to buy new springs, simply vary the air pressure.

Travel adjustable on the trail, not on the fly as the adjuster is at the bottom of the left leg, but travel can be set anywhere between 5 and 6".

Damping system is completely new, this is not HSCV, it uses a bladder-type damper system that is supposedly more in line with current motocross technology.

The reason I bought this is due to the weight, adjustable travel, and Z1/Z150 feel. It's plush as crazy, but with ETA and TST you can make it feel completely different. Rides like a dream. Feels like a DH fork is bolted on the front of my trail bike when I have it in 150mm mode, also can be extensively ridden in this mode with the ETA. Overall it's a great fork, I recommend it.

Attachments

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
1) Sherman Breakout Plus
2) 5 or 7 inches
3) 5.8 claimed
4) 512/552mm
5) Steerer 1.5
6) SPV + some black box drilling.

so the history of this for is this.

now that 7' single crows are out there, they were a pefrect fork
for my light dh race bike. i would only use a 1.5 7'' singlew crown.
i take the fork out and put it on my new inedible.

fit is good and feal is OK :rolleyes: . it is a little sticky but i thought
it would break in.

Vermont 04 NCS:
i play with the spv putting the correct
min 75 psi in and it makes the fork way too harsh. my hands are
killing me after one run. lower to 50 psi and have manitou techs
look at it. "O,they say this was misasemble from the factory."
they do some work on it and it feel better but still sticky. it just had
no flutter like my marzocchis. i race it and it's ok but i am still
disapointed.

Durango 04 NCS:
i have taken the fork apart at home after training at albquerque.
it will get like 4'' super stickky. i lube it and use oil like they
say to do. it gets a little better. but now i have liek 20 psi mabey
to make it smoother. i train on this malfunctioning fork 2 days.
sunday comes and i do my morning runs and it is back to 4'' sticky
mode. i take it to manitou and talk to Lance. he is my only contact
there and he is THE guy to have on your side. he felt it and knew
like me i would DIE trying to race that at Durangos track. he was
like, take it off and i will fix it right now. i did and he started work
on it. first he lubed the spv with a stcky grease. the raped a new xc
fork out of the box for its ?valves? i wish i asked and remembered.
put those and and drill out something? again i wish i was asking?
ispected the lowers and i had plenty of grease in there. so they go
back together and we feal of them. he said" ok now feel this!" i feel
them with a side load and i am thinking " they still suck?" what do i
say aftyer he dropped everything to worl on my fork and it is marganlly
better! so i let him feel it. he is like Ohhh. well? uuMM. takes it away
back to the bench and thinks the bushing are too tight. he takes the
lowers from the uppers and then put only one leg back at a time to
feel the bushing tolerances. there it was, way too tight! So, he said
you atatched to your camo lowers. i was like NO. so he opend a new
breakout and got me new lowers off it.

100% like it should be. i can now tune the spv, get full travel and have
some flutter. not like a oil bath for but good anyway.

it was so different i almosted died going over that first rock when my
fork actually conpressed. :p

The moral of the story is that: a new fork is not a sure thing.

non oil bath forks take maintanace to feel good.

i rate my for a 7 out of 10
i don't like the spv it just makes the
fork have less feel.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
1) Fork Name = SHerman Firefly plus
2) Travel = 150mm bottoms out at 5.9"
3) Weight = 5.1 pounds
4) A/C = 21.5"
5) Steerer = 1.125
6) Special features = ETA, SPV Evolve

I replaced 02 standard qr Jr T's on my bullit with these forks. I only gave up .5" A/C so the bike rode pretty much the same. Although steep drop in's are a little more scarey.

They feel like they have more travel than the 170mm Jr T's. I even tweaked the springls and oil height on the Jr T to the max. Way more torsionally stiff than the Jr T's. About the same fore aft flex as the Jr T's.

I got the 05 Firefly about 4 months ago. I have decided to go back to DC forks mainly because the .5" A/C difference is more important now because my skill level has improved and a slacker HT inspires more confidence.

I think I will get the 05 Slider plus. My friend has the 04 Sherman Breakout plus with 170mm travel and the 05 SPV evolve is way way way better on the small bumps.

These are nice forks. I am selling them and they have the tru axle and a 9" steerer tube.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as a point of reference for these single crown axle-crown measurements, the '02-earlier Monster T has 175mm travel and a claimed 550 mm (21.65") axle-crown distance. food for thought, especially given the tremendous uproar about running the monster on any bike just a few years ago. "it'll be too raked out!" well, now you people are putting forks of equal length on your trail bikes, so i hope you like the view from up high.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Axis said:
1) Fork Name = SHerman Firefly plus
2) Travel = 150mm bottoms out at 5.9"
3) Weight = 5.1 pounds
4) A/C = 21.5"
5) Steerer = 1.125
6) Special features = ETA, SPV Evolve...
I rode one of these forks this past weekend down Tunnel in SB, it felt almost exactly like my 170mm Slider+ only a hair flexier. I was pleasantly impressed with the fork and would absolutely consider one for my own ride. It also compresses down to 110mm (from 150mm) for efficient climbing and XC-esque geometry. The fork was acutually mounted to a Raleigh Ram XT 3500 that also surprised me with an overall better-than-expected feeling. I currently own a Fox TALAS RLC and have had a Psylo SL, 5" Z1 MCR, and many other semi-comparable SC forks in the past. When is Manitou gonna offer "rapid travel wind-down" or whatever on the Shermans (including the DC's!!!) like they do on the Minute? With that feature this fork would be on my bike instead of the Fox 36 I am waiting for.

Sherman Firefly Plus :thumb:

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
1) Fork Name = Zocchi Z1 Fr 150mm 2005 modell
2) Travel = 150mm
3) Weight = 2.58kg (5.6 lbs)
4) A/C = 538mm
5) Steerer = 1.125
6) Special features = ETA, air preload, external rebound adjuster, 20mm axel(NOT QR20)

Compared to my old Z1 DropOff1 it is stiffer, suits my 6" RFX better, feels bottomless. It's tall enough, I can't ride a Nixon or Pike I guess, would be too short. Generall Marzocchi quality travel, just forget the fork is there, it just works.

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
1) Rock Shox Pike Team with Poploc
2) 95mm – 140mm
3) I haven weighed them on a good set of scales but I think they are heavier than the clamed weight but still a good weight for this style of fork.
4) Axle to crown measured from the centre of the axle to the bottom of the crown race is 520mm or 20 ½ “
5) Steerer 1 1/8

I have got these forks for a Rocky Mountain Pipeline (that I got of one of you monkeys) and I am building this bike up as a bit of a do it all bike.

I was going to go for the Pike fork or the Marzocchi All Mountain one fork, I went for the pike because it was cheaper, I didn’t want 150mm and I got a very good deal on the fork.

The forks are nice and plush out of the box bit I think they are a bit to soft for me and I am about 190lbs, which I think is about an average weight, so I would like to put a stiffer spring in them eventually.

The adjustments are good but the floodgate adjustment doesn’t really do much for me until the last few turns, but the adjustment is there and works.

The U-Turn is just the same as on any other Rock Shox Fork and works well.

Rebound adjustment is good and you get a lot more adjustment then the half a turn I had on my Boxxer.

The Poploc trigger is very handy and fits well on the handle bars (especially next to a Sram shifter). The lock out is very different than what I was used to on my Marzocchi forks I had on my XC bike. The lock out is always active on the pike and can be adjusted on the Floodgate to fine-tune it. I like it on the max setting so that when it is locked there is quite a solid feel to the fork but there is still about 20mm of travel active to track the ground. The fork will still blow off on big impacts when locked to save you, if you forget that you have left it on.

The Compression adjuster on the Poploc trigger dose work but the adjustment is very fine but this might change when I put a stiffer spring in.

As Oly said the Maxle is a really good bit of kit and works very well.

Overall so far it is a very good fork. It is well made and the arch on it is beefy. The fork is nice and smooth out of the box. It has got a lot of adjustment that dose work and the trigger on the handlebars is very useful and easy to use. Its not a stupid weight and not to tall.
The only things that I would like to change are the spring rate and the name, why did they have to call it the PIKE.
Apart form that a very good fork.

Also dose anybody know what this plastic part is? It was in with the manual and I cannot see what is dose but its going to annoy me until I find out what it dose.

Attachments

I borrowed my friend's Enduro last week. He has the New Nixon from Manitou. It's got 145mm of travel on it, but Keith got the Nixon platinum so it has the remote lock out. Not my first choice for a big hit fork. The Nixon has the option for no remote lockout though. But I am going with Z150 when I get my Heckler. Mainly because it's proven and the technology works.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'm not a big fan of preload Knobs, I like travel adjustment systems like the TALAS, or the Nixion. When you slam a Sherman into its lowest setting you get next to no sag, and the suspension does feel good at all. (I know its because this function is designed for climbing) I wish a company would come up with a fork that I could put at 130mm for riding trails, and then slam down to 100mm or 80mm for dirt jumping, and skatepark. Oh, and not break me financially at the same time

Chris R.

Chimp
Sep 16, 2001
Cup-town
1) Marzocchi 66RC '05
2) 170mm
3) slightly lighter than a Super T ~7.5 lbs.
4) rather tall, 23.25"
5) standard 1 1/8"
6) 35mm stanctions, ext. rebound, ext. compression, air assist
7) TRUE 20mm thru axle

I've been riding this fork for about 2 months now. It replaced my 03 Super T. I have no complaints at all with this fork. It is by far the stiffest single crown you can buy and can easily handle anything you throw at it. SOLID.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
1) Marzocchi 66RC
2) 150mm - internally adjustable to 170mm
3) 7.0# (cut), 7.25# uncut
4) 22.5"
5) 1.125 Super-Duty - steel with additional steel plug insert
6) pure HSCV goodness with 30-click Comp. and Reb. ext. adjustment
7) 20mm axle

8) The world's first advertised DH/XFR single crown fork.

Ride impressions to be added and updated periodically. Pics to come also.

S3C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Edmonton, AB
1) Marzocchi Z1 Freeride 3
2) 150mm (can be internally adjusted to 130mm)
3) just under 6 pounds - uncut
4) 20.5"
5) 1.125 (steel)
6) Dual SSV System
7) 20mm axle

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
'05 z.1 fr1 w/ ETA

I was gonna wait, but figured I'll just post and then repost a review later, I haven't ridden it only mounted it, I'm stoaked on the fork should be good stuff! My head angle on my heckler felt to steep for me with a 130mm sherman, so this should slack things out nicely...

review coming in a few months....

OGRIPPER- both the ETA and Rebound adjustment knobs clear the downtube with about 5-10mm's of clearance, I can stick my pinky finger in there no problem, so yeah no problems with X's or bar spins

badaddis

Chimp
Dec 14, 2004
Z1 FR3, and I love it. It climbs very nicely, and descends like all hell. My bike weighs about 40 lbs as it is, so I don't care too much about the weight. 6" travel is awesome too.

Attachments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
wrote this up sorta quick like for some folks over on bikeforums.net. it's a bit simply written, as most of those guys seem to be far less technicaly inclined than most of us here.......

Comparisons directly to my 04 Marzocchi Z-1FR QR version, the fork I replaced with the Pike. So far, I'm very much liking the Pike, moreso than the Z-1. The only concern I have at this point is long term durability, and service intervals, as opposed to the bombproof set-it-and-forget-it of Marzocchi reputation. I'm gambling that SRAM has fixed that-this fork was *allegedly* designed from the ground up by a whole new team of engineers at SRAM. Linkage to other stuff at the bottom.

Rock Shox 05 Pike Team 140mm, non-remote lockout version. 20mm Maxle system.

External adjustable rebound and compression, as well as travel from 95mm to 140mm.

crown to axle height is 518mm, same as the z-1. i did swap to a 1cm higher rise bar at the same time, but also removed 1cm of spacer from under my stem, so my actual ride height has not changed between the two forks. i'm 5'9" and weigh 140#, plus gear when on the bike. i'm using the stock springs so far. clearance for fatties looks good: i've had a 2.6 nokian, a 2.6 specialized, and a 2.7 maxxis all fit just fine.

it weighed in at a little less than 5# right out of the box. on my somewhat accurate digital scale, including the 20mm axle. my new wheel build weighs less than the old, so i ended up dropping nearly 1/2# off the front end of my bike. part of this is the lighter wheel, and the fact that the oil volume is about 150ml less than in the z-1; this means nearly 1/3# just in less oil. installed beautifully. no problems cutting the steertube, setting the crown race, instaling the wheel, or setting up the brakes. granted, i am using the avid cps, which makes setting up brakes a breeze, so i wouldn't even no if the IS tabs are off, unless by a huge margin.

you will need a new wheel built, as the fork is 20mm axle compatable only. i chose to go with the very nice hope bulb 20mm hub; it's convertable back to regular QR if you want. (though it takes a $25 kit to do so)
the maxle is incredibly easy to use; the reports of it being quicker and easier than a regular QR lever are true. it's fantastic, simple, and a no-brainer. feels very secure, and i foresee no problems with stripping, or loosening. the maxle basically threads into the disc brake side dropout, then the skewer cam action spreads the two ends of the axle apart to clamp agains tthe inside of the dropouts, left and right. the threaded portion of the dropout appears to be replacable in case they get mangled, though i don't see that happening unless one is a *very* hamfisted mechanic. the whole maxle is easy to take apart, and replacement parts can be had as needed.

this fork is stiffer than my old z-1, likely due more to the 20mm axle than anything else. but it was noticable on the first ride, just playing around in the parking lot. tracks and steers very precisely. i was also using a very light, small bearing-ed hub with the old fork-that surely made a difference.

the rebound adjust is highly tunable, and i noticed a distinct difference in the two extremes of the settings. very wide stock range of infinite adjustability. i've only adjusted it once, during my frist trail ride, and have left it alone since. it's on the bottom of the right (drivetrain side) leg. further changes to rebound would have to be achieved with different spring rates, or changing to a lighter or heavier oil, which i've had no need for. the z-1 rebound adjust worked, but the range was much narrower.

the travel adjust is on top of the left (non-drivetrains side) fork leg. cranks the spring down from full 140mm travel, to 95mm, and does steepend the head angle. it does increase the spring rate, though the remaining travel is very usable. i've only used this twice. once during a trail ride, for some moderate length climbs; worked well, and didn't come undone on its own-something the ETA feature of the z-1 did at times. the other was during about 3 hours of playtime on the CU campus. hops, jumps, drops, and some trialsy stuff(i'm a hack). i left it mostly at about 100mm of travel, to steepen things up while urbaning.

compression/lockout/floodgate adjust on top of the right leg. from fully locked out, to fully open. works very well, so far. no slippage in the sytem. the floodgate basically allows you to set the blowoff point of the compression when locked out. ie; how large of a hit tit takes to make the fork move when locked out. very nice when climbing, or other times when you may not want the fork bobbing, but still want it to suck up some bigger hits. i've so far only used this during that same urban session. works as advertised. again, infinite adjustability, within its range.

travel feels very good. i've used about 135mm at max so far (by sip tie on the leg measuring method), and it feels extremely smooth. the cliched "plush" description applies here. i've not bottomed it yet, though the largest i've done so far is a 4' drop to flat, and about 5' to transition. that's about the largest i go anyhow, so i may not bottom the fork, unless i end up pulling a bad landing. keep in mind this is a burly trail bike fork, not really a full on free ride or DH fork. rock shox needs to fill in that gap in their line-something between the boxxer for DH racing, and this for trailriding. hmmm. what else? it's quieter than the z-1, FWIW.

the bad: only one thing so far. the compression adjust knob was a bit loose fitting (and was moving on it's own during the first ride, and i couldn't get the stock fitting to tighten more. i fabbed up my own, shown in one of the links further down. other than that, i am *extremely* happy with the fork.

mods to suit my needs/wants: i replaced one of the stock bottom bolts with an alloy bolt, and a new crush washer, torqed to spec. i redid the compression adjuster knob, as shown inthe link. umm, i peeled the stickers off; that took a bit-those suckers were on there good! whew. there ya go. ok. linkage. Dave out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...&highlight=Pike

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_fr...ct_124430.shtml

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
gmac said:
But, my guess is trail application of the 66 will be vy limited or at least vy strongly towards the non-climbing side of trail riding. But, I guess that is what this product was intended for.
Actually, if you use their site the 66 is intended for DH and Extreme FR. The Z.1 is their light FR and trail dual-purpose fork.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
retrofred said:
am thinking of upgrading my current fork(04 z150) to an 05 66rc 7" travel. fork is going on my 03 medium bullit. any thoughts?
Big change is the length. Only 20mm more travel, but over 2" more height. Will change your geo/steering/balance dramatically. Could be a great thing or a terrible thing. The 66 is much more solid feeling than the Z-series, due to a much larger chassis. Much more tire/mud clearance. Getting rid of the silly qr20 flaps was another plus to me. For you the weight shouldn't go up much, maybe 1/2 pound over your '04 z150.

For me doing a very similar change ('03 Z.1 130mm to '05 66RC 150mm) was just what the bike needed. My angles are better for DH/FR, and my BB is higher for better clearance at all speeds. I however have no real hopes of riding much XC on this bike anymore, the fork is just not good for that. All depends on your needs.

PRELOADED

Chimp
Sep 15, 2002
Rhode Island, USA
Great fork - very tall - 1" taller axel-crown then my SuperT - same geometry on my racelink as the Avalanche DH8 - and causes a 65.5 head angel on the bullit. If you like slack - it's for you, ...jack very stiff and plush - would make a good DH racefork. Mine weighed 7.1 lbs with steerer cut... here are some pix/links

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71983
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71982
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71425

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
1) Fox 36
2) Travel: 5.75"
3) 5.3lb (including SNF and axle)
4) Axle to Crown = 21" exactly
5) Steerer 1.125"
6) Special features: TALAS, high & low speed compression adjust
7) 20mm axle
8) Color: Poo

I can't comment on the ride just yet, we've still got too much snow. I'll update after I get a chance to ride it.

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I noticed that some are claiming a 21.5" A2C for the 6" Manitou Sherman/Stance forks. I measured damn near exactly 21" even. What's up??? I assume you are measuring from the center of the axle to the crown-race mounting surface...

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
Bulldog said:
So much for "sub 5 pounds" as they say on their website. A full coil Z.1 is only 5.5-5.6 pounds.
that's including the axle...
they probably don't include that in their posted weights..

and i doubt the other mfgr do either..
in fact, i doubt Marzocchi included the weight of the oil in their forks..
especially since they seem to ship the forks less oil...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Bullitboyz said:
that's including the axle...
they probably don't include that in their posted weights..

and i doubt the other mfgr do either..
in fact, i doubt Marzocchi included the weight of the oil in their forks..
especially since they seem to ship the forks less oil...
My weight for my 66RC includes the axle, steerer, and setup for a 230 pound rider. It is right on where it's claimed to be. So apparently your theory is invalid these days.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
Bulldog said:
So apparently your theory is invalid these days.
apparently.

however i have a 66RC and it feels like it weighs 40 pounds...

anyways the thing that kills me in the Zokes is the huge difference in axle to crown... i hate raked...

but that's just me.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It would be fair to not include the axle since 20mm hubs are typically about 20-40 grams or so lighter than a comparable QR hub. I bet most aluminum axles only weigh about that or a tad more...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
1) '05 Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus
2) Travel: 130mm or 170mm
3) Weight: 5.8 lbs (claimed)
4) Axle to Crown: 512mm at 5" travel; 552mm at 7" travel
5) Steerer: 1.5
6) Special features: SPV Evolve damping, Rapid Travel II travel adjust switch (5" or 7"), external rebound adjuster, Hex Lock axle with updated 4mm allen head bolts
7) 20mm axle

At first I was pretty stoked on this fork because of its (relative) light weight, superb stiffness, and long travel. It felt a bit sticky at first, but I figured it would break in. I was wrong. I have found the SPV damping to be very unnecessary, because although it provides good pedaling performance, it drastically reduces the plushness of the fork, even when run with minimal platform pressure.

Strength, stiffness, and weight of the fork are superb. The damping sucks. SPV Evolve is claimed to be more plush than original SPV, but it just makes the fork feel like it has a ton of stiction.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Wow! I really can't believe these numbers. My dorado is only 21.5" axle to crown when its almost as high as it can go. 23.5" for a 66? Just thought Id throw that out there on a comparative note. Does the fox only come in that atrocious poo color? Id be forced to boycott on pure aesthetics.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
bumpin it. Lets get some updates now that they have been out for awhile.
Is the 66 really that tall? Any seals blow all too hell? Bolt torque issues perhaps? Share it ... share it with your fellow monkey. If it's good, show us your pride. If its bad, share your pain.
If your as drunk as I am, give someone your keys. :blah:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
punkassean said:
It would be fair to not include the axle since 20mm hubs are typically about 20-40 grams or so lighter than a comparable QR hub. I bet most aluminum axles only weigh about that or a tad more...
Um, only on convertable hubs like the hope bulb. Any other QR hub will be significantly lighter than a 20mm hub.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Come to think of it, I did base that off the fact that my old Stealth hub weighed like 200gm as a QR and only like 180-something as a 20mm. Why is that, it seems like a 20mm would be lighter because there is less material? Also the skewer is eliminated so that counts for something I guess...

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Fork #1

1) Manitou Nixon Super
2) 0-130mm
3) 4.2 lbs
4) 17.75"
5) 1 1/8
6) Infinite Travel!
7) Have both 20mm and QR

Fork #2

1) Manitou Minute 3
2) 100-130
3) ~3.5
4) dunno
5) 1 1/8
6) SPV - better on rear shocks than forks
7) QR

I love the Nixon, it's a cross between a Sherman and a Minute.. so you get the best of weight and hardcore.. i have Sherman 20mm lowers that i can throw on.. I have the Minute on an XC bike now and the Nixon on the All Mountain bike - infinite travel takes some getting used to (i.e: weight on the fork to compress and take it off to release), but this is a very short learning curve.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
BuddhaRoadkill said:
bumpin it. Lets get some updates now that they have been out for awhile.
Is the 66 really that tall?
My 66 ain't gettin' any shorter. Yeah, it's really that tall.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
'05 Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus
2) Travel: 130mm or 170mm
3) Weight: 5.8 lbs (claimed)
4) Axle to Crown: 512mm at 5" travel; 552mm at 7" travel
5) Steerer: 1.5
6) Special features: SPV Evolve damping, Rapid Travel II travel adjust switch (5" or 7"), external rebound adjuster, Hex Lock axle with updated 4mm allen head bolts
7) 20mm axle

I did not have any of teh sticking problems mentioned above.
The fork is butter-plush, and I don't even mind (or notice) the SPV.
I was really supprised how much this fork feels like a tripple crown.
Weight is pretty good too.

It feels more like a coil than an Air fork.
Very happy with it.
I though that finding Stems might be a problem for 1.5's, but Answer makes stems in ALL lenghts, rises, and OS/Standard bar sizes.
:thumb: