Quantcast

2005 Madness!

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Please excuse me if these have already been shown here, but I thought everyone might want to see the new Specialized shiznit. The new SX is cool, but paint is lame, and the rest are self explanitory. Sorry about the quality, I had to take pictures of the 2005 catalogue when my roommate wasn't looking :D .

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Yeah man, but have you seen the prices for the Demo bikes? It's ridiculous. The 2005 Demo 9 Pro (formerly the Demo 9 DH) now costs $5500, up from a measly $5200 in 2004. The frame alone now sells for $3300 (the 2004 frame cost $2800). The Demo 8 ain't much better. The top-of-the-line model sells for $4900, and the frame is about $2700. And these bikes are both made in Taiwan. These bikes do come with titanium springs on the Swinger shocks for 2005, so that explains some of the price increase, but the shocks have been downgraded from the Swinger 6-way to the 4-way model. Nice bikes? Yes. But ludicrous pricing. For that amount of money, I'd buy a Turner or a Santa Cruz, and I'd still have some left-over money for parts.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ben,

those prices are always higher than what they go for, and you work at a shop, so your price would be stellar
Both of those frames are new. They took a lot of weight out of the demo9, its not last years frame.

The Taiwan argument is lame, both of those frames are built at quality levels equal to or above a US hand crafted. Forged headtubes, robotic welding, lots of fancy extrusions. There is a lot of crazy expensive design going on.

The only thing I agree with you on is that a 4 way and a ti spring isn't better than a 6 way Swinger. They opted for weight savings at the cost of adjustability, not a smart move IMO.

Specialized is making a move towards high end. The frames are getting a lot better and it shows in the price. They are selling at boutique brand prices, but have the performance to back it up. And a warranty dept. that actually might help you, something that some other companies don't ;)

If it's too expensive don't buy it, I don't think Spec. will have any problem selling them to someone else.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
not to hijack this thread, but ti spring prices are a total scam. was talking to an acquaintance at a shock company who admitted that Ti springs could retail for $99 and everyone in the chain could make a good profit.

getting them fabricated in bulk is actually pretty cheap, apparently.

interestingly, i heard that manitou Ti fork springs are a fairly cheap upgrade compared to the $200 ripoff most shock companies are charging.

Sherminator

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Canada!
I saw pics of those bikes over on mtbr.The new Enduro is really nice,Ilike it alot more than this years model.

Woot-first post on ride monkey.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
If I were to get one, I'd have to change the shock out anyhow and get a DHX. I think the top of the line Demo 8 might be my next bike, I love that thing. Plus I tried Duncan's Fox fork and that thing is by far the best feeling fork I've ever ridden, plus he has the heavy version.

face planter

Chimp
Jul 29, 2004
those bikes are awsome.and i dont see why any 1 would even konsider buying a ti spring for 150$ and thats not even how much they cost they cost more!!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
Ben,

those prices are always higher than what they go for, and you work at a shop, so your price would be stellar
Both of those frames are new. They took a lot of weight out of the demo9, its not last years frame.

The Taiwan argument is lame, both of those frames are built at quality levels equal to or above a US hand crafted. Forged headtubes, robotic welding, lots of fancy extrusions. There is a lot of crazy expensive design going on.

The only thing I agree with you on is that a 4 way and a ti spring isn't better than a 6 way Swinger. They opted for weight savings at the cost of adjustability, not a smart move IMO.

Specialized is making a move towards high end. The frames are getting a lot better and it shows in the price. They are selling at boutique brand prices, but have the performance to back it up. And a warranty dept. that actually might help you, something that some other companies don't ;)

If it's too expensive don't buy it, I don't think Spec. will have any problem selling them to someone else.
Oh yeah? Well you know what, Noah? I don't like your attitude! :mumble:

:D

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
zark , i agree that spec is moving towards hi-end and i guess they know what they are doing, but how high are they pointing???
at 3300 $ us , the d9 is the single most expensive frame currently on sale , and with all do respect to the demo line (which i like very much btw) , it just aint worth it. even a dhs mono with ti spring and floater doesnt cost that much , not to mention a dhr for 1300 $ less ,new v10 for 800$ less (with hadley and ti) and a m3 for 500 $ less , just to name a few.
and about weight , the only diffs are a lighter link and the ti spring (max 1 lb lighter) , so nothing to justify the 500 $ difference.
further more , the d9 pro kit is pretty lame imho with home grown tires , headset, seat post and a handle bar ,which cant be right on a 5500 $ bike.
the d8 is the same story , though i like the fact that the upper model comes with the new fox (why not on the d9 as well ,is the d8 the new dh model???).
all in all , i still like spec very much (ride a bighit) , their bikes handle great ,most of their products are of high quality and the warrenty is imho one of the best in the ind.

i just hope that they wont hurt themselvs with those high prices.

gil

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dexterq20 said:
Oh yeah? Well you know what, Noah? I don't like your attitude! :mumble:

:D
That was a pre-coffee post, I must apologize ;)

:p Get down here so we can ride biatch! School is starting pretty soon right?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Man that SX looks like ass.

I love specialized but with the new pricing I doubt I will ever be able to get one. Too frugal for my own good. Looks like my next bike is ironhorse, ironically this was the first company I said I would be a repeat customer for....looks like I can't afford to be a repeat customer. :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well the thing with the pricing is that that is all MSRP, any good shop will sell it for a lot less. Plus, they are way better than any other bike in terms of the FSR design. But I do agree, they are pretty expensive.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'm not convinced that the switch to the 4-way is such a bad move. Possibly a blessing in disguise, saving Manitou owners the hassle of multiple returns after the compression knobs start sh**ing oil all over the place. Unless, of course, the persistant leaking problem has been solved. I also can't wait to ride the Demo8 with the fox DH fork. The SX paint, is, indeed whack.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
That was a pre-coffee post, I must apologize ;)

:p Get down here so we can ride biatch! School is starting pretty soon right?
I'm moving in on Sept 19, which isn't soon enough. :(

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Roasted said:
Man that SX looks like ass.

I love specialized but with the new pricing I doubt I will ever be able to get one. Too frugal for my own good. Looks like my next bike is ironhorse, ironically this was the first company I said I would be a repeat customer for....looks like I can't afford to be a repeat customer. :)
Word.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
ilfreerider said:
does anybody know if the fox dh rc2 (that comes on the d8) is the upper level version (there is also a r version)?
We have a copy of the new catalog in our shop, and all it says under "fork" for the Demo 8 Pro is "Fox 40 RC2".

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
marlopez said:
is the sx going to come as a complete bike?
both SX's (trail 6", Race 4.2") will be available as complete with very nice builds! The SX race will be avail. as a frameset only also...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
punkassean said:
both SX's (trail 6", Race 4.2") will be available as complete with very nice builds! The SX race will be avail. as a frameset only also...
If this has been posted already, my bad, but...

The SX Trail comes with the new Marzocchi 66 single crown fork and a 5th Element coil shock, which has never been seen on a production Specialized before. This bike is replacing some of the mid-range Big Hit models as the light-duty freeride bike.

The SX Race comes with a 5th Element air shock :drool:, which is a HUGE upgrade over last year's Fox Vanilla R. The complete bike will also come with the new Fox 36 TALAS fork.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I got a chance to pedal around a bit on the '05 S-Works Enduro at Downieville the weekend before last. The 5th air felt really good (surprisingly), it had a discernible platform that could be overcome by slamming your weight onto the saddle or hitting a bump. It pedaled very well for a 6" bike and felt to weigh about 32lbs at the very most. The bike had a Nixon fork because Fox hasn't got any working prototypes of the 36 ready yet, but the Nixon felt almost exactly like my old 6" Sherman. It seemed fairly stiff and plush. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nixon come stock on some of the Enduro's listed as having the 36 if Fox has any trouble meeting demand.

The new Enduro's seem to be a nice step forward in long line of great bikes! I'm looking forward to getting more time in on one as soon as possible.

as they say in the rap world....

Big Pimpin'