Quantcast

2005 Marzocchi Z1 series, additional info.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Sorry if this is old news for anyone but,

Despite what is written on marzocchi's website wrt to Z1 series this year,

The Z1FR2 and Z1FR3 are convertable from 130mm to 150mm by repositioning a spacer inside the fork. That is directly from Marzocchi UK.

I was puzzled by the 130mm only FR2 and FR3 when i saw a 150mm Z1FR3 on mtbr. So good news for the non-ETA lovers out there.

BTW, the Z1FR1 because of the ETA is not convertable down to 130mm, it is only 150mm.

... FR2 here i come!!!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Aren't the Z1FR2 and Z1FR3 SSVF damped instead of HSCV?

In the past, the only damper that's been "convertible" is the SSV(F) damper...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Z1FR2 is HSCV
Z1FR3 is SSVF

Beats me bro which is convertible damper and which is not, but thats what i got from Marzo UK.

Now if anyone actually has a Z1FR2 can chime in at any time

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
math2014 said:
Z1FR2 is HSCV
Marz. has said in the past that you cannot convert their HSCV damped forks. I wonder if they made some kind of change to the internals that now allow them to be convertible?

Interesting...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
888 has a devised HSCV as far as i know.

888 comes in 7 or 8"
66 in 6 or 7"

So i would guess that its the same with the Z1... i dont know if that is accurate to be honest...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
math2014 said:
888 has a devised HSCV as far as i know.

888 comes in 7 or 8"
66 in 6 or 7"

So i would guess that its the same with the Z1... i dont know if that is accurate to be honest...
All of that is correct, but in order to convert the 888 or the 66 (or previous HSCV damped forks), you need new cartridges - both of them. To the tune of $300, if I recall correctly.

They're saying that the Z1FR2 is convertible with a spacer, which was previously only able to be done on the SSVF forks.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
binary visions said:
All of that is correct, but in order to convert the 888 or the 66 (or previous HSCV damped forks), you need new cartridges - both of them. To the tune of $300, if I recall correctly.

They're saying that the Z1FR2 is convertible with a spacer, which was previously only able to be done on the SSVF forks.
yes that is exactly what they say... that the Z1FR2 which is HSCV/SSVF goes from and to 130-150mm with only a spacer.

I specifically asked them what you said about new cartridges etc... and they said no, only a spacer does the job.

Now they told me that the Z1FR1 is not convertable... i wonder if ETA is what stands as an obstacle...

damn where is a zocchi expert when we want him

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
math2014 said:
Sorry if this is old news for anyone but,

Despite what is written on marzocchi's website wrt to Z1 series this year,

The Z1FR2 and Z1FR3 are convertable from 130mm to 150mm by repositioning a spacer inside the fork. That is directly from Marzocchi UK.

I was puzzled by the 130mm only FR2 and FR3 when i saw a 150mm Z1FR3 on mtbr. So good news for the non-ETA lovers out there.

BTW, the Z1FR1 because of the ETA is not convertable down to 130mm, it is only 150mm.

... FR2 here i come!!!!!
Yeah, that sound suspicious. The FR2 has an HSCV damper, which should not be "travel convertable". The FR3 should be because it's SSV.

Well, buy one and let us know!

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Jm_ said:
Yeah, that sound suspicious. The FR2 has an HSCV damper, which should not be "travel convertable". The FR3 should be because it's SSV.

Well, buy one and let us know!
I want 150mm but i dont want to pay +150$ for ETA, so i hope for 2005 marzocchi has indeed produced an HSCV damper which is travel convertable...

isnt there a monkey here that works for marzocchi USA?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Have other Marz forks been 1 leg HSCV, 1 leg SSVF?
Can someone comment on how that will perform compared to dual HSCV?

thanks!

-rob in NY

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
*Speculation* The SSV side of the Z1 2 is what makes it adjustable height-wise. You basically add a negative travel spacer to it, which cuts the height down. The HSCV cart doesn't care where it is.

This is from somebody who has never even seen one of these forks, but if I were to do it, that's how I'd do it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
maybe Brain P can chime in. I just got off the phone with him and he told me a Z1 is not adjustable down...and they are all out of Z1 II and Shiver SC so I ordered a Z1 anyway and we'll see how it goes. I'm trying to get a good slalom fork from Marzocchi but everything is 6 inches unless you get the SSV carts or a QR axle....neither of which I'm interested in...D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't get it. Why can't you just change the springs like you could on the old Z3s and Z1s? Remember, they came with 2 springs in each side. One that was only 1" long. By putting this spring on the other side of a spacer, you effectivly moved that 1" of travel from positive to negative.
Why does the cart care if it never uses it's top inch of travel?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Because the new (post-y2000) carts don't have that "spacer". The negative spring is internal to the cartridge; so when the fork tops out, that's the cart. rod squeezing the neg. spring against the top of the cart, internally. Before, it was the cart. squeezing the neg. spring against the snap ring at the bottom of the stanchion tube.

I guess you could hack something together by clamping a ring to the top of the cartridge body, and putting a snap ring into a groove machined into the bottom of the stanchion tube, and putting a neg. spring between the two, but shy of that, there's no way to shorten the travel on the post-2000 HSCV carts. Unless you want to open up the cart and put in a longer neg. spring, but I don't think they're open-able. :)

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Not having pulled one apart, but from reading descriptions, would the pistons position in the cartridge in relation to the openings in it be crucial to the performance? From a vague memory of a description, there's a shim at the top of the cart that controls the low-speed impacts, and moving the piston in to the cart would render this useless? I've got a very hazy idea in my head, if this doesn't make sense, tell me so.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Well DBR's idea that you do stuff on the SSV side of the fork and the HSCV remains unaffected makes sense to make, and complies with the story that the Z1FR1 is not adjustable since it has hscv/ETA and not hscv/ssvf .

I just hope

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ok, refresh me with a history lesson.
When did zokes introduce hsvc?
I thought ssvf was supposed to suck, but apparently both of my forks have it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
buildyourown said:
ok, refresh me with a history lesson.
When did zokes introduce hsvc?
I thought ssvf was supposed to suck, but apparently both of my forks have it.
Not sure exactly when it was introduced but the 1998 Super Ts and Monster Ts both had it so it's been at least 6 years. I'd guess it's been longer than that.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
binary visions said:
Not sure exactly when it was introduced but the 1998 Super Ts and Monster Ts both had it so it's been at least 6 years. I'd guess it's been longer than that.
So does my '00 Z1 have it?
This makes me want to go home and tear apart my fork to find out.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Well the marzo guys told me again that it is possible to do something with some negative springs and spacers which didnt make any sense to me. I ll ask the tech guy in monday... he ll know i hope.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
OK i'm an expert of sorts on marz-
1 -if you have a screw on the top of the fork to adjust the rebound speed then it is the GOOD hscv.
2 -If you want to use a fork for slalom you could get a Z1 fr3 and 1st,shorten the travel on one leg with a spacer,then 2 get a HSCV damper out of a Z1 fr1 (so you have good damping).If you allready have a Z1 fr1 you should be able to remove the eta and get a ssv assembly and shorten the travel of that to your desired travel.Oh and get stiff,short springs.
3 -The HSCV damper doesn't care where it is cuz the super cool speed sensitive shim is in the BOTTOM of the fork,not the top.
4-hscv came out way back in 96 when the first 'Bomber' came out,the orange 100mm Z1
cool?
Krispy.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
leprechaun said:
1 -if you have a screw on the top of the fork to adjust the rebound speed then it is the GOOD hscv.
2 -If you want to use a fork for slalom you could get a Z1 fr3 and 1st,shorten the travel on one leg with a spacer,then 2 get a HSCV damper out of a Z1 fr1 (so you have good damping).If you allready have a Z1 fr1 you should be able to remove the eta and get a ssv assembly and shorten the travel of that to your desired travel.Oh and get stiff,short springs.
3 -The HSCV damper doesn't care where it is cuz the super cool speed sensitive shim is in the BOTTOM of the fork,not the top.
4-hscv came out way back in 96 when the first 'Bomber' came out,the orange 100mm Z1
cool?
Krispy.
So the Z1FR2 can get to 150 and to 130 respectively?

Only the ETA bothers the travel adjustment?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
the z1 fr2 could/should be able to be adjusted to 130 from 150,yes.
Removing the eta is necessary to be able to install the ssv guts with the snapring and a spacer to reduce the travel.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hmm maybe I'll just send my fork to Krispy ;)....D

leprechaun said:
cool?
Krispy.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
leprechaun said:
the z1 fr2 could/should be able to be adjusted to 130 from 150,yes.
Removing the eta is necessary to be able to install the ssv guts with the snapring and a spacer to reduce the travel.

MArzo should definately hire you as a tech guy...

what is the snap ring?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
You cannot change the travel on anything except rootbeer bullits and even then only when you have no shock in it except a bar of wood which kinda compresses but is also kind of oversprung.

bob

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Norway
The 66RC is convertible from 150mm to 170mm, and from 170mm to 150mm.

You would have to move a spacer and turn the spring holder upside down.
This requires total disassembly of the fork.

Both the Z1 Fr 2 and Z1 Fr3 have "external" rebound springs.
The rebound spring is on the outside of the cartridge.

So you do not need to buy new cartridges to change travel.

On the Z1 Fr1 the rebound spring is on the outside of the rebound cartridge, but on the inside of the eta cartridge.
Next year it looks like it will be possible to open the eta cartridge, so technically it might be possible to change the travel.
But you would have to realy know what you are doing and have the right tools.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
bob said:
The 66RC is convertible from 150mm to 170mm, and from 170mm to 150mm.

You would have to move a spacer and turn the spring holder upside down.
This requires total disassembly of the fork.

Both the Z1 Fr 2 and Z1 Fr3 have "external" rebound springs.
The rebound spring is on the outside of the cartridge.

So you do not need to buy new cartridges to change travel.

On the Z1 Fr1 the rebound spring is on the outside of the rebound cartridge, but on the inside of the eta cartridge.
Next year it looks like it will be possible to open the eta cartridge, so technically it might be possible to change the travel.
But you would have to realy know what you are doing and have the right tools.

So the Z1FR2 ... how exactly is it convertable? same deal as the 66? or different procedure?

Might i ask where did you get that info and if you can enlighten me more?

Thanks
Yannis

bob

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Norway
You remove the spacer from under the rebound spring, and place it on top of the normal spring.

On the 66 its a bit more complicated, you need to turn a spring holder upside down, and also move a spacer.

If you are not sure, get help from a shop or someone who know how to do this.

I work for the Norwegian Marzocchi distributor, thats why I know this.