Quantcast

2005 mav 823 rims y/n?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
so i know that the early version of the 823 rims got a rep for flatspotting, and were replaced by the heavier (by over 100 g, as i recall) 823 rim that doesn't have the machined groove on the sidewall.

i have been stoked w/ the durability of my hadley/823 rims (new version), but for days when i'm pedalling the uzzi uphill i'm looking to build up a lighter UST front wheel / tire for more moderate (i.e. not northstar) riding. in general my front wheels get much less abuse/damage than my rear wheels.

i found a source for the older / lighter 823 version, but before i pull the trigger wanted to hear yer comments yay or nay.
?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm still using the older version rim, with extra air pressure I have yet to flat spot the rim. Before that I killed 4 ex823's @ N* because I ran the rear around 25psi, now it's closer to 30psi with good results.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My local shop has an old one sitting on the shelf. I'm tempted to low-ball them as I'd happily run it on the front.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I have an '05 and it is still perfect (through 55 hours at whistler and frequent use at home). My frame (pivots/bolts), and bb all shattered/bent and the wheel is still perfect. Ive also tacoed or bent three rims/wheels, and it def is still good, so its made its rounds (I also use a 2.8 tire w/ 40psi, so keep that in mind)