Quantcast

2005 Specialized BigHit FSR

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
First off, I appologise for the fact that this is probably the wrong fourm to post this in, but I cannot see a better one...It sort of a downhill bike afterall.

Secondly, I have done a search and very similar posts have come up but nothing that addresses my exact questions...

Having said that, I have been looking around on the internet at all the new 2005 bikes and came across the '05 Specialized big hit FSR (the one with the hot flames on the top tube) and said "Hell, 1800 USD for that bike is a good deal!" I don't know if that is a typo on Specialized's part but if that is the price, I am quite interested in this bike. What I will use this bike for will probably seem weird to some of you, but I do live on the prairies. I am aware that this is a 'downhill' bike, but please hear me out.

I love doing stunts, drops and jumps (urban and man-made), and feel that this bike will allow me to do so without it breaking (My Giant Warp frame broke, and the back rim bent up on me bad). I've gotten to the point where I do not want to do anything on this bike anymore for fear of having to spend more cash on repairing it.

I also need to do some XC. When I say XC I don't mean huge climbs, I mean riding along dirt, gravel, and grass paths to a friends house, or the like. I know this is not the ideal XC bike, of course, but I think that it would be acceptable for getting from one place to another. I go on some epic trips, (50+ km) but it is generally all flat.

At times I will take it to some resorts to get some serious use out of it. There isn't much on the prairies but there is some. This is where I will sustain some climbs (of course nothing major) and some more flat land riding, as well as some downhill and freeriding.

So this is what I plan to do with this bike. So what do you guys think? Will it work? Let it be known that I plan to keep this bike for a decent time period, so I think I can justify the cost. How will it do for my intended purposes?

I also have some additional questions:
1)24" rear wheel - a problem for my uses? I'd like to know more about this system.
2)Weight - does anyone know what is is? Is weight mainly a problem for climbs, what about flatland riding?
3)Chainrings - would it be feasible to put a three chain ring system on it?

So thank you very much for reading this lengthy post, and any comments at all, even "your crazy" would be greately appreciated!

buck

Chimp
Jan 26, 2003
poolesville/clemson for school
A buddy of mine has a 2004 Bighit, I think its about 45 pounds or so. He would take in on cross-country rides. Its just a lot more to push, but it can be done. Although he did just buy a shorter travel bike. I think its 6 inches front and rear to do xc and epic rides on, but strong enough to do drops and whatnot. So maybe looking into bikes with 5 ot 6 inches front and rear would be a bit more practical. Enough to do stuff with but light enough to ride around.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i'd reccomend it. i've got the 04 bighit expert and love it. i broke my trailbike so have been using this for my main bike for a while. i ride it cross country (up big, long hills) and it survives, but more importantly, i do. for a 42 lb freeride bike, i can ride it surprisingly comfortably as a trail bike. i don't notice the 24" rear wheel catching on rocks or anything much. it's easier to wheely drop stuff with it too. haven't noticed an increased ability to accelerate from it though, so i ponder it's purpose. you can get a new rear linkage through BETD that lets you run 26" in the back. you can run tripple rings on mine, it has double on it right now (e-type frnt drlr). i think it's the same for this year.

things i don't like:
-there's not enough room to run a manitou swinger 4 way coil with 600lbs spring in the 8.1 setting on mine
-stock parts to replace: pedals (with tioga mx pro), seatpost (titec scoperpost for trailbikeability), grips (salsa lockons)
-stock tires are soso
-can't accelerate to high speeds in small distance like bmx so tight jumps are harder
-put locktite on the lever reach adjuster on the hfx-9 or they'll vibrate loose

overall, i really like the bike.

and about the price, i remember hearing that the msrp was higher around $2500, but it might have been another bike, not sure.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks alot guys. I'm more enthusiastic about purchasing this bike IF the price is correct on the site (somehow I doubt it) I do agree that a bike with 5 or 6 inches would perhaps be more practical but I can't find one as good for the price. (if its right, of course) The lack of acceleration should not be an issue, what I was really worried about is if crusing at 25k or so would be made more difficult with a 24" rear. I do wonder if the weight is reduced for this year, the Kingpin is 7.1 pounds, not to bad for a dual crown? I was hoping the weight was sub-40 pounds but that might be unrealistic. I can't see the problems you had YETI187 being an issue to me, except the brakes issue. I don't think I'd switch shocks, or anything for that matter. Thanks again guys, and all you bighit owners, your 2 cents would be greately appreciated!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
dude ibe had a bighit for bout a year now and the one im riding is a bit more beefy then the one on the site. and i used it as my daily ride till i got a ht too. it def builds up ur legs and makes u a more efficiant peddler.hheres mine in both setups.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Thats a wicked bike. So perhaps is isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could weigh around 40 pounds. Now I'm seriously considering buying that bike if the MSRP is realistic. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to own that bike. No one around here has a bike like the big hit FSR. Thanks for your reply bhspec03!

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
But could the new FSR be close to 40 pounds? That would be great. Plus I think the FSR linkage is susposed to eliminate pedal bob, or was it not designed for that? And the Fox shock on it has propedal, not sure how well that works out though....

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Yes, but with some serious $ upgrades. My bet is that bone stock it's 42-43lbs and that's witha 7lb fork, 900 gm tires and XC tubes. You'd have to dump a buncha money for high end wheels if you'd want to dump a bunch of weight in one shot.

The linkage doesn't eliminate bob but the PP shock should help considerably.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
Not with Doubeltracks, granny seat and Intense tires...
umm those are mag 30s there way lighter. and i still had the bmx seat on it when i weighed it and i had the maxxis tires on it. i also used tuves made for 1.9-2.2. and it doesnt have that huuge linkage if oyu look at it. its an older model. ive weighed it a couple times its been round 43ish. oh and i made a typo in that 1st post it was measured w/ the shiver on it

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Does anyone actually own this very bike that I'm looking at or is it too early to own one? I think I remember someone having it from another thread...

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
dude all bighits are the same pretty much. just w/ dif specs. doesnt really matter. only thing on that bike thats possibly a problem is the stance kingpin. no ones had enough time on one yet to see if its decent. but its basic entry level so no biggie

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
My 02 DH with Slider +, Mag 30s and Redline cranks = 45lbs.

Since when are Mag 30s lighter than Double Tracks? They are the same rim and no Blue ano is not lighter than black ano. Same material and same extrusion = same weight.

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Go for the BigHit, it is the best bike you can get for that money and if the price is a typo, then look at the base model Kona Stinky. it is about $1,700 and similar in spec (not quite as nice).

Even if it is ~43# you can drop weight a few pounds easily with single-wall tires if you don't ride on really rocky trails and get pinch flats all the time.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Ive got an 04 bh comp, and its about 42 or 43 pounds. Coming from a trailbikish hartail i though that might be a problem, but i got used to it pretty quick and i maintain that it rides lighter than it is, and the spv definetly helps with the pedalling. I think the 05 is pretty much the same as mine other than the fork, and i would definetly endorse it.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I have an 03 bighit comp that I've upgraded almost completely. Before I bought the bike, I also was concerned about the 24" rear wheel and the weight. We don't have chairlifts around here, so other than the occasional shuttle, you have to earn your elevation.
I'm with the other guys, I think the 05 will be around 41- 42 lbs. I was very suprised to find out once I got mine how little the extra weight while RIDING, not just lifting up the bike in the parking lot. For me at least, it was MUCH less of an issue than I had expected. The 03 stock weighed in at 38, and mines probably up to 43 or 44.
The 24" rear also was much less of a problem then I envisioned. Other than having to carry two diffferent sizes of tubes, and dealing with the hassle of finding good 24" tires, it rides well, makes it easy to get over the back end, and manuals a treat (for a dh bike).
I've been riding my bighit hard for almost 2 years now and it has taken everything I have thrown at it without a complaint. They're great bikes, I say go for it.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
I've certainly got no question about the DH and FR ability of it. Its just how it will perform on flatland and trails...otherwise I'd be all over it. Cause I don't do DH and it is susposed to be a DH bike. That presents a problem to me. Thanks for the responses guys!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
My buddy HillaGorilla has his Bighit for sale in the Complete Bikes Forum in Buy/Sell.It's got a Shiver,Avalanche rear shock,Profile cranks etc etc......
He's only raced it 5 times and has a baby on the way.Has it up for sale for 1800.

I'm GravityFreakTJ and i approve this message :)

Jun 20, 2007
The real question is... can you make a somewhat decent All Mountain bike out of a Big Hit? What are some of the longer travel AM bikes weighing in at? I'm guessing around 35lbs. Yes, weight is a consideration because I will be hauling the fatty up hills for miles and I don't want to die before I even get to the top to bomb down. I'm really only hitting 4-5 ft drops right now but as I get better I don't want to build a new bike every step of the way. I gotta smokin' deal on this frame I just couldn't pass up. I could have it built with good parts for $700 total. Should I get out now and sell the frame or go for it? I'm gonna be riding a lot of South Mountain (phoenix), sedona, and flagstaff. Need some good advice on this one. That is XC,AM,DH Keep in mind...$700 budget

I say go for it. You already own the frame, build that sucker up and have a blast. The FSR frame is very versatile. Your bike may be a bit on the heavy side, but that's ok, it will just make you stronger riding it up the hills. I have an old FSR, and it makes a great do-it-all bike.

rhys.l

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
I'd go for it, you can definitely build them up light. Mine is 38 pounds, and by no means has any crazy light parts:

The 24" rear is no problem imo, you can fit 26" tubes in there with no more flats than what you would normally expect, and there are some decent tyres that come in 24". You can fit air shocks in as above with a little bit of modding, otherwise coils (dhxs etc) fit fine. They are a pretty strong, reliable frame as well.

Alex Crowe

Chimp
Jun 21, 2012
Gotta Be Honest with you guys its June 2012 and I'm still pedaling a 2003 BigHit and it still rocks! Upgraded alot of stuff on it though and it bombs everything. Question, though, does anyone have any idea on some original specs for the 2003 bighit? Just needing some info for parts and such. thanks

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
1 1/8" headtube, 68mm bb, 135mm 9mm hub, 8.75x2.75 shock.

What do you want to do to it? I wouldn't put too much money into it. You can get a nicer used bike for $800-1000.

Last edited:

SLOPE

Monkey
Aug 24, 2001
Arnold, Maryland
I love how there is a 5 year gap in the thread and you'd never know it without looking at the dates.

Old BigHit's are timeless!

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
well, gonna sound like an asshole, but I've had two bighits, and I'm glad I've moved on to bigger and better things.