Quantcast

2006 888 rc2x question

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
Hey guys, I have a 2006 888 rc2x that I got last year. I purchased the fork from a close friend / shop manager so I know its in great shape. I recently changed the oil out for this upcoming season. I drained the old oil out, cycled the carts a few times, measured out 220cc per leg of 7.5w golden spectra. I cycled the carts again before closing up the fork. The fork seemed kind of stiff in the 'driveway' test, so I figured maybe I had too much oil, drained it and did it again.

After a few hours of riding on Sunday, I measured the 'dust' mark on my stansions and I only seem to be getting 5.5 - 6" of travel out of the fork. I know I was getting full travel last season. I have the preload backed all the way off, last season I had some preload set. Compression is wide open. Any ideas? could air be trapped inside?..if so how do I get it out? I figured that if I had a substantial amount of air inside it would've blown past my seals (along with oil) on some of the drops this weekend. Let me know any ideas! Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Did you ever feel what seemed like a bottom out while riding it? If not, have you lost weight since last year or were you perhaps not riding as hard as you were last year? If I were you, I'd not worry about things right away. First off, dust marks are not a great way to judge how much travel you are using. Since you aren't going to bottom each run, let's suppose you took a few runs after your last bottom-out before calling it a day. In that time a new dust mark would probably develop at a lower travel point than full bottom-out.

Next time you go riding, put a zip tie around your stanchion and push it to your seal, then go riding. The zip tie will show you how much the fork has gone through it's travel. If by the end of your day of riding, the zip tie shows you have used less travel than you should then you can start thinking about softer springs or perhaps checking the oil volume by measuring it's height (just to make absolutely sure the right amount is in there). But my guess would be that your fork is probably fine.

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
ok cool, haha I should just bring it over to you guys!...I've actually gained about 20 pounds since last year...I will take your advice with the zip tie this weekend and report back... Down Cycles for the win!!
By the way, which down cycles guy are you? I really only know (and not too well) Bert and Leif, but I don't even know if he works there anymore....haha

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
I've actually been there for the last 6 years or so. Leif really hasn't worked for us for at least 4 years, but he does help out time to time. If you've ever been in the shop during the summer, you'd probably recognize me. If not, think of me as the guy in the back who fixes your bike when you drop it off. I've ridden a KHS Dominatrix / Schwinn Straight 8 / Mongoose EC-D and BMW TMX for DH over the last couple of years if that helps at all...

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I have the exact same problem with my 07 888 rc2x, when I change the oil and then put the reccomended amount in it doesn't get full travel. In stead of measuring the oil volume before you put it in measure the oil height in the fork. Take the springs out and compress the fork and measure the oil height. I think the max oil height on that fork is 185mm from the top with springs removed and fork compressed but I'd check with the guys at marzzochi.