Quantcast

2006 Kona Hoss

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
I was wondering if anyone has had a 2006 Kona Hoss? I am looking at getting one. The price is right.

I mostly do downhill mountain biking but I would like a little something I can pedal around. I am not talking major epic x/c rides. Probably more along the lines of 5 to 15 miles at a time or around town with the kids.

So if you have had one, how did you like it?

Thanks

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I have a 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-lux. I have beat the hell out of it and it just asks for more! I have taken it off some small drops around 6ft. And long epic rides. I have it built up as a half freeride/half trail bike.

5" tpc version Sherman fork
Race Face Diabolus 70mm stem
Race Face Diabolus 31.8 bars
Race Face Diabolus 30.0 seat post
Race Face Evolve DH cranks
Hope Bulb hubs on Mavic EX823 tubless DH rims very light by the way.
XTR shifters and derailleurs, Soon to have a chain guide now.

The bike has a semi slack head angle for xc wich I like, and feels great out on the trail. With the build mine has it's around 33 pounds.
You wont regret buying one if you like to abuse bikes and want a great trail bike.

The geometry is great for an all day ripper out on the trail. I've even done some urban stuff on mine, hitting stair gaps and such. It's been great for 2 years. The only gripe I have with it is, you can't run any larger tire than a 2.35 in the rear without rubbing. Most of the time I run Panaracer Fire XC PRO'S in a 2.1.

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
ctrailfreak, thank you for the info and I am glad to hear your report. I am very interested in the bike.

I am going to my LBS at the end of the month to pick up my sons 2006 Kona Stuff 2-4 and I was going to ask what he really needed for the bike. If it fits the budget, I was going to put a down payment on it while I was there and pick it up at the end of spring.

Once again thanks for the info and I will post with the results if I get it or not.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
If you do get one, All I can say is..... You won't be disappointed! They are a killer frame that will take all types of riding.Run a 4 inch fork and trail ride all day long or slap a 130 - 150mm fork on it and get a little rough. The bike won't care either way! I't will be a cold dark day before I ever come off of mine!

Hope things work out and you can get yourself on one! Chris...

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
I found out that the Kona Hoss at my LBS is a little to small for me, I need the next size up. One of the owners associates did call me to tell me that Kona has some left overs and they might be able to work with me.

I just need to find out what final cost will be before I say yes. I really hope that it is in my favor. I keep hearing good things about the bike and it makes me want it even more.

I will let you know what happens.

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
Hope they cut you a good deal! If you just bought a bike for you're kid and all, they should do you a fair deal on it!
To tell the truth, if I bought this Hoss, it would be the 6th Kona that I have bought.

I have bought:
2 Stinky's 04 and 06
2Makena's 05 and 07
1 Stuff 2-4 06

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Here's the other one set up for trail, with a little bit larger frame. Never mind the seat post length in the pick. I had just taken it off the bike rack and have to lower it with two bikes to clear the bars on the other bike.

Stinky Boy

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Arkport NY
Ya know ctrailfreak, I am really beginning to like you! LMAO. The bikes look great. I like both set ups on the Hoss's. The Stinky looks good to, but I am more of a dual crown fork kind of guy.

Although I am more a Marzocchi man, the new RockShox Totem looks pretty intriguing.

I will stay in touch to let you know how I make out.