Quantcast

2006 NORBA Nationals dates

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
1soulrider said:
I thought Brian Head was a good venue. Excellent terrain and the local were very friendly. I also liked the placed wasn't all 'condoed out' like most resorts, no attittude, no security kicking out campers. I'm happy to to race there again.
sorry i shouldn't have been that vague. the place/area is killer. people are cool, course seems awsome. although i wasn't able to ride there at the event, i have ridden there in the past. it's a cool place. area is extremely beautiful. it just sucked for a national event. i'm sure it's killer for local races & such.. but for what a norba is suppose to be. i was not impressed. i can't fault the resort 100%. the idiots who scheduled the norba event on top of the crankworx festival really did most of the damage.

the dh course seemed pretty cool, the dual slalom wasn't nearly what it could have been. & there weren't that many spectators

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Jeremy R said:
I wouldn't sweat qualifying.
Norba has been begging people to come to the National Championships.
You can qualify by having a hearbeat and a Norba license.
That's a good point. There was a rumor that you had to bring proof of citizenship to sign-up for Mammoth. When I signed up, not only did they not ask for proof of citizenship, but they didn't even check to see if I qualified.

DylanDeanDesign said:
sorry i shouldn't have been that vague. the place/area is killer. people are cool, course seems awsome. although i wasn't able to ride there at the event, i have ridden there in the past. it's a cool place. area is extremely beautiful. it just sucked for a national event. i'm sure it's killer for local races & such.. but for what a norba is suppose to be. i was not impressed. i can't fault the resort 100%. the idiots who scheduled the norba event on top of the crankworx festival really did most of the damage.

the dh course seemed pretty cool, the dual slalom wasn't nearly what it could have been. & there weren't that many spectators

that is effectively what is wrong with the series. the fact that events are being put in places that are usually 2 or more hours away from a major metropolitan base. hoenstly for the series to work, maybe a smaller resort, but with a larger draw to spectators is what it needs (well that and well run while there) that way the promotors can go to big sponsors and show that there are spectators that will see their advertisement. i mean ther eare places like snoqualamie in WA that used to host a WC and is 45 mins from seattle. why cant we have a race there?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
DylanDeanDesign said:

I agree with you fully. I went to Brian Head last year because I had no money to get up to Whistler and back. When I pulled up to the resort I could not believe that they were holding a National there. When I got on courses I had a ton of fun but the actual event itself was poor. It could have been better, but there are also better sites to hold a National at.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I recieved an email yesterday that said the LA event will be XC and 4X only. Too bad its the week before finals or I would have considered going.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Arrrr! Downieville Classic and Mammoth are back to back weekends.
That's going to make doing both a bit harder. Bummer!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DH Diva said:
Arrrr! Downieville Classic and Mammoth are back to back weekends.
That's going to make doing both a bit harder. Bummer!
Us on the east coast have to deal with that every year.
We get 2 nationals but they are on back to back weekends.
It is great for the guys traveling the circuit, but it is the suck
for people who are working.

DHanamal said:
I think it would be a good idea if they would allow anyone who has qualified for National Champs in the past, and they are still in the category they qualified for, to be able to race.
I think that is how its gonna work, if you qualified for this year you already qualified for the one this summer since it is happening early. Atleast that is what i was toled.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm sure I'm only one of the few who is happy about this...but I can now go to Mt. Snow without losing a boatload of time off from work. I've had to skip it the last 2 years in a row b/c it was back to back with Snowshoe...(read 6 hr drive to Snowhoe...then back to NC, then 12 hr drive to Mt. Snow then back). Both years I tried to do it but I lost so much money and time out of work that it killed me.

Now the Northeast contingent has a longer drive to NC instead of Snowshoe..but at the same time, Mt. Snow is their backyard.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
bizutch said:
I'm sure I'm only one of the few who is happy about this...but I can now go to Mt. Snow without losing a boatload of time off from work. I've had to skip it the last 2 years in a row b/c it was back to back with Snowshoe...(read 6 hr drive to Snowhoe...then back to NC, then 12 hr drive to Mt. Snow then back). Both years I tried to do it but I lost so much money and time out of work that it killed me.

Now the Northeast contingent has a longer drive to NC instead of Snowshoe..but at the same time, Mt. Snow is their backyard.
Or I can just skip Sugar and focus on Mt Snow. :thumb:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Jeremy R said:
Us on the east coast have to deal with that every year.
We get 2 nationals but they are on back to back weekends.
It is great for the guys traveling the circuit, but it is the suck
for people who are working.
Yeah, it sucks. I'm only able to race distance DH and Super D's so the downieville and the mammoth Super D are the best two events like that all year and I was hoping to be able to go to both!
:(

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Jeremy R said:
I wouldn't sweat qualifying.
Norba has been begging people to come to the National Championships.
You can qualify by having a hearbeat and a Norba license.

im not to concerned...just gotta make 1 race

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DylanDeanDesign said:
Ok, let's see.... my thoughts:

LA...i can't imagine anything good for DH...that's if they even have any.
Yeah... its not like there are 9k+ mountains that go all the way to the base of Pasadena... No hills around here!!
:stupid:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
LA is almost 100% likely to be Bonelli Park. I talked to Naked man from TBB at Mammoth and he said Bonelli....boy that's gonna suck. It's a 10 min bike ride from my house but the course sucks(for XC).

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
black noise said:
Bonelli, is that Fontana, where they have the Southridge races?
No. It's 20 minutes west of there, they have a Cal State race there every year. Very unlikely there will be DH, unless they build something, and even then there will be an elev drop of about 100'.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Hmm... I'm pretty much over it anyway. 9 hours in the car for a 4X race isn't what I'm in to. I also don't feel like going to Fontana again, that place is too apocalyptic for me.

Ok, here's another question: Vermont Norba or the US Open? I kind of want to go to Vermont anyway and the course looks like fun, but I only hear good things about the US Open.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
black noise said:
Hmm... I'm pretty much over it anyway. 9 hours in the car for a 4X race isn't what I'm in to. I also don't feel like going to Fontana again, that place is too apocalyptic for me.

Ok, here's another question: Vermont Norba or the US Open? I kind of want to go to Vermont anyway and the course looks like fun, but I only hear good things about the US Open.
If you have to choose then US Open all the way. Make a long weekend out of it preferably. Practice Fri, Practice/Qualify Sat, Race Sunday then freeride till you fall apart, then Monday just freeride with whatever energy you have left. The place has so much good riding you won't have enough energy to be sick of riding. Just don't make the mistake of freeriding after qualifying if you qualify well, cause it's easy to blow yourself out.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I won't be able to make any of the races until maybe Utah, on the weekend of june 9. I qualified for Mammoth this year, but it was back in June at the Cal State Champ's, and then I didn't get to go to the National's. So hopefully there will be a race during june and early July, that I can qualify at if I don't make Utah.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
point your bike down the mt. and let go of the brakes and hold on. sounds like just another ordinary day at windrock.