Quantcast

2006 P.2 or P.3

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well i decided to buy a new dirt jump/park bike instead of building up my 2002 s-works enduro frame. there are two bikes that i have come down to, the specialized 2006 P.2 and the 2006 P.3! money is not an issue with either bike(P.1-1100$ P.2-1700$). the reason why i am asking you guys witch one would be better for dirtjumping/park riding is because all of my riding friends are like, why don't you just go with the P.2 instead of the P.3, and i have no clue why they say that, so if you guys could prefere one or the other that would be awsome! THANKS...

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Go to Center Cycle in Renton and you can ride them and find out which you prefer. They're both the same frame, just different components.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
no thanks on the chase. but my dad has some how talked me in to building a bike from scratch so it is more for skate parks and dirt. where the P series is more of a dirt and free ride type of bike(mtb). if i built a bike up it would be like a bmx on 24s, in other words like phil sundbuams, andy sudbuams, and travis's bikes!

so p series or build what do ya think(i like the build idea).

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
P.3.! My friend had a p.3. he bought in 2001 and he rode it hard. He loaned it to me for a few months when my azonic emliminator was out 2 years ago. I love that hard tail, great all around bike: for single track, downhill, biker-x, dirt jump, and urban it was sweet, better all around bike than my 243. and cove stiffie that I owned. I hit a 11 foot drop on it with 4inch travel fork a few times, and he still rides that bike, after 5 years of abuse. Same guy that broke a norco 4x4 twice in 8 months. The 2006 looks so dope.

I dont know about the p2 I dont like how they look, but I never rode one so I can really say.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
ryan/kona29 said:
where the P series is more of a dirt and free ride type of bike(mtb).
I don't really think the P series of bikes are "free ride" types. At least the 2004 that I owned wasn't. The Bottom Bracket is too low to be good for any kind of trail riding. IMHO they're strictly urban/skatepark bikes. The 2006 looks like it might have a higher BB, but the Top Tube design just looks wanky to me so I would go with your dad's advice and build something that is exactly right for your style. You might try looking into some of the manufacturers that make MTB's with BMX bottom brackets. I forget who makes it, but the LeToy III was one and the geometry seemed more skatepark/urban oriented.

mosseguda

Chimp
Jan 19, 2006
well i think u should go with building a bike but get an azonic frame like a fiend, those are sick and they do anything. they are light unlike p.2/p.3 which way like up to 38 punds depending on chromo or aluminum.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
mosseguda said:
they are light unlike p.2/p.3 which way like up to 38 punds depending on chromo or aluminum.
my 2004 P.2 frame only weighs around 4.5 lbs. The full bike was never even close to 38 lbs.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
yo ryan its kris i ride the steel head ride skate barn alot weve talked before i have the pike up front. ok any ways though the p3 is specd super well it looks like a great bike you also might wana check out the black market, mob thats a pretty sweet bike its alot like a bmx bike to. run a float 80 mm. and 24 pretty sweet bike

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
is that a complete bike or is it a build(frame only). there web site has the MOB listed as a frame.

ya man was up! i have been sick with the stumic flue so i probebly will be taking some time off of riding, i WILL be at the gathering though!

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
oxygen_77 said:
I don't really think the P series of bikes are "free ride" types. At least the 2004 that I owned wasn't. The Bottom Bracket is too low to be good for any kind of trail riding. IMHO they're strictly urban/skatepark bikes. The 2006 looks like it might have a higher BB, but the Top Tube design just looks wanky to me so I would go with your dad's advice and build something that is exactly right for your style. You might try looking into some of the manufacturers that make MTB's with BMX bottom brackets. I forget who makes it, but the LeToy III was one and the geometry seemed more skatepark/urban oriented.
well when i said the p series is more like a mtb i ment... the P series comes with a 26'' rim set up and has a derailer where a mob or transition has 24'' rims and a single speed set up. no biggy though!

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
transitions is a sweet bike too, its steal tough and heavy, the set up is sweet for dirt jump/urban. For all around trailriding, downhill, dirtjump/ freeride p.3. owns all, and as far as azoinc hardtail I dont think its lighter than the p.3. seams like it is heavyer if anything, I tought they were steal?

EL-Jefe

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Hilltop
I'm pretty sure both phil and travis both have 26in wheels on their bikes. I also have a steel head (which you rode sunday for a bit) but I have only ridden ridden it for a week or two. some of the differences between the steelhead, blackmarket, or transition are the standover heights and angle of the headtube. the steelhead has a longer seattube and not as steep of a top tube as the others therefore may feel a little more freeride like. Also the steelhead has longer chainstays so it may not manual as easy as the others.As far as the weight of the steelhead goes I only notice a slight difference compared to my STP which i believe was quite a bit lighter.The weight is not an issue at all. My opinion what ever you decide go with cromoly, as it it is so much stronger than aluminum for park or dirt jumping as well as it rides somewhat smoother. I do have a brand new STP replacement frame they sent me for the one I destroyed its a 15 in frame and Im gonna sell it really cheap.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
hey douche, how about i sell you my steel head for really cheap, and you try that out for a while, then if you really like it, you can justify speding 400,500,600....on a really nice frame. that sounds like a good plan. then, you'll have a nice strong steel frame, you'll still have some money to use, and i wont have a *nice strong steel frame* laying around that im not using. what do you think, name a price.

*plus, it should fit you really well, cuz the top tube was a little long for me.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
i will give you 1 dolla! na i really don't want a steal head i was pushing more for a MOB. thanks for the offer though(jack@ss):blah: . hey i got my fork off of my enduro and i think i will set it for 90mm of travel and use it till i can get a gold lable or something like that.

acually i think my dad is going to stop by bonney lake bike and pick up that 2005 kona cowen frame:blah: :blah: :blah:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
the cowan frame is sweet. i rode a roast (the pre-cowan) for 2 years and beat the hell out of it. what fork you planning on running?

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
i was going to go with a nixxon or a dirtjumper 2.

the P.3 is a great bike and all but friends have sorta convinced me not to get it because i will be taking the front brake and rear derailer off. basically paying for things that i am going to eliminate.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
the cowan will end up being a much better frame than the p2/p3...the build kit on there is exactly what you need, and you wont be paying for all the other sh!t that you dont need, that would come with the p2/p3 or any other complete bike you would buy. you've ridden my cowan many times....and you like it....so go with the cowan. it is a sick frame. KONA RULES :thumb:

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
the build kit on that site is perfect for what i am gona do but...will all those parts fit on that frame? jesse could you go and check to see if the crank b/b and rear wheel and stuff like that will fit on that kona cowen frame(you know more about hardtails then i do). thanks

Jun 18, 2004
So did you get the pics?... I read your post and it sounded like my hardtale... and I havn't been riding it much so I thought maybe you would be able to put it to better use than I...

britinmtb

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
kent
listen up ryan it does not matter what you get as long as you enjoy and you learn from it. the p3 is a great bike if you are going to keep it geared and the p2 if you are going to single speed. the money is not worth it if you buy the p3 i know how you ride. it is not that you are not smooth it is that you want to ride it like a bmx bike. your a smart kid make the right discion. the transition frame is a good bike as well as the new haro it is only 600 buck complete. it is a sick ride and ghy has it. i only have the p2 in stock but you will figure it out latter

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
britinmtb said:
listen up ryan it does not matter what you get as long as you enjoy and you learn from it. the p3 is a great bike if you are going to keep it geared and the p2 if you are going to single speed. the money is not worth it if you buy the p3 i know how you ride. it is not that you are not smooth it is that you want to ride it like a bmx bike. your a smart kid make the right discion. the transition frame is a good bike as well as the new haro it is only 600 buck complete. it is a sick ride and ghy has it. i only have the p2 in stock but you will figure it out latter
just wondering? are you shane. i probebly know you i just dont know your rm name!