Quantcast

2006 Rotec RL9 thoughts/opinions?

KillerSloth

Chimp
May 15, 2009
I posted this on MTBR, but I remember seeing some of these on RM so I thought I would throw it up here.

I am thinking about picking up a 2006 Rotec RL9 (looking at it tonight), and was wondering what people thought of these bikes. I have read reviews, and they all seem to be really good.

I saw something about tire rub, but I don't know how big of tire that was for. I probably won't run over a 2.5 Maxxis in the back.

Any other issues with these frames, or anything in particular I should look at when looking at the bike?

Thanks

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've heard sizing is a little wacky on those frames, in that they are very long/large. I would double check the size and geometry and do your best to make sure that it fits you, whether by riding it or riding bikes with the same specs.

Other than that, Rotec is a good company with good support and a well-regarded suspension design. I've been dying to try one out based on my own time on previous Lawwill bikes, but couldn't find one used and wasn't ready to buy a new frame.

KillerSloth

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Yeah, it's a large and the kid selling it is the same height as me.

Looking at the geo I'm a bit confused... the TT length is shorter than my current bike (Large Kona Coiler; 23.9" vs 22.8") but the effective is 25.5" (don't know it for the Coiler). I guess I'll ride it a bit and see if it feels too long.

I am running a 70mm stem on the Coiler, so if the Rotec is longer I could run a shorter stem to make up for it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If it feels good, go for it. You're the only one who can decide whether a geometry is right for you. I had a brooklyn which had a very short TT and I hated it at first, but got used to it later, although it never fit me right. I recently picked up a Sunday frame, at least partly because the top tube length and geometry was spot on for my ideal. In other words, if it feels good man, do it, especially if it's a first bike. You won't have any idea what works and what doesn't until you start getting some miles under your belt.

As far as maintenance goes, those bikes are well built so there probably isn't much to worry about. Definitely check the bearings (there are lots) for any play or excess wear.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you getting it complete or just the frame? FWIW the rear hub is 150, but a special hub is required to use the floating brake. Hadley makes this hub, and I believe its a specially designed 137mm.

KillerSloth

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Complete, and it has the Hadley on it (I guess a Sun Ringle Lawwill hub works too? it's 135mm, but I think it has a special spacer that must be 2mm wide)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Mine's an '06 large as well.

There's only an issue with tire rub if you run tall tires and bottom out a lot. I run Arrow Ramped Bite 2.5's most of the time and the center knob is pretty tall. It rubs at bottom out...but I don't mind. Sometimes I'll run my Kenda Neve's and they barely rub any at bottom out... Just a quick bzzt to let me know it's there...

Check the bearings like Sandwich said. I keep mine treated pretty well, so I have no play whatsoever even after 3 years of riding it. (Original bearings)

The effective top tub is longer because of the seat tube angle.

No other issues that I know about...I love it. Going up to Whistler this weekend with it to kick off the season. w00t!!!

JKS

Chimp
Feb 26, 2008
You can run, of course the hadley with a 137mm axle conversion, a sun ringle with a 2mm washer add on, a spinergy, with a 2mm washer add on. Ony problem with the 2mm washer, it makes changing the tire a big job, its so hard to get it in place. Go with the hadley.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Squirrel is huge, from what I recall.

I am 6'3 and had a medium, and it fit perfect. I can't see you fitting on a large, it'd be huge.

But, try it and see.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
How tall are you squirell? I'm about 6'0 - 6'1".
6'7"...I went with a direct mount stem too...I'm able to muscle it around pretty well...

I like a nice compact cockpit (har har har....yeah...) so it works well...that and it's just about the biggest non-custom built bike I could get my hands on...

I've been told that I'm the only person that makes the bike look small...

Should be a bit big (even with a shorter stem than the 70mm that you currently have) for you. Peeps I know that are around 6'1" - 6'3" that have one say it fits ok...but not great...and they have it built at around 42-43 lbs. So it's not too much of a pig...mine is...but that's another story...

KillerSloth

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Yeah, I'll check it out. I have shorter legs and a bigger torso, so that may help a bit. I hope it fits, because it's a good deal. Don't worry though, I wont get it unless it fits me good.

Oh, and another thing is I wont be racing it, just riding it with friends around Auburn, and some Northstar, so if it's not the most manuverable thing it's not the biggest deal.

And I'm also not light (230 pounds), so weight won't be the biggest concern either.

Crossing my fingers that it fits though

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Yeah, I'll check it out. I have shorter legs and a bigger torso, so that may help a bit. I hope it fits, because it's a good deal. Don't worry though, I wont get it unless it fits me good.

Oh, and another thing is I wont be racing it, just riding it with friends around Auburn, and some Northstar, so if it's not the most manuverable thing it's not the biggest deal.

And I'm also not light (230 pounds), so weight won't be the biggest concern either.

Crossing my fingers that it fits though
It's a bomber frame for sure. It's handled my 265lb butt hucking off stuff I shouldn't at Whistler for 3 years...so that says something at least. The low standover and long effective TT will benefit a short leg/longer torso person for sure.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I may know someone with a 2006 Med for sale, pretty cheap.:busted:

Great bike, super cs from Sully, durable as all heck and loves to go fast. Only bearings that have to be replaced regularly are the ones on the floater