Quantcast

2006 travis tripple Help!!!

kowekiller

Chimp
Mar 4, 2009
Ok so here goes.I wanted to upgrade these and ran into a few snags.I wanted to upgrade these to a TPC+ cartridge and instead the bike shop ordered a CID cartridge.Is this a better setup than the TPC+?Also the cartridge is for a 203mm fork and mine is a 180mm.I measured the cartridges and they cam out the same length.Is there a difference in the cartridge length at all for the 180 and the 203?the other question is the new cartridge ihas an inset air valve.Anyone know what to do with this?Thanks in adavnce

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
The cartridge for the 203 works for the 180, but not vice-a-versa (from what I remember).

Do not touch the air valve. From what I've heard, that vavle was used to vacuum air out of the cartridge after it was assembled.

Any specific reason you want to dump the CID and go for the TPC. Unless you're prolevel or uber gnarcore, you wouldn't really feel a difference... I don't. I have a 2005 Travis Dual Crown 180 w/CID and it feels just as good as my 2007 travis Single Crown 180 w/TPC.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
The cartridge for the 203 works for the 180, but not vice-a-versa (from what I remember).

Do not touch the air valve. From what I've heard, that vavle was used to vacuum air out of the cartridge after it was assembled.

Any specific reason you want to dump the CID and go for the TPC. Unless you're prolevel or uber gnarcore, you wouldn't really feel a difference... I don't. I have a 2005 Travis Dual Crown 180 w/CID and it feels just as good as my 2007 travis Single Crown 180 w/TPC.
203 stanchions are a bit longer than 180s and same with their respective cartridges. I wouldn't recommend running 203 cart in a 180 package unless you like thuds.

Sherms, want to sell your SC Travis for $150 plus uber new team tires? That's all I could afford as I have a beautiful infant to feed and addiction to buying expensive italian racing saddles..and french pastries. Oh and the 1.5 headset too with the SC.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
203 stanchions are a bit longer than 180s and same with their respective cartridges. I wouldn't recommend running 203 cart in a 180 package unless you like thuds.

Sherms, want to sell your SC Travis for $150 plus uber new team tires? That's all I could afford as I have a beautiful infant to feed and addiction to buying expensive italian racing saddles..and french pastries. Oh and the 1.5 headset too with the SC.

Orv has spoken.... seriously.. he's the man to ask when it comes to Manitou Stuff.

Orv.... I kinda promised the fork to Mike already. Cut you a deal on the stem and headset though. Anyways... I think your M-6 would look like a M-5.575 with a single crown on it.

kowekiller

Chimp
Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys for all your help.Im going to go with the CID cartridge.I just going to exchange it for the 180mm.Any good setup proceedures for this fork?I would like to make it pretty supple on med hits and not bottom out on big stuff.I just added the firm ti spring to it.Seems real stiff now and I weigh like 230.Did I go backwords?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
You should be ok with the firm spring. I hover around the 195-205lb range and I ride a medium spring... I'm not very gnar, but I've only bottomed my 180mm Travis Dual Crown a handful of times, most of which happened during a race.

"The Sluck" tried a firm spring but didn't like how the fork felt. He said that he felt like he was getting pinged and wasn't able to use all the travel. I think he weighs about 220. He went back to a medium spring and now just tries to ride smoother.