Quantcast

2007-2011 Fox 40 cartridge compatibility

gurterno

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I have a 2007 Fox 40 RC2. Can I upgrade this with a newer cartridge? I believe it is compatible with a 2009 model but is it compatible with 2010 or 2011 cartridges? If not which parts are incompatible? Do I have to replace the lowers as well?

I know my dealer can probably tell me but sometimes it appears they prefer not to do these upgrades (or simply don't know much about it) so I'd like to know some more before I call my dealer if I'll have to convince them to do it :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm pretty sure they are, but you might want to contact Fox to make certain.

Also, in case you were not already aware, Avalanche is going to be releasing an upgrade cartridge for the 40.

gurterno

Chimp
May 8, 2010
Yes I saw that kit. Really interesting. I would like to get some more info though. Is it available as a self install kit? It's a bit of a drag for me to send the fork all the way from Europe to have it installed. And also is it self serviceable, for the same reason as above, i.e. not nitrogen charged or anything like that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Knowing Craig, I'm wouldn't be surprised if he could arrange a self installation for this. I seem to recall reading somewhere that for the 40 the fork "seals" also have to be changed as well.

Essentially the cartridge is the same for all forks, there are just a few fitment changes that have to be made for proper fit and compatibility.

Talking to a friend who has the dampers installed in 2 of his forks (a boxxer and a Marz 66), he has been servicing and tuning them himself. Check out the threads in the DH forum started by bullcrew, he's provided a good amount of information about them. I've ridden with him a few times in the past, and though he can be rather longwinded, he does give good details of the equipment. And he rides hard enough and fast enough that I consider his reviews thorough and valid.

It does appear as if the stanchions are different for 2005-2008 and 2009+ so there may be some compatibility issues there.

Referring to http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/fox-racing-shox--169D0000-1137786500.jsp
The 2009 40's had shorter stanchions to help minimize weight, as thanks to the demise of the Avanti D8 (literally an 8" headtube) the extra length was no longer needed.

I imagine that if you wished to run the 2011 cart, you'd need the 2009+ stanchions.

gurterno

Chimp
May 8, 2010
Update:

I have now updated the cartridge in my 2007 Fox 40 RC2 to a 2011 cartridge so it is possible. However the stanchions were replaced 2010 so I don't know if this is a requirement. I don't think it is because our Fox importer never mentioned anything about there being any problems, it appeared they had done this lots of times.

Haven't ridden them yet but I think it'll be good :D

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
From what I've gathered, the 2011 upgrade kit will work with 40's from 2007 to 2010. Rebound is now on the bottom with a new top cap (compression adj). As soon as funds are available, I'm going to do the retro. Hope my LBS can score me a good deal.