Quantcast

2007 888 SL: More PAR volume to get full travel?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I have a 2007 888 SL ATA that isn't getting full travel (no surprise here). Short of removing the PAR has anyone looking into adding more volume to PAR chamber? Anyone think this will fix the full travel issue?

A company called Rollonthrottle makes add-on chambers for air forks. Thought adding one of these might solve problem.

http://rollonthrottle.com/forkace.html

For those of you who have removed the PAR I've got a couple of questions.
1. After removal does the left simply act as an air spring like a Boxxer WC?
2. How is bottom out controlled? Adding oil to the RC2 side?

Is anyone getting full travel with the PAR installed? If so, how?

Finding a way to mount the valve to the bottom of the fork and mount the chamber could be a challenge. One thought I had was swapping the cartridge legs and mounting the chamber a la BOS.

Perhaps you 888 SL experts can chime in.

Last edited:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I've gotten full bottom out of my 08 maybe twice up at whistler. Why not just try lowering the pressure in the PAR chamber a couple PSI at a time until you come within 1/2 to 3/4 an inch of the bottom out?

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
i found it impossible to get even nearly full travel with the par piston installed on my 08 888 ata wc.

removing the par piston totally resolved this problem. i can get full travel without the fork diving like mad and blowing through the travel. if you should feel the need for additional progression you can add oil to the rc2 side or reduce the air volume with the adjustable piston that is held in place by a c-clip inside the leg (if i remember right, on the 08 the size of the air volume can be dialed with an external adjuster).

just try it and take the piston out, it is easy to do and takes may be half an hour if you do it for the first time. it is reversible so if you don`t like it you could still reinsert the piston and try one of these external air chambers.
i have done this mod to a 07 and a 08 888 ata, and both forks worked amazing afterwards. imho all this piston does is prevent the fork from working properly.
air is an inherently progressive suspension medium, so what should that piston be good for?

I have a 2007 888 SL ATA that isn't getting full travel (no surprise here). Short of removing the PAR has anyone looking into adding more volume to PAR chamber? Anyone think this will fix the full travel issue?

A company called Rollonthrottle makes add-on chambers for air forks. Thought adding one of these might solve problem.

http://rollonthrottle.com/forkace.html

For those of you who have removed the PAR I've got a couple of questions.
1. After removal does the left simply act as an air spring like a Boxxer WC?
2. How is bottom out controlled? Adding oil to the RC2 side?

Is anyone getting full travel with the PAR installed? If so, how?

Finding a way to mount the valve to the bottom of the fork and mount the chamber could be a challenge. One thought I had was swapping the cartridge legs and mounting the chamber a la BOS.

Perhaps you 888 SL experts can chime in.

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Yup, do what knax said. The PAR i redundant marketing mumbo-jumbo and should never have been put in there to begin with.

You should also purge out oil in the cartridge by depressurising it via the bottom air valve.

Fred

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
This weekend I'll finally be hitting a proper lift and will have time to mess with the settings. I'll probably start off with 80 PSI in the PAR and 50 in the SFA. If I can't get the fork to work to my liking I'll remove the PAR when I get back.

Thanks for all the input!

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i have an 07 66 slata and i'm getting about 3-4mm from full travel, with the PAR still installed...that's good enough for me. as i'm not really hucking more than 6 foot drops these days.

basically, i kept lowering the air pressure in both the lower and upper air chambers and slowly adding air into the right leg on my 66. i realize the 888 doesn't have the right leg air assist valve, but you could just add oil (still won't be the same, but close).

i don't know off the top of my head, but it's something like, 40 psi in the lower chamber, 30 psi in the upper chamber and about 5-10 psi in the air assist chamber. by greatly reducing the PAR air pressures and compensating in the air assist, i changed the characteristics of the fork from progressive ramp up to a more linear travel...feeling a bit more like a 888. making the fork more linear has allowed me to use that last inch of travel that seems to be missing for a lot of people.

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
i don`t know for the 66, but with the par piston installed on the 888 there is no way you can find a useful set up that uses all of the forks travel (at least for my weight, ~155 lbs).
either you get a fork that uses 8" of travel (almost, never got it to use more than 7.5") but is way too soft for the first 6" and dives like mad when you are braking or in steep sections, or you can set up the fork to feel right on the first 6"-6.5" and afterwards it virtually locks out. all the people i talked to riding stock 888 ata forks were disapointed and complaining about exactly the same problems, so this is not just a matter of personal preference. the good thing is that these problems can be easily fixed.
other manufacturers strive to achieve a more linear behavior of their air forks,
and mz adds a stupid piston creating a second chamber to increase :-)crazy:) progression in an air fork, that just makes no sense.

Last edited:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
other manufacturers strive to achieve a more linear behavior of their air forks,
and mz adds a stupid piston creating a second chamber to increase :-)crazy:) progression in an air fork, that just makes no sense.

well, in previous models of the 888, people complained that they would bottom out the fork waaay to easily and that the fork was too linear.

i think they designed the slata to withstand some serious abuse. maybe they took the progressiveness a bit too far, but at least they responded to complaints about previous versions.

knax

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
germany
but these forks were steel sprung. an easy solution to this problem would have been to just increase the oil level.
for air forks i still see no need to try to increase progression. like i said, air is a progressive suspension medium by itself, why else would a company sell additional external air chambers?