Quantcast

- - 2007 bcd - -

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i'm ready for some feedback so i can change it all up again. HAHA

its a loooooow looooooong bike, 32t - 12t then 16t - 11t = 4.1 final grear ratio

dashed lines are for 9.5x3 shock and 7.5 travel those 26ers

44.5wb
65head angle
16cs
23tt
edit oops 13.5bb
4'' headtube
1.5'' front center adj the toptube and headtube move forward
and there is a spacer that bolts between the headtube and downtube

1.5'' longer, cross bolted, shock mount plates.
without the thru-bolt here dcamp and i though it might rotate the seat flats clockwise causing a failure

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
wow! that is going to look awesome! is the top tube going to be a flat carbon "bar" or is it going to be rounded....

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Love the intersection of the top tube and down tube. What's with the screw holes or whatever by the seat tube?
the downtube goes thru a slot the middle of the toptube.

the bike basically bolts/presses together, no glue.

i have a bit more dialing to do to get the 1.5 front center adj.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
What is the intended use?

If it's for DH racing, I'd say lengthen the WB to 45.5"
it will still be stable. 16CS is what makes it seem short.

i have never looped out on a DH bike, but have gone OTB

lots, so i put it out front where you need it.

this is in its short not long form, long will be 1.5 longer.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
wow its looking really nice, "functional art" fits that bike to a T. and thats just a couple lines imagine it with the organic carbon fiber feel yummmm.

i think it would be good if that geometry there was the standard, i was also wondering how the different adjustment holes are going to affect geometry. 64deg headangle and 12.5 inch bb is about as low and slack as you can get,

"yea low and slack, its a good thing:brows: "

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
wow its looking really nice, "functional art" fits that bike to a T. and thats just a couple lines imagine it with the organic carbon fiber feel yummmm.

i think it would be good if that geometry there was the standard, i was also wondering how the different adjustment holes are going to affect geometry. 64deg headangle and 12.5 inch bb is about as low and slack as you can get,

"yea low and slack, its a good thing:brows: "
thanks, i want it to look diff, but modern.
the holes that are not drawn yet for front center adj
will be on a horizontal plane on the seat sides.
it will use the holes along the TT.

then there will be a 1.5'' parallelogram spacer that you
bolt in between the headtube and downtube.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i9 needs to release some high flange hubs for building 29" Dh wheels with as short of spokes as possible. that would look sick on your bike alex.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i9 needs to release some high flange hubs for building 29" Dh wheels with as short of spokes as possible. that would look sick on your bike alex.
yeah, i haev been talking to them a little,
they might be stiff enough with my 38mm
rims, 12x135 ss rear with 5 cogs, i'll have to
see how sales go b/f i get all crazy with my
bike. i'll probably still be riding my hayes i
have had for 7 years.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hotness! Love the head tube treatment, really great idea to keep it low and still get clearance for the crowns. Kinda like an SE Quadangle eh? (Don't tell Scott B!)

Is that going to be an integrated seat post, cut to fit all roadie style?

Got enough room for the shock there or are you going to use some kind of split DT?

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Very nice! Looks like some creative design in the front triangle! Really good idea to have a front center adjustment.
I have always wanted to try a 16" stay high pivot. It will probably grow to around 17" under sag, right?

Jackshaft drivetrain?

Will be interesting to see pictures of this thing built!

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
You need to stop making such fancy schmancy bikes and make me some custom DJ dropouts. j/k, but seriously you need to make some :lighten:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Very nice! Looks like some creative design in the front triangle! Really good idea to have a front center adjustment.
I have always wanted to try a 16" stay high pivot. It will probably grow to around 17" under sag, right?

Jackshaft drivetrain?

Will be interesting to see pictures of this thing built!
at the end of travel its 18.5

i am using a jackshaft b/c i think there will be less
guide to tire clearance issues with my 16cs and
less chain movement from the rear der.
also with a 32 special E13 bash it will have the best
ground clearance with low bb.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
IMO the BB is a bit too low. Can you run a longer shock?
the 26 wheels shock is 9.5x3 so no there is no longer shock,

but

where the shock mounts to the downtube will be 1/4 alum plates.

they will be easy to custom make for a desired BB height.

every 1/2 off BB is 1 deg of head angle, unless you raise the

A-C that same 1/2, then you are back level and @ 65.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
So new plates and 8.5" back and 8" front would leave you with about 13.5BB and 65 head angle?Guessing it's now sitting on 7" forks.
we are at 7.5r-8f''
new shock mount location with plates still gives the same travel
but with droping the legs on the fork 1'' you would have a 14.5bb.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
by moving the shock mounts you would effectively shorten the CS slightly too since its growth would be reduced by....yada yada.
not alot but static 16" cs is short already, how about multi-position cs length? flip flop type insert offsets or something??
damn i wish i lived close to you!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The only problems I see is you are listening to advice from Dave Camp, and the bb height, while doable, is certainly extreme to the low side.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
If you can make it to Sea Otter, I'd love to give that thing a spin. I rode Sanjay's bike like three or four years ago, but that doesn't really count.

Soooo many good ideas going on there. What really sets it apart from the rest of the bikes out there is its practicality and simplicity- it's got whatcha needs and nothing you don't. Looks great!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
by moving the shock mounts you would effectively shorten the CS slightly too since its growth would be reduced by....yada yada.
not alot but static 16" cs is short already, how about multi-position cs length? flip flop type insert offsets or something??
damn i wish i lived close to you!
no you don't want to live here its been like Fargo here all of JAN!
last year it was in the 60's, wacky west Texas weather.

more parts to draw, it will have some little cnced dropouts
that bolt to the carbon swingarms. they could be longer.

with ever thing bolting together design possibility's are endless.
alex

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I like it. Although I do have to say that the wheelbase and bottom bracket height would take some serious getting used to...

The design is also pretty cool aesthetically. It's a strange combination of organic and geometric shapes. I can't wait to see the finished product!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
What is the intended use?

If it's for DH racing, I'd say lengthen the WB to 45.5"
Most DH bike chainstays are 17.5", his are 16" - that bike will be the equivalent of a 46" WB in terms of front end length, just with a shorter rear. Other than the insanely low BB height (even 13.5" is extremely low, let alone TWELVE and a half inches) that looks siiiiiiick.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
On flat ground yes but on a rocky DH track I think more time can be saved in being able to pedal. I say 13'75"+ is needed.
Otherwise totally awsome,can't wait to see it made.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
On flat ground yes but on a rocky DH track I think more time can be saved in being able to pedal. I say 13'75"+ is needed.
i agree to an extent. my pdc slammed was running a bb height of 13.5". while this was fine on smoother stuff, i found it detrimental in some of the knarlier sections - limiting pedalling opportunities and sometimes line selection. clipping pedals & augering chainguides gets old. raising things up a bit seemed more beneficial overall than having a very slightly lower cg. of course this is dependent on the tracks you're riding - some people can get away with the super lowriders. having bb adjustability is a good thing (ie, like orange's shock shuttles).

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Even making it from carbon I'd be worried that you have no strength in the front end - you've got a virtual pivot where the tubes cross as there's no triangulation. I know it's a "using big wheels and still getting the front end low" thing but I'd imagine it will be heavier for a given strength/flex than it could be if you used proper triangles.

Good work though, nice to see someone cutting their own path. Hope it all works.