Quantcast

2007 Iron Horse Warrior 6.0

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
I've been looking around your forum here, and I have to admit, it's well maintained and the members are helpful.

Ok on to buisness:

I recently had my 2004 K2 ZED 2.0 stolen from a store front, and am looking for a new bike; I had put over $1000 in the bike. So, I've spent a few days surfing the net, picking and choosing features and looks that I'd think I like that's in my price range. So far, I kept running to the Warrior 6.0. It seems like a great bike from the reviews (far and few between) I've read, and looks to suit what I'm interested in doing. Pretty much, I do mainly Cross Country. But, sometimes a little jumping and harder stuff squeezes it's way into my path.

So, I've done some shopping and came to two retailers I'm considering, if I choose this bike.

Sierra Trading Post
I've never heard of this company, but they are selling the bike for $900+ Shipping and I have a 20% off Coupon that brings it down to $750.

Randall Scott Cycle Company
I've never heard of this retailer either. They are offering the bike for an inevitable $850, shipped

I'm Shipping to South Central Alaska.

What I'm asking: Are these retailers worth doing business with for the prices they have?

Thank you, and I am looking forward to your replies,

Mike.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
Both Randall Scott and Sierra Trading Post are registered dealers so no worries there. I'm not sure if Sierra Trading Post has a Pro-Build option like Randall Scott does but if not, or if you decline to go with the Pro-Build, you have to have the bike assembled by a mechanic to validate your warranty.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
I bought an Ironhorse from RS, built it myslef and IH helped me out several times/no problem.
We're pretty helpful if it's not a major part but if it were something questionable where we were concerned with who assembled the bike we could ask for proof of assembly. If you didn't have proof of professional assembly we could deny your claim. Not saying it happens a lot but it can happen and hence worth it to have it assembled by a shop.

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Hmm, ok. Thanks for the reassurance. I have a local Iron Horse dealer here in Alaska, so I think I'll get them to put the bike together. So, what about the bike? Has anyone here discovered any weaknesses with it? What about the components?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
For the money the spec looks good, its a bit on the weighty side (35 lbs)

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
At least talk to the local bike shop and ask them what they would charge you. Let them know that while you want to support them it's hard to spend extra money when you don't have to. If they can't get you a good price order it from one of the above companies.

MikeStanfill

Chimp
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Good idea, except it would put him out of business to sell bikes for almost 40% off. Besides, he doesn't have one in stock at the moment. Also, considering it's a 2007 model, I doubt he will ever will.

I did talk to him though about assembling the bike. He told me it depends on how much I want done. Said he's charged anyone from $80 to $120 to assemble one.

Also, I'm not sure what size to get. The K2 I had was a 19 inch, and just a little big. I have no access to a Iron Horse bike within 40 miles of me, so it's not convenient to stand over one. I guess what I'm asking is, is a 19 inch IH Warrior 6.0 bigger or smaller than a 19 Inch K2 Zed?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Good idea, except it would put him out of business to sell bikes for almost 40% off. Besides, he doesn't have one in stock at the moment. Also, considering it's a 2007 model, I doubt he will ever will.

I did talk to him though about assembling the bike. He told me it depends on how much I want done. Said he's charged anyone from $80 to $120 to assemble one.

Also, I'm not sure what size to get. The K2 I had was a 19 inch, and just a little big. I have no access to a Iron Horse bike within 40 miles of me, so it's not convenient to stand over one. I guess what I'm asking is, is a 19 inch IH Warrior 6.0 bigger or smaller than a 19 Inch K2 Zed?
I really don't think anyone is going to be able to answer that question. bikes with different geometry fit differently.

I know you said you have no access to it, but buying a bike that you have already ridden and are comfortable with is key. Does the IH dealer near you have an '08 in stock you can sit on to get a feel for the size?

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY

The Warrior is going to be slightly shorter in the top tube with an effective top tube of 23.07 versus the 04 Zed 2.0's 23.2, little more than 1/8th of an inch shorter. Also, the Warrior is technically a 19.5" while the 04 Zed was a 19" even.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I would look at the standover as well. That can give you a good idea of how it will fit

jsmith811

Chimp
Aug 12, 2007
Randall Scott is a reputable company, but just don't plan on returning anything to them. I purchased several bikes from them for my kids, the 3rd one I purchased didn't fit and had some issues, it was a war trying to get a Return# from them,(we had not ridden the bike of course and attempted return 2 days after receipt) the fine print also states you LOSE 10% on return for restocking fee, which is alot of money if you buy something over 800-900. So, If you know exactly what you want, and don't plan on returning it they usually have the cheapest prices.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
fwiw, just steered my neighbor to get a 17" warrior 7.5 off the rack (not sure what the difference is from the 6.0) & it came nicely equipped (xt/deore mix, shimano hydraulic) for $900 - $100 coupon - $90 store cred = nearly half msrp.

for my troubles i got to snake his egg beaters :thumb:

edit: oh, 6.0 = fs