Quantcast

2007 NMBS Tentative Schedule

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i just had some vomit come up in my mouth!

i did not NCS's this year and will boycott next year too

and every year till there is a rule about all dh'd have to have at

least 1000' vert.

also looks liek the team support rigs will be loving life. from the west caost to the east coast and back to the west coast and depending when the finals are.....

also gonna be a pain with the US open, usuall at the end of may...the support rigs are gonna love that

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
good thing sonoma is still in the game.........................
Thank the gods! There was such rousing support from fans and sponsors.

I am almost afraid to see the Super D course in San Jose. It would be nice to think it would be at Henry Coe, but I am afraid it will be down Sierra Road....

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado

least 1000' vert.
I agree Alex. WTF? Let's just hope "Big Foot Productions" A.K.A. Yeti Cycles ups the ante for the MSC Series. Cycle Cyndicate has done a great job for years, I hope BFP can take it to the next level. We shall see...

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
ok, now I will respond, Its a pretty bad schedule, and it will be most likely the same sh*t as this year, but read the + thing, it says finals will be in colorado :) utah, and Idaho :) please bring back Idaho!!

L

luelling

least 1000' vert.
You actually want a hill??? Thats too much to ask these days. With how crappy the schedule is I guess I'll only be racing XC at series events.....and maybe mountain cross

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Kinda stoked on the venues, all not too far from me except for Sugar Mtn and the National Champs. Still... why Sonoma again? And Fontana? Do they not hear all the gravity riders complaining about the courses? It seems like those would be easy to replace with Snowshoe, something on Colorado, Angelfire, or even Northstar since I think it's open in 07. Lame.

Is it just me or are they short a race or two? They had 7 rounds last year, now it's only 5. And I'm guessing they're going to be roughly the same quality.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I dunno Fraser, the NC track is actually really awesome, and there is something to be said of the importance of having races in most regions.

I don't get why there isn't a national in the midwest though, as obviously a mtn is no longer a requirement for a venue. The rest of the schedule really doesn't interest me too much. There really is no reason to leave the east coast for a mid-pack semi-pro like me, as the local races are invariably better run than nats, the competition is deeper and they are more fun...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It says Series Final TBA (Idaho, Co, UT)...I assume that means no Mt. Snow?

What assy venues.

No Brian Head?

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Why don't they just give up ? Every year the series has gotten worse and worse and now this schedule proves it is time to move on. We were seriously considering racing the entire series next year but now I highly doubt it.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
There is talk of Keystone, CO for the series finals.

I was just there for the Mountain States race and I think they could pull off a great race.

Nothing like a DH course where Pro times are in the low 8 minutes!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mt Snow is the national championships.

That schedule is horrible also...awesome Dh venues! fontana, sonoma, park city, sugar and somewhere in Co. WTF happenned to epic venues like Squaw, mammoth, big bear, crystal even WV.

Bro...I can't decipher your intent too well about the Sugar course if you're saying it was bad or good...but if you're saying BAD...here is a clue. I asked Kirkcaldie what he thought of it and he said it was awesome b/c it was "the hardest course we've had in a long time."

The course was f***ing tough and the pros all had a damn good time. When Graves and Kirkcaldie go off course more than once in a race run....

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Bro...I can't decipher your intent too well about the Sugar course if you're saying it was bad or good...but if you're saying BAD...here is a clue. I asked Kirkcaldie what he thought of it and he said it was awesome b/c it was "the hardest course we've had in a long time."

The course was f***ing tough and the pros all had a damn good time. When Graves and Kirkcaldie go off course more than once in a race run....
I am not arguing with you, but a technically hard course does not necessarily make a good race course. I was not at NC so I cannot personally comment, however I did hear alot of mixed emotions about the race. Some people loved it some people hated it. I think I heard enough good things for me to consider going next year.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Mt Snow is the national championships.

That schedule is horrible also...awesome Dh venues! fontana, sonoma, park city, sugar and somewhere in Co. WTF happenned to epic venues like Squaw, mammoth, big bear, crystal even WV.
They decided in 2006 to put some races on near major metropolitan centers because racers said that was what they wanted......so Norba does this and people still bithc-whine-moan and complain.....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Hmmmmm, AZ, CA, CA, UT, CA, NC, and something in CO, UT or ID.

Except for NC, there is NOTHING East of Utah... Ok, so we get Nationals in the Northeast, which is good, but c'mon. 5 on the West Coast, 1 on the East Coast, and an additional one somewhere out West as well.

Also noticed that they have scheduled the times around the US Open so that the week before there's a CA race, and 2 weeks after there's a Utah race. Wonder how many team trucks will make the trip out to Jersey for that one. Also, if Nationals are 18/19th (depending on UCI), then it will go California, North Carolina, CO/UT/ID, Vermont.

Anyway, VOTE FOR SKA TODD!!!

:bonk: :cheers: :happydance:

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Bummer on this schedule, I was hoping the 2006 season would be the worst. I'm really trying to get motivated for next year but this does not help. As for the crappy venues...as I, and others have mentioned before, people are taking these "venues" and calling them good enough.
Transcend nailed it, both obviously and bluntly: "WTF happened to epic venues like Squaw, mammoth, big bear, crystal even WV." That's what people should be saying, instead of :"good enough", "At least it's close to a major metropolitan area". That's B.S.

"If we settle for nothing now, then we will settle for nothing later"

Lopes and Palmer in Mammoth circa '99, they were racing for money...on a real Dual track.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
what needs to happen it the dh series need totally seperate locations.

they need a dh series and a XC series.

track that need to be used.

Squaw valley: had one world cup and thats it. the sickest track i have ever walked!

Durango: should be a staple like Mountsnow.

Id/Crystal/Mt HOOD: diversify the series so everyone has a home event.

lastlly some new area that will work hard to become the best:
placid, angelfire, breakenridge, winterpark, whitefish, other VT areas.

doc gravity

Monkey
Oct 25, 2004
highlands ranch, CO
The rest of the schedule really doesn't interest me too much. There really is no reason to leave the east coast for a mid-pack semi-pro like me, as the local races are invariably better run than nats, the competition is deeper and they are more fun...
Substitute Mountain States for the east coast, and I agree with everything you said. How can they not get it. Regional series are stronger and more fun than the national series. Support the people and series who support you. Doc

OGDMFG

Monkey
screw norba and screw team a$$hat-big bear I am not even going to race at deer valley even though the venue is an hour from my house.the series is a (explitive)joke, :rant: :rant: In my honest opinion we really need something else.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The lack of east coast venues is ridiculous. Are there really not any mountains out here that want a national? I mean, geez, if we have fontana and those other "mountains" why can't a small east coast resort do a nat (plattekill, or something like it)?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The lack of east coast venues is ridiculous. Are there really not any mountains out here that want a national? I mean, geez, if we have fontana and those other "mountains" why can't a small east coast resort do a nat (plattekill, or something like it)?
Plattekill would never be able to house the participants, but think of some place like Hunter, Gore, Whiteface, Killington, hell, maybe even Sunday River for a one-time event (even though they don't allow mtn bikes the rest of the time). the "well we have a venue at Mt Snow so we don't need another for 1000 miles" gets a bit tiring...

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
With one week of trail work you could revive some of the sweetest trails at Sunday River and have a venue better than Mt. Snow.... That would be a dream. Too bad..

Plattekill would never be able to house the participants, but think of some place like Hunter, Gore, Whiteface, Killington, hell, maybe even Sunday River for a one-time event (even though they don't allow mtn bikes the rest of the time). the "well we have a venue at Mt Snow so we don't need another for 1000 miles" gets a bit tiring...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The resorts people on the East Coast want races at, are having their own successful races now and I assume don't NEED a National to make money.

The biggest thing none of us know in this whole series is the combined needs of the individual venues that applied for a National this year. Contingent upon whatever time constraints each venue has, those may not mesh with the calender of the overall Nat. Series. Sugar is doing NORBA a favor by filling in a big TIME GAP by hosting a July event in '07. From what I got from Sugar, NORBA asked them to be in the series in '07. Sugar said they would give them an answer after they met to determine whether the '06 was financially WORTH having gone through. NORBA asked if Sugar could do a July timeslot instead of June to help fill in calender gaps other venues couldn't cover and Sugar decided to facilitate.

If Sugar had anything, like say their yearly lift inspection, scheduled in July, you could count on a big fat VOID in the National schedule.

For whatever reasons financially and fiscally, resorts aren't keen to getting a massive staff together for a small mid-summer single weekend event. They'd much rather either use their step down staff remaining from Winter operations to carry them through something like a National or a ramp up to the Nat in the fall and use the staff from it to prep for the Winter coming.

THAT is why you see that big void in the middle of the schedule. As to why there are no East Coast venues on the schedule, try writing the resorts here and asking them if they even applied for a Nat. in '07 and if yes or no what their reasons were.

I think you'll find not so many venues here applied as compared to out West.

To NORBA's credit...they've been chasing a resort in this region for years to get a Nat. back in the Southeast. It just hadn't come about until '06.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thats awsome. personally i love ridding at sugar. they have deffiantly improved drasticly since 05 and i know a tone of locals that love to shred up there. yeh there arent millions of trails but the ones that they have are killer fun.

i personally thank sugar for steeping up to the plate in 06 and 07, and i will make it a personal vendetta to get as many people there as i can to keep that place up and running. well hope to see all you boys up there this year and i cant wait till the next race season.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
The resorts people on the East Coast want races at, are having their own successful races now and I assume don't NEED a National to make money.

As to why there are no East Coast venues on the schedule, try writing the resorts here and asking them if they even applied for a Nat. in '07 and if yes or no what their reasons were.
I did ask this at a mountain that now has their own series and was told "It's too much hassle and We make more money on a weekend with Our own series."

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
With one week of trail work you could revive some of the sweetest trails at Sunday River and have a venue better than Mt. Snow.... That would be a dream. Too bad..
Sunday River might as well be in another country.....that's a haul to get there for anybody.