Quantcast

2007 North America World Cups?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Rumour is that there is going to be 2-3 NA rounds. Ste Anne however, could be on the chopping block. At least that is the word from a few people. Odd, since it has been run every year since the first ever WC.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I'd much rather Ste Anne over Bromont. What about you Frazer. But then again neither of us are racing World Cups.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'd much rather Ste Anne over Bromont. What about you Frazer. But then again neither of us are racing World Cups.
I am racing some of them and I am working at the rest as a journalist. Bromont is a dump compared to Ste Anne - and the courses are all completely destroyed. It makes for lousy pictures, has no infrastructure to speak of really and realy just isn't as good.

Of course, this weekend Rotorua showed you don't have to be Vail to put on a stellar event.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Oh man, that would be great if there were even 1 North American WC. I hit both the Vigo and Willingen races this year, but next year probably won't be abroad.

The UCI point wasn't required this year, but I've heard A LOT of rumors that it will be for next year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh man, that would be great if there were even 1 North American WC. I hit both the Vigo and Willingen races this year, but next year probably won't be abroad.

The UCI point wasn't required this year, but I've heard A LOT of rumors that it will be for next year.
The UCI needs to get its head out of its ass. They keep changing the rules every 2 years for qualifying, it is getting pretty absurd.

Last I heard, no points, but local federations are going to be asked to be more strict about whom they allow to attend.

I'd be willing to bet that Ste Anne makes a return. The riders love it, media loves it, locals love it.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i sure hope this is true, it would be great to be able to do half the world cup circut over here and the other half over in europe,
after going to NZ for worlds last week i feel for the Aussie / NZ group, especially when the go to europe.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
yeah, squaw varrey was so good. scary rocks biting faces off... who doesnt remember that from headliners2?

i dont know about vail. i have no idea what they would want to do with a world cup. it would be a slow weekend for them. i'd be psyched but honestly very surprised if they wanted to bother themselves with a world cup.

i hoep st anne stays around. like fraser said, the riders, media, and locals love the place. and the riders and media love the locals... so what's not to like?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Vail worlds and the Vail world cup were really well run and the course was good. I can see them running it again, only I don't think the locals were impressed by the circus invading their little valley.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Vail worlds and the Vail world cup were really well run and the course was good. I can see them running it again, only I don't think the locals were impressed by the circus invading their little valley.
Has their ever been a WC at Deer Valley?

I can see the PC folk being the same way. :disgust:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Since i didn't go to the first Angel Fire WC last year i would be stoked to be there next year!
From talking to a few people, this would be the last place anyone wants to go. The course is sweet, but it's in the middle of nowhere, doesn;t have much in the way of hotel/restaurants etc. Sort of like Crystal Mountain back in 2000. One of the best Dh courses i have ever ridden, yet it had about 100 rooms on site, 1 restaurant/snack bar and was in the middle of a national park.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
From talking to a few people, this would be the last place anyone wants to go. The course is sweet, but it's in the middle of nowhere, doesn;t have much in the way of hotel/restaurants etc. Sort of like Crystal Mountain back in 2000. One of the best Dh courses i have ever ridden, yet it had about 100 rooms on site, 1 restaurant/snack bar and was in the middle of a national park.
Yea Crystal!!

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Oh also, i heard from a REALLY good source that Maribor is quite possibly making a return. Won best track award in 1999 and 2000 i believe.
Yup! Maribor is coming back in 2007 for sure. We had our national championships (slovenian) in July. The track was pretty much the same as the last WC in 2002 only with minor changes and no big jumps, but they will build them for WC race.
Some photos: http://gallery.mtb.si/view_album.php?set_albumName=dp2006&page=1

Anglefire has plenty of Hotel space, There is probably capacity for twice as much as necissary if all the hotel's open up for the week.
But yeah there is really only a few places to go out and eat and it isn't the easiest place to get to if you have to fly in.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Anglefire has plenty of Hotel space, There is probably capacity for twice as much as necissary if all the hotel's open up for the week.
But yeah there is really only a few places to go out and eat and it isn't the easiest place to get to if you have to fly in.
And as you said...most don't open in the summer as it just isn't worth it for them. And the flying thing is a good point, it SUCKS to get to if you have to fly.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Yup! Maribor is coming back in 2007 for sure. We had our national championships (slovenian) in July. The track was pretty much the same as the last WC in 2002 only with minor changes and no big jumps, but they will build them for WC race.
Some photos: http://gallery.mtb.si/view_album.php?set_albumName=dp2006&page=1
Maribor's DH is so fun to ride, i might have to get back on my dh bike for that world cup, the course has so much flow it's unreal and it's high speed most of the way.
where is the 4x you have in the picture galary located? they have always had a tough time to build the dual/4x course at Maribor as the hill is steep that they use.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
The UCI needs to get its head out of its ass. They keep changing the rules every 2 years for qualifying, it is getting pretty absurd.

Last I heard, no points, but local federations are going to be asked to be more strict about whom they allow to attend.

I'd be willing to bet that Ste Anne makes a return. The riders love it, media loves it, locals love it.
The way I understand the points is this:

For DH you WILL be needing a point again, but for XC, all you have to do is petition your national cycling body. Brought about why? Because people were complaining about too high of turnout at the XC races, making passing extremely difficult.

So what do they do, add a point for DH, crazy people :banana: