Quantcast

2007 Wrap-up : The dumbest thing you've done this year?

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
not fun. can you say cheesegrater?
Ugh, I just got goose bumps from the thought.

Now I'm a pretty mechanically inclined individual. I'm an engineer, I know my way around cars, I put my own lift on my Jeep. Well I needed to change out brake rotors and pads on my Jeep this summer. Its the first brake job I have done in a long time. So I get the Jeep jacked up, wheels off just fine.

I need to take the rotor off so I start trying to loosen the bolt head on the calipers. I'm putting my back into it and its still not budging. Sure enough I snap the head off the bolt. I get a ride from my friend to NAPA to pick up a new bolt. I get back to the Jeep and get some pliers to get the bolt out. It spins freely.

Sure enough I was twisting the bolt the wrong way. The rest of the bolts came out just fine.

Not exactly "life changing stupid" but stupid.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
cut 1.5" off each end of my wideboy bars so i could fit between a gap in a wooden fence on my commute to work.

the NEXT DAY i changed my route.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cut 1.5" off each end of my wideboy bars so i could fit between a gap in a wooden fence on my commute to work.

the NEXT DAY i changed my route.
next time try turning the handlebars? :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
next time try turning the handlebars? :D
but i wanted to be able to just blaze through w/o a troublesome 1-3 second delay on my half-hour ride to work.

upshot is, i think i've turned teh corner on car- & cop-related entries in this category.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I mixed up an email from a client w/ one where my boss and I were making fun of the technical skills of said client. I responded to the client's question in the wrong one - the subject lines were nearly identical. Not sure if they saw the additional content (or would've figured out we were mocking them).

I was really nervous the next time I had to call them.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
not skipping school today to go snowboarding.

still got up there at 11:30 and had one of the best days of my life, but being there at 9 would have been in****ingcredible.

not skipping school today to go snowboarding.

still got up there at 11:30 and had one of the best days of my life, but being there at 9 would have been in****ingcredible.
if you are talking about bachelor, 9 would have been too late. we had guys lining up at 830. by nine the line was almost back to the lift shack at pine....

but yeah from what i heard while standing at the lift...it was awesome!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
oh almost forgot, i offered blue the other half of my hotel room during the week of interbike in vegas...............

wtf was i thinking, good thing it never happened or i would have ended up in a bathtub full of ice with major organs missing
bwahaha

I also need to add that I never should have trusted the hotel cleaning man my last night in Vegas...I would've been far better off with GFF. Though things could've ended FAR worse than they did... *shudder* :twitch:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
if you are talking about bachelor, 9 would have been too late. we had guys lining up at 830. by nine the line was almost back to the lift shack at pine....

but yeah from what i heard while standing at the lift...it was awesome!
mt. ashland, but i think bachelor would have been just a wee bit better. :busted:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I decided to take on a business partner who promptly screwed me out of $50k in 5 months. Now he's sitting pretty and I'm stuck paying his debt for the next 5 years while there's virtually nothing I can do legally.