Quantcast

2008 marzocchi forks/roco pictures

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
they are officially back in the game,
the tripple 8 looks like a mix between the new rockshocks, and a 40............

I LIKE IT

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Whoever "emo"d the Marzoochi decals needs to be dragged out to the curb and greeted with a Hollywood smile......fugly

Oct 30, 2006
they are officially back in the game,
the tripple 8 looks like a mix between the new rockshocks, and a 40............

I LIKE IT
yeah man , the 888 and a few other models sorta look like rockshox forks, that must be why they also look lighter....

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
man they look like ****! but its all about how it rides. im glad i got an all black marzo when i did.

HEM3

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
Don't know bout this information on these pictures but why does MZ always annouce the weight of their products w/o steerer and axle? Does anybody use suspensions w/o them?
:bonk:

By the way MZ lost it's character...

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
...and I just went and bought (like 10 minutes ago) a 2007 66rc2x...

(still, only fools and sponsored riders put up with 1st gen product)

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Is it just me or does it say 38mm stanchions on the 66 and 888?

I bought the 04'888r when it first came out and now it looks like the 08' 888rc3 will be its replacement.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Wonder if the new 888SL includes serious design flaws like last time... like being physically impossible to bottom out or use all the travel on.

Hope they redesigned the air cartridge for the better, and hopefully got rid of the stupid PAR chamber. Reading the text though, doesn't look like much has changed in that regard.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
38mm internals in 35mm... yeh, sure it prob wont fit, but be good to know rather than speculate hey?

Also - anyone know how much weight Ti springs actually differ from steel for a 66?

engel777

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
Europe - IE, SK
with Ti stuff you are saving about 50% of weight... what is in zoki springs case 150g... they does weight their forks with steer tube but I think without axle...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
888 springs weigh ~136g each... and 50% weight saving with ti is an absolute best case scenario, so at the most you'll be able to save 136g. If you are serious about saving weight, the air forks are the only way to go. Less money wasted, more weight saved.

As for what they weigh with - their weights seem "normal" now finally. For example, the 07 888SL was weighed with steerer, bumpers, axle, and oil (like every other manufacturer has for years).

So their claim of 2910g for the new SL should be directly comparable with other brand forks assuming it's accurate.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
UDi not sure if your referring to the cheaper air one but you may not have read the tiny writting but the World cup is Air next year,I'm guessing it'll be the most expensive.If it's Marzocchi reliable it'll be briliant.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you're talking about post #18 - I was talking about their 07 888SL. Reliability was nothing special (they leaked out of the air topcap if you turned them upside down), and they had a serious design flaw where the internal volume at full travel was so small that it was impossible to bottom the fork out. The stupid PAR chamber only compounded the issue, once you removed the whole chamber and associated piston things worked better.

Vitox ended up having to machine up a whole new endplug for the cartridge though, not everyone has the means to do that stuff to make a fork work.

So yeah - I think "brilliant" is being super optimistic given their poor effort last year, and it doesn't sound like they've changed much on the air spring system for the 08 model (just the chassis, stanchions, etc). Almost everyone that bought the 07 air fork on here ended up ditching them!

Definitely nice to see them pushing forward (unlike fox) but i'd certainly want to let a few fast guys and a few smart guys trial them before I bought one.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
What would be the weight difference in an air spring and a Ti spring though Udi? Remember that in an airspring you still need a piston, o rings etc, rather than just a spring. So maybe 100g or so but with 100% (at least) better reliability. I still lean towards coil, but I am poor, and can't afford rebuilds. I even pick up broken chains:disgust1:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The weights are in that link man.
For 08 it looks like 3170g for the Ti WC, and 2910g for the SL WC.
Last years weights were somewhere around 3200 and 2950 respectively. And on the boxxer it's 3082 vs 2767g.

So we're talking in the region of 250 - 315g. Remember that the 888 runs two springs, which kinda leaves it dragging behind even if it is Ti. Switching to one spring would make it cheaper and lighter (ala fox). Also, the 888WC ran two dampers (one totally unnecessary), which would easily be similar to the air cartridge - whereas the SL obviously just ran 1 damper and 1 air cart.

PS-
I've got the boxxer apart for some love at the moment, and it's got a whooping total of FOUR o-rings in the air spring, and only three of those are sliding. So cost isn't really an issue, and as long as you keep everything lubed it seems to run pretty trouble free. But that's just me - if you're more comfortable on coil, stick with it.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
My bad, I actually meant Fox 40, just didn't type it.:imstupid:

Just checked the Fox, 3090g vs 2767g for the boxxer. Thats quite a bit isn't it. More than I estimated.

If I end up getting the mojo kit my 888's will weigh approx. 2775g. You kinda put me off that though...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, works fine - but the marzocchi x-firm spring isn't very hard (even for a 60kg rider) so you'd need to go to another brand spring. I think people have made boxxer ones work.

Unless of course marz are making single spring forks now like NSM says - then they might have a rate hard enough.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
38mm internals in 35mm... yeh, sure it prob wont fit, but be good to know rather than speculate hey?

Also - anyone know how much weight Ti springs actually differ from steel for a 66?

well, who knows, just speculation of course, but in 07, there is a lot of stuff in the 32mm forks you can use in the 35mm forks.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Wonder if the new 888SL includes serious design flaws like last time... like being physically impossible to bottom out or use all the travel on.

Hope they redesigned the air cartridge for the better, and hopefully got rid of the stupid PAR chamber. Reading the text though, doesn't look like much has changed in that regard.

yes it has changed, i dont really know about the PAR chamber being removed, but the bottom out air volume problem will be comprehensively solved.

as for the listed weights, i have weighed maybe 10 forks of the 07 line and i have found the listed weights to be pretty accurate, in fact some have been lower in real life (not by much, but still) than listed, the air 888 for instance listed at 2950, weighed in at between 2970 and 2995 with sticker protectors and uncut steerer, so likely exactly on target, air 66 weighed in at exactly the same as listed, 2590g. 66rc2x onepointfive 2937btw (not listed)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
yes it has changed, i dont really know about the PAR chamber being removed, but the bottom out air volume problem will be comprehensively solved.
Ah that's good to hear. I'll be interested to hear what you think once you've got a couple.

Also - is it now a seperate negative/positive air affair? I read something about that in the catalogue pic. I would have thought the "solo air" setup would have been preferable so it could auto bleed to even the pressures out in action.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've got a brand new out of the box "works" 888 ata sl that I rode all last weekend and the travel is working on it now. Don't know what they did but it was tremendously better than my first rendition. i've 1 little kink to iron out, but it's not performance oriented.