don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Wow - that's a long rhythm section. The jumps look huge! The next time I'm in Beijing I'll have to go check out the venue. I've seen most of the new buildings already.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Hey Lee - speaking of great builders - did you happen to ride w/ Kelly Baker at Ray's recently? I saw a post from him on Vintage with a broken helmet - I guess hit a rafter or something. Sounded like he like the place a lot.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Yeah, then the crazy guy wrapped his head in a t-shirt borrowed Doyles lid and rode some more after a little break to slow the bleeding... Sean saw the crash was 4 feet away.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Yeah, then the crazy guy wrapped his head in a t-shirt borrowed Doyles lid and rode some more after a little break to slow the bleeding... Sean saw the crash was 4 feet away.
Jeez, although it doesn't surprise me from the stories I've heard. Those upstate NY guys are nuts!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
32' for that berm jump....you messs up that section you're never going to make that jump.
What I think is really cool about this track is it combines the burlyness of the X-Games/Woodward downhill but with the relative flatness - need for peddling/being smooth of a normal BMX track.

If it's built right there should be some good close racing going on - power guys can still peddle but the guys with jump skills will be at home on the 2nd straight. I used to race BMX years ago, but haven't been that interested in it in a long time and I'm really siked to see how this goes in 2008.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
They just held a BMX world cup event on the Olympic track to be used in Beijing. Donny Robinson with the win. Here are a few pics of the track...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
whoa! At first glance, I was thinking that track looks smooth and nice and then I noticed how small that rider is. Yikes! Hopefully it meant for some good racing w/ passing w/ the track being that wide and big.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The whole thing looks massive. The starting hill looks like it's 5 stories tall!!
I know, I can only imagine the speed they are getting off of that thing. And each berm drops it down a level. Those guys are probably running Danny Millwee/Sean Burns gearing of 44-13.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I know. Holy crap. I think that's the fastest I've ever seen a bmx bike go. Looks even faster than the downhill bmx they had at Woodward a few years back.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
DAYUM! That's some insane speed, I wish he was clocked to see his top speed.

btw, Mike Day's clip should be in, "The Next Level" section being it's totally insane.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
They just held a BMX world cup event on the Olympic track to be used in Beijing. Donny Robinson with the win. Here are a few pics of the track...
holy ****,, i used to race with that kid back int eh day when was like12-13 yrs old.. hed run practice with all hte 18-20experts and be at front of the pack.. awesome to see hes still bangin bars..

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Mike Day's hot lap has to be one of the best things I've ever seen done on bike.
Thanks for posting these.

L

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
holy ****,, i used to race with that kid back int eh day when was like12-13 yrs old.. hed run practice with all hte 18-20experts and be at front of the pack.. awesome to see hes still bangin bars..
Haha. Yeah, I remember him, too. He would be killing it in like 10 or 11 year old x and doing nac-nacs over the big dubs. Looks like he got older, but not much taller... :brow:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
DAYUM! That's some insane speed, I wish he was clocked to see his top speed.

I did the math, 370 meters @ 36.534 secs translates to an average track speed of 22.6 mph. Top speed must be significantly higher than that. I wonder how many G's he's pulling into the corners? It must be crushing.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
Just got home from the Olympic trials today at the OTC here in San Diego. The track they built there is an exact duplicate of the track in China. The same guy built both tracks. It is insane. The pictures we've seen and the one's I'm posting don't do this track any justice. I took video of a couple of motos and will post it up once I get a firewire cable for my laptop. The trials are supposed to be aired on MSNBC tomorrow so I won't say who won encase anyone wanted to watch on TV. But there was some pretty good racing. More than that though was just watching these guys attack this monster of a track with as much confidence and smoothness as they would any other BMX track.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thanks for the pics. I still can't believe that track(s). I'm sure it's even more impressive in person. I'm so stoked that bmx is in the olympics. Hopefully, it will get more young people interested in racing bmx.

Jon Kerr

Chimp
Jan 30, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
It really was more impressive in person. My jaw dropped when we walked up. I was there with a bunch of local guys I race with. Even the guy who's district points leader in the cruiser class said there's no way in hell he'd attempt to ride the guys line around the track with that berm jump. The other thing that's really cool about the track is it's really a downhill slope. The finish line is probably 6-8 feet below the level of the first straight. There were a couple of times during practice where guys were pumping the whole track. Not one pedal. That's how much momentum the layout allowed.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
WOW!! i've never seen a track like that ever. i used to race back in the early to mid 80's and i've never raced at a track that looked ANYTHING like that!!! that starting gate drop is insane!!! i can't wait too see it for the olympics!!