Quantcast

2008 triple 888

Lutedude

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to adjust for small high speed bumps. It feels really harsh on the small brake bumps on the way to the lift other then that it feels perfect. Do I add or reduce compression or mess with the rebound? Thanks

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
well less compression dampening maybe, but that affects all areas of compression also more rebound control may help i think thats right, but sometimes if i am not riding i mix things up in my mind
i have an rc3 also, and the first day i had it i noticed it was harsh in my hands over small stuff, and i just turned the preload down some that solved that for me, i have kind of used the preload to work on the very upper part of the travel i do this because almost no matter what the sag is never correct on my bike

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
I don't remember ever suggesting to put everything "in the middle", thats not really how your suspension should be setup. I'd say try not running any air in your compression chamber and run your Low/High Speed compression know only 1-2 clicks in. Most riders shouldn't need any more compression dampening than that if you want your fork to stay reasonably active.

Also check that your rebound isn't too fast. If you can't feel the fork's rebound circuit slowing the expansion of the fork at all, then it's probably WAY too fast and the harshness you feel may actually be coming from your fork topping out, rather than it ramping up.

Lutedude

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
I don't remember ever suggesting to put everything "in the middle", thats not really how your suspension should be setup. I'd say try not running any air in your compression chamber and run your Low/High Speed compression know only 1-2 clicks in. Most riders shouldn't need any more compression dampening than that if you want your fork to stay reasonably active.

Also check that your rebound isn't too fast. If you can't feel the fork's rebound circuit slowing the expansion of the fork at all, then it's probably WAY too fast and the harshness you feel may actually be coming from your fork topping out, rather than it ramping up.
Ok maybe that was someone else I will try this then I dont have air so its the compression preload and rebound.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
If it's one of the new WC 888's it should have an air chamber, not to be confused with the air spring on the 888 WC ATA. The air chamber virtually increases the oil level on all RC3 forks. But other than that, yeah mess with your regular dampening settings. Also, make sure you have the right spring rate. I see WAY too many riders that run springs that are too heavy in an effort to prevent bottoming-out. Suspension is designed to bottom out, if you aren't doing it at least once a run (more if your riding hard) then you aren't using all your suspension and it could be the cause of your described "harshness". The only reason to run a higher spring rate than what your weight calls for is if you race and want to sacrifice some travel for increased sprinting ability (but this should and can be done through platform & other dampening) or if your a guy like Bender who is dropping 40ft+ cliffs and is only concerned how the suspension functions for that specific move.

Lutedude

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
If it's one of the new WC 888's it should have an air chamber, not to be confused with the air spring on the 888 WC ATA. The air chamber virtually increases the oil level on all RC3 forks. But other than that, yeah mess with your regular dampening settings. Also, make sure you have the right spring rate. I see WAY too many riders that run springs that are too heavy in an effort to prevent bottoming-out. Suspension is designed to bottom out, if you aren't doing it at least once a run (more if your riding hard) then you aren't using all your suspension and it could be the cause of your described "harshness". The only reason to run a higher spring rate than what your weight calls for is if you race and want to sacrifice some travel for increased sprinting ability (but this should and can be done through platform & other dampening) or if your a guy like Bender who is dropping 40ft+ cliffs and is only concerned how the suspension functions for that specific move.
1 or 2 clicks in on the compression I have the rebound active (not too fast not to sticky) and what about preload? Thnaks again :imstupid:

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
preload should be used to set the sag on your bike and also for your weight, as there are no spring options for the new 888's. i use preload also as kind of a bandaid compression adjustment for the top part of the travel

the new 888s the compression is supposed to adjust both high and low, so far in a parking lot test, it does not adjust the low speed the way i would have it in a parking lot type test however once moving it seems to work quite well

as far as my setup is concerned, my bike seems to never have the recommended sag so the preload is what i said, also i was getting a harshness in my hands over small stuff, so i turned my preload down and it solved it actually

new 888 i still need to change the oil and add more, i change it to fuchs silkolene 7.5 wt i didn't think i could tell a difference but it was pretty easy to tell it was way nicer than the golden spectro that comes in marz stuff

Last edited:

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
To make it plusher over small, high-frequency stuff while not losing too much bottom-out resistance reduce your external compression adjuster a few clicks while turning in the RC3 adjuster a turn or two. Be careful not to go too light on the comp damping cauz it will let the fork fall into the midstroke over small bumps. There are still trade-offs in other terrain (always are) to decreasing low speed compression damping while increasing end of stroke spring rate but it will accomplish what you are asking. Unless your rebound is so fast that you are feeling a top-out, quicker rebound damping will help plushness in this type of terrain (again trade-offs elsewhere). You should turn your suspension to work best in the type of terrain that you deem most important. This is why people use different settings on different courses.

Lutedude

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
To make it plusher over small, high-frequency stuff while not losing too much bottom-out resistance reduce your external compression adjuster a few clicks while turning in the RC3 adjuster a turn or two. Be careful not to go too light on the comp damping cauz it will let the fork fall into the midstroke over small bumps. There are still trade-offs in other terrain (always are) to decreasing low speed compression damping while increasing end of stroke spring rate but it will accomplish what you are asking. Unless your rebound is so fast that you are feeling a top-out, quicker rebound damping will help plushness in this type of terrain (again trade-offs elsewhere). You should turn your suspension to work best in the type of terrain that you deem most important. This is why people use different settings on different courses.
Thanks
The compression on the bottom 1 or 2 clicks what about the the dial that is on the same side as the rebound on top of the fork? Is that the low speed? And preload how do you adjust this??

Lutedude

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007

Called marzocchi today they made it real easy who knew:banghead: