Quantcast

2008 XT brakes, the cold, and you...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thats Interesting , I have use my Shimano hydro Deore's In 10 degree weather and had no issues. Later this week when we get really cold , I'll have to see how my XTR's on my AC1 react
Same. No trouble in very cold weather.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Here is what I would try. Find a bleed kit syringe with a close fitting on the end of the hose (I got mine from Avid). Fill it with fresh mineral oil. Then push all the air out and close the fitting. Draw back the syringe to create a vacuum. You will see new air bubbles form. Tap that bitch like a junky. Release the air and repeat until you get no more bubbles. Drain your lines and levers, reset the pistons, and then fill them up with the clean oil. Oh yeah... Fill them up from the caliper. Some folks fill shimano brakes from the lever?? Just makes a mess that way...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
funny i have 3 sets of 2007, xt/saint brakes. have ridden them in freezing temps. works fine. no sticking issue.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just sayin'...

it was 46 tonight when i left the shop. 10min drive home, 2miles of that being at 70mph...rest at 45, 30. had a new bike on the back of my truck with new XTs, pre-bled. got home, put the bike in my stand, and the same thing happened to these brakes.

Shimano's rebleeding mine and sending them back. Anyone want them?

For sale: 2008 XT hydros with 160mm IS adapters...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hey Dustin, Yesterday we were talking while in line waiting for the bus for the Shutle, We started talking about brakes, And Dude said the same thing was happening on his Magura's when he would ride in the extreme cold, like 20 or lower, just didnt have good braking at all. With seeing that in another system that uses Mineral oil, I have to now belive it has to do with the viscosity of the oil itself, and just getting to thick to operate properly. He also added he was having issues with long entended decents with fading a bit. So with that added, Im sticking to glycol bases fluid systems. Let us know what you end up getting, I would suggest the new Hayes Strokers!!! They feel awesome, and Im getting a set myself this summer.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hey Dustin, Yesterday we were talking while in line waiting for the bus for the Shutle, We started talking about brakes, And Dude said the same thing was happening on his Magura's when he would ride in the extreme cold, like 20 or lower, just didnt have good braking at all. With seeing that in another system that uses Mineral oil, I have to now belive it has to do with the viscosity of the oil itself, and just getting to thick to operate properly. He also added he was having issues with long entended decents with fading a bit. So with that added, Im sticking to glycol bases fluid systems. Let us know what you end up getting, I would suggest the new Hayes Strokers!!! They feel awesome, and Im getting a set myself this summer.
Nope. I have 05 XT and 07 Maguras - I've ridden in the cold plenty of times without a problem. Last weekend I was at Allamuchy Waterloo using the Maguras - it was 17 - no problems.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just adding what someone else had experienced.
There are plenty in this thread from the cold NE states who have zero problems.

I don't know about the 08s, but its likely that the problems are caused by bad factory/shop bleed or lack of maintenance (their brakes need bleeding). I've seen various brands with bad factory bleeds - its nothing new for hydraulic brakes. As far as the 08s, maybe Shimano had a bad batch with some part out spec - its not unheard of with bike parts.

I have no experience with the new Hayes but historically Shimano disc brakes are more reliable than Hayes.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I had my 06 Martas out the other day, and they performed well. A buddy of mine...some of you might recognize him...has some 970 XTRs that he took up to Arkansas last week. That was his first time to ride them in temps that low, and he had similar issues as me. His didn't get as bad as my XT, however.

Regardless, I don't think I'll be sticking with the Martas, either...the lever feel just isn't what I want. I think I'm just gonna say screw it and go back to Juicy 7s. They work, I know they work, and they're cheap.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
called up Shimano today wondering where my brakes were...was told that I am being shipped some new ones. Wish I knew what their conclusion was.