Quantcast

2009 Bike Choice......

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
:monkey:
Im tied up trying to decide what bike I should get. I've been researching as much as i can but both of these bikes are brand new if any one has ridden one or has opinions lend me hand.

1. Trek Session 88 DH v.s. 2. DW link Turner DHR :disgust1:

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
I don't have a DH Bike yet I just got a Scott Voltage for doing jumps here and there but i made the choice to switch from motocross to Down Hill after racing a DH race and riding a resorts here and there!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Don't get a DH bike in UT, get an FR bike. You need something you can pedal around here since DV = FAIL for DH and no other mountains really run their lifts. Unless you plan on traveling a bunch. Maybe you could build that 88 with an SC fork and a big cluster in the rear for climbing? My .02.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The three guys I've spoke to who have ridden the Trek have said it's at least as good as any bike they've ever ridden. One said it was the first DH bike they had ridden that was stuck to the ground like a V-10 but could be instantly popped like a light 6" bike.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
DW DHR, it's not yet avaiable, so if you want don't want to wait for ur dh bike, go for the trek.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I would agree with getting a FR bike. You can still ride DH on a freeride bike, but the geomeotry is going to be way better if you ever have to peddle.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i say keep the bike you got now, the prices of bikes has gotten retarded these past 2 years....

Keep the biek you got now, and upgrade the parts... cheapest way to go....

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
1. Pedaling is not worry so much that i want a free ride bike because im getting a bike to race.
2. Not to worry about the mtns i got my own trails cause i got connections to build on a mountain that is directly behind my house soooo.. trails are what ever i make of em... and im moving either to santa cruz CA or boulder CO in the late spring.....
3. I tried the old dhr i love it, infact i personally think its closest bike the resmbles the feel of a dirt bike that i have ridden.

Let me add im 5,8-5,9 ish and wiegh 133 lbs thats why im going with bikes that are light wieght but with geo that I like. I dont wan't a socom im afraid of breaking it and its H/A is steep.

And the canfield jedi ive looked into getting one but i haven't really heard anything about them nor how much they wieght. :imstupid:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
1) Don't get the trek. I don't have any experience with the new Session 88 but somebody that was shuttling with us recently just bought one of their split-pivot frames and didn't really like it. He had lots of bearing problems and failures and didn't feel like it was a premium quality bike.

2) I have ridden a DW-link bike for about a year and a half now and I like the way it rides, wait for the DHR to come out and check it out.

3) Wait for the new Evil DH bike to be shown. One of my friends is involved with the company and has been talking about it for a while now and that DW has a new suspension design that they are using that is supposed to be better than the DW-link. I haven't actually seen any designs but I've been hearing about it long enough that I'm starting to believe that it must be cool.

Good luck.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
And the canfield jedi ive looked into getting one but i haven't really heard anything about them nor how much they wieght. :imstupid:[/QUOTE]

My Jedi is 39 lbs...Super light, best race bike I have ever owned. Call Chris, he's super cool and will let you demo one. Hell...I live in Utah, you can ride mine. If you are looking for a DH bike that performs well, has great geo. and pedals great, look no further.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You're in Utah. Go over to go-ride. Pick their brains about what you want and where you'll be riding. They will help you narrow down options. Try out a couple of different bikes. Buy something that you can actually see, handle, ride beforehand. Don't buy something that is brand new to the market and no one has ever ridden and all you can read about is marketing brochures and the e-speculation of 14-year-olds.

I cannot say this enough times, but nothing is more important than fit and geometry on a modern bike. Nothing. And you cannot know how a bike fits or feels by looking at pictures or reading reviews, or what your personal geo preferences are.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
And the canfield jedi ive looked into getting one but i haven't really heard anything about them nor how much they wieght.
The weight is posted on their site and if you want feedback talk to Bullcrew. He loves his from what I got by buggering him on pm's ;)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The weight is posted on their site and if you want feedback talk to Bullcrew. He loves his from what I got by buggering him on pm's ;)
I rode a buddy's Jedi for about 1/3 of a run at whistler. It felt great... really tiny and flickable. Travel was super smooth. I'm a believer in a rearwards axle path. Rear tire clearance is a huge problem though. There are literally 3mms of clearance on the upper bridge of the rear triangle with any DH meats. You hear pee gravel get sucked in and grind/ping of the bridge as you ride, and the bike would be unusable in the mud or with an out of true wheel. I have no idea if Canfield is planning to modify the design. As the owner pointed out to me, out wouldn't be that difficult to move the bridge to below the pivot rather than tire-side of the pivot.

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
Thanks for all the help I have gone down to Go-Ride they are pretty much the best bike shop I've ever been to they know quite a bit, And plus they don't scam you they give you real answers and help you but yes the thing Im wondering is what is the HA Degree on the Jedi and thats the problem i was seeing with it is the mud thing im scared because i love riding in the wet.

And 1. Its quite about the bike im my opinion especially coming from racing motocross since i was 5 if you dont have bike thats comfortable you can't get very far you can't understand it but when you get the bike the feels to your needs it totally inspires confidence and can push you to do things you though you couldn't do. Yes skill is the main factor put if you dont have confidence in your machine you won't progress and I've witnessed this first hand growing up with my buddies.

Thanks again everyone. :happydance:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I rode a buddy's Jedi for about 1/3 of a run at whistler. It felt great... really tiny and flickable. Travel was super smooth. I'm a believer in a rearwards axle path. Rear tire clearance is a huge problem though. There are literally 3mms of clearance on the upper bridge of the rear triangle with any DH meats. You hear pee gravel get sucked in and grind/ping of the bridge as you ride, and the bike would be unusable in the mud or with an out of true wheel. I have no idea if Canfield is planning to modify the design. As the owner pointed out to me, out wouldn't be that difficult to move the bridge to below the pivot rather than tire-side of the pivot.
Flickable? In turns or vertical - ie. jumpy?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Flickable? In turns or vertical - ie. jumpy?
I only rode it for 1/3rd of a trail and a blue one at that, so grain of salt... I mean in turns and picking lines. It railed the turns and took me the first few to stop weighting the front as aggressive as I do on slacker bikes as I was getting to far out over the front. Really begged to be tossed around on the trail, versus plowing through by virtue of it's a short wheelbase, relatively steep head-angle (compared to say a Sunday), and was very light build. This particular one was running a vivid and a boxxer. I was also really impressed with the quality of the travel. Very controlled and smooth, but that may be a function of the shock. Felt like a lot of travel but didn't wallow.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Thanks for all the help I have gone down to Go-Ride they are pretty much the best bike shop I've ever been to they know quite a bit, And plus they don't scam you they give you real answers and help you but yes the thing Im wondering is what is the HA Degree on the Jedi and thats the problem i was seeing with it is the mud thing im scared because i love riding in the wet.
holy sentence batman!

It is important to have a local shop you can trust and go to for honest answers/feedback. I have dealt with Go-Ride a few times and have nothing but praise for them. You are def in good hands :)

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
And 1. Its quite about the bike im my opinion especially coming from racing motocross since i was 5 if you dont have bike thats comfortable you can't get very far you can't understand it but when you get the bike the feels to your needs it totally inspires confidence and can push you to do things you though you couldn't do. Yes skill is the main factor put if you dont have confidence in your machine you won't progress and I've witnessed this first hand growing up with my buddies.
Uh, yes and no. I think the point is that a good rider can do well on any good bike. Minaar on Honda and SC. Hill on IH or Spec.

It is about the bike if you are considering a WalMart bike versus a DHR. I don't think as a first DH bike that you would (or should) have more or less confidence on a DHR versus Trek.

There are plenty of good bikes out there that should inpsire confidence - don't limit yourself to two brand new designs. I'm guessing you would have to wait a while for a DHR too.