Quantcast

2009 bos fork&shock !!!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
pressurised cart's and non-pressurised cart's as in the Fox are completely different! i can assure you there is no "bladder" or "internal res" in any Fox fork that i know of...

Note: I will however consult my fork tomorrow for clarification :)
i realize they are different....you asked where the reservoir was, and then stated that they didn't exist....i stated that they do exist, and pointed out the difference between the reservoir in the BOS and the fox.......

here is a picture of the reservoir in the fox...if you look closely at the cutaway, you can see the black rubber bladder that i was speaking of which sits at atmospheric pressure

but anyway.......have fun putting it back together if you still think i'm wrong.....i'll warn you, it's not easy........

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
i realize they are different....you asked where the reservoir was, and then stated that they didn't exist....i stated that they do exist, and pointed out the difference between the reservoir in the BOS and the fox.......

here is a picture of the reservoir in the fox...if you look closely at the cutaway, you can see the black rubber bladder that i was speaking of which sits at atmospheric pressure

but anyway.......have fun putting it back together if you still think i'm wrong.....i'll warn you, it's not easy........
very interesting! i learned something this evening! thanks! ;)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
very interesting! i learned something this evening! thanks! ;)
yeah, if you search around on here, there are a few threads with some people bitching about how hard it is to get the bladder of the reservoir on and bleed the cartridge correctly without any air on it......so unless your badly in need of an oil change, i would go f'ing with it.......it's a total pain......

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
nice! pretty impressed with that post actually...

still doesn't make it a truly "charged" cart though, but i'll certainly give in on that one ;)

any reason for the bladder being at the bottom of the fork? and any purpose if its only at atmospheric pressure? seems pretty useless to me... i mean the only purpose i can understand it serves it to accommodate for oil displacement, it just seems like a half arsed attempt. i mean why not go the whole way and make the pressure adjustable?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
man, most people thought my whitebros. forks were retarded that had a reservoir on the outside...now these are getting praise ehe

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
anyone remember the Dorado that Kovarik rode way back with the external resi? old school is cool!

The original Dorado had a floating piston backed by an expandable foam material and later versions were spring loaded. All of this was internal of course, so unless you took the fork apart or bothered to read the technical manual you'd never know it was there. Any sealed, air-free cartridge needs to have an external or internal reservoir (or cartridge, etc) otherwise there would be no where for displaced oil to go when the piston is compressed.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
I know someone who has the rear Bos shock, says it's good, no better than a Fox DHX though. I have had a go on it, felt good, nothing special though. Hype in my opinion.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
The original Dorado had a floating piston backed by an expandable foam material and later versions were spring loaded. All of this was internal of course, so unless you took the fork apart or bothered to read the technical manual you'd never know it was there. Any sealed, air-free cartridge needs to have an external or internal reservoir (or cartridge, etc) otherwise there would be no where for displaced oil to go when the piston is compressed.
we all agree on this i'm sure, but some time ago Kovarik was on a Dorado that had an external resi, will try and dig up some pics in the morning and post 'em if i get lucky :)

on a side note: the foam backed dorado's were terrible! that was the first fix they had to make on the fork [if memory serves me correctly]

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
nice! pretty impressed with that post actually...

still doesn't make it a truly "charged" cart though, but i'll certainly give in on that one ;)

any reason for the bladder being at the bottom of the fork? and any purpose if its only at atmospheric pressure? seems pretty useless to me... i mean the only purpose i can understand it serves it to accommodate for oil displacement, it just seems like a half arsed attempt. i mean why not go the whole way and make the pressure adjustable?
i never said it was a charged cartridge...that's whats so promising about the BOS(the fact that the res is adjustable).....

yes, it's lame that the fox isn't adjustable, but like you said....it serves for oil expansion/displacement.....so the bladder is pretty much necessary due to the extremely low oil volume of the fox.....even though the fox is huge, it actually has less oil in it than a boxxer.....the rebound piston is about the size of a penny...

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
i never said it was a charged cartridge...that's whats so promising about the BOS(the fact that the res is adjustable).....

yes, it's lame that the fox isn't adjustable, but like you said....it serves for oil expansion/displacement.....so the bladder is pretty much necessary due to the extremely low oil volume of the fox.....even though the fox is huge, it actually has less oil in it than a boxxer.....the rebound piston is about the size of a penny...
hence the heat issues... :)

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
The OD of the piston is closer to the size of a dime, with the rebound sealing shim being even smaller than that. Kinda silly but those are some of the compromises that have to be made to try to make a 5 lb DH fork!
i wouldn't say fade, but i have had experience of the compression and rebound speeding up quite a bit when the fork gets warm from successive or longer runs. this is pretty easy to work around though. it could also be something that could be solved by using better suspension fluid, but then we are back on rebuilding carts... much easier just to ride the sucker and shut the hell up :)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Suspension Center in Switzerland makes an air adjustable 40 cartridge that changes everything. I have only ridden a couple days on it but it gets loads more traction and rides a bit higher in the travel. More oil too.

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
according to the BOS website...there is no US or north american importer for their forks. BOS will ship to you directly or you can get them from their UK dealer