Quantcast

2009 commencal supreme or specialized sx trail?

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
I'll be riding light dh like wisp but will sometimes go up to diablo. Which do you think is a better performing frame? I had a bottlerocket but it just wasn't the bike for me.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
We have a Commecal Meta 66 as a demo bike at Go-ride.com. It is the trail version of the Supreme Mini. The Meta 6 absolutely rips DH and is surprisingly a great climber. The geometry on the Meta 6 is actually slacker than in the catalog. Ours measures 66.5 degrees in the slackest HA setting and has a 13.4" BB height with a Lyric fork and Maxxis 2.35 tires. I'm thinking of build up a Supreme Mini for myself with a Hammerschmidt.

Drop me a PM if you want to know more about the Meta 6.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've been running a meta 6 all year, and can confirm what go-ride is saying about it ripping dh's and being an extremely agile climber....I use it for almost everything, including rides with significant amounts of climbing and I find it to be a very well balanced bike. It manages to allow for a slack head angle which makes it feel great on the steep tech descents, but the fore aft positioning is such that the front end stays pretty well planted on steep climbs with not much wandering around.....and when the trail turns down, look out, it hauls...this bike has exceeded my expectations by a fair amount, which is suprising in this day and age of lots of hype.....

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
thanks guys. I was looking at the commencal site and saw that the meta 6 and supreme have the same amount of travel. The supreme would be a burlier frame. Could the meta 6 stand up to some abuse.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
thanks guys. I was looking at the commencal site and saw that the meta 6 and supreme have the same amount of travel. The supreme would be a burlier frame. Could the meta 6 stand up to some abuse.
I'd go for the supreme if you're going to be riding it rather hard.....in the spring when I got mine I did about 55 rides on the 6 in 3 months....including bikepark action, it was that good on the downhills....but the frame doesn't appear to be able to handle sustained hard riding....the top tube cracked from one side of the top tube gusset right around to the other....mind you, I had a new frame within a month to BC from France, and since I stopped riding it regularly in the park and have stuck to pedalling it, it's been great.....it's not that the bike can't handle more tech dh style, I think the bikepark just puts an inordinate amount of stress on bikes in a very short time frame....

there are a bunch of pics and some video here http://www.dropmachine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31587 of what I spent the fall riding here in whistler, a new trail with a very steep, granny gear fireroad access...like face on stem steep with loose rock, probably an hour of hard climbing, followed by a steep rooty and loamy dh scattered with short traverses, climbs and then more fast dh....the builder was trying to prevent it from becoming a dh trail, and the 6 was designed perfectly for this style of riding, imo.....hope the info helps in your decision...

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I went from the SX to the Meta 4X and can say the Meta rips compared to the Specialized. Only 4" I know but I couldn't see why that wouldn't translate over to their 6" bikes.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
much like Flip and Go ride said, the meta 6 is a trail/enduro bike, it will slay DH descents after a long climb to get there, but this isn't a DH bike, its designed for people who love epic rides in the saddle, the Supreme and Supreme DH have heavier and thicker tube sets with larger gussets for long term abuse

much to the opposite of just about every company claiming they have the one "DO IT ALL" bike, it just doesn't exist....period

my suggestion for some light DH and trips to diablo is the 2009 Supreme 1 or 2, you can build it up pretty light, i rode a 33lb supreme this year for an afternoon, we did a 30 min climb and it was quite comfortable

JayCee

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
I ride a mini-DH (what the supreme used to be called). You will not find much to fault on this frame. I got stuck out in the prairies this summer so I was able to truly test this bikes ability to pedal. It can, its not what anyone would call fun, but it can be done, I think the longest ride I went on was approaching 4-5 hours. If you have the legs it can do it.

Now, I was fortunate enough to get this bike to BC this summer as well. I had some idea from a few of the trails around here that this bike would rip, but boy was I surprised. This bike rips, stays high enough in its travel in corners to allow some smoothing but still rails. Also felt very comfortable in the air. In the slack HA setting I never felt like I was falling over the front end riding really steep stuff.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
While I really like my SX Trail, the seat tube length makes it tough to climb. It feels more like a mini-DH bike. I haven't ridden the Commencal Supreme, but I have ridden the Supreme DH and I didn't like the tall feeling of the bike so much. It wasn't setup for me of course, so it's hard to say if that has any significance.

Personally if I were you I'd be looking at a Morewood Mbuzi or whatever they call their 6" bike. The customer service is great (which you won't really find w/ Commencal, as they're constantly switching US distros) and the bikes just work.

My .02

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
While I really like my SX Trail, the seat tube length makes it tough to climb. It feels more like a mini-DH bike. I haven't ridden the Commencal Supreme, but I have ridden the Supreme DH and I didn't like the tall feeling of the bike so much. It wasn't setup for me of course, so it's hard to say if that has any significance.

Personally if I were you I'd be looking at a Morewood Mbuzi or whatever they call their 6" bike. The customer service is great (which you won't really find w/ Commencal, as they're constantly switching US distros) and the bikes just work.

My .02
Commencal has only had 2 distributors in the USA

BTI has been the Commencal distributor for the last 2 yrs, they have a long term contact with Commencal and treat their customers great.

Please leave your e-speculation at home thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Commencal has only had 2 distributors in the USA

BTI has been the Commencal distributor for the last 2 yrs, they have a long term contact with Commencal and treat their customers great.

Please leave your e-speculation at home thanks
And how long has Commencal been in the US? Just seems to me that it's not a very established brand here, but maybe I'm wrong.

I wasn't trying to slam the brand as I do like the bikes, but compared to Morewood or Turner who have a VERY good rep with locations in the US, or Specialized, Commencal's availability would be a concern to me. Especially after reading Rockwool's (I believe) posts...

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
Commencal's being hard to get? last year yes. but now you can get any bike, or frame within a few days from BTI or the various shops such as go-ride.com

Never heard any owner complain of the ride! Ready to ride out of the box! All the problems commencal may have had last year have since been worked out and they are up to par as far as distribution and service. don't believe me? ask a rider for yourself. as they say "the proof is in the pudding."