Quantcast

2009 Cove Shocker

Jan 10, 2009
Looking to get a new rig this year and was wondering if there is any feedback on the Cove shocker. Rode a Demo 8 last year any comparisons on ride. quality of frame etc would be appreciated.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Can you tell us a bit about your riding style? Are you more into jumps, freeride or full on DH racing?Do you like to plow your way down or are you more of a pumping, techy rider?

Im sure you already know the basic differences between the Cove versus the Demo and Im guessing you want some real inputs from people who's actually spent some time on a Shocker.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Talk to zark. I'm not sure if he's still on a shocker, he might be on an m6 now? Anyway he had a couple years on a shocker I believe and has written some informative stuff.

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Decline review here.....

http://www.covebike.com/press/reviews.html#press_1

I have ridden a shocker for 2 seasons and love it. The Geo is great for what i ride (some may like a lower BB but i think its about right at 14.5) and the dual link system seems to have a bit more feel than say a V10.

Ive only done a few corners on a demo so i cant really compare much.

Size wise the shocker runs a bit small. Im 6 ft 2 and rode a medium for a year but have since gone to a large which is good.

Durabiltiy is awesome as they are pretty burly, around 11 1/2 to 12 ponds for frame and shock with steel spring.

Do a search for zarks notes as well. Silverfish UK has a section of reviews also.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
The shocker is a fantastic bike, for all the reasons stated above really. My only niggle is that it does feel a bit heavy sometimes when I'm doing tighter/more technical sections and can't quiet manouvere/pop the bike the way I want to, but that's probably more down to my spec than anything else (she could definitely go on a diet).

The geo is absolutely awesome for an all-round racing bike. Of course you can always make cockpit changes too if you feel the need on a particular track, but I've found it's always been fine for whatever I'm racing on.

The one upgrade that made the difference for me was getting the stock dhx 5.0 PUSH tuned. The difference was absolutely phenomenal.

I can't comment on the demo as I've never owned one.

Jan 10, 2009
Riding style tends to be all out, drifting, go for it, radical pinner style. Would the cove shocker live up to this expectation??

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Flat out pretty much defines the Shocker ride style. Not the lightest frame, not the most travel either. It turns great, works well in a wide variety of terrains, that bike absolutly loves steep sections. I'll be riding mine throughout 2009, I was going to get an M6, but got laid off and can't afford it anymore :( Oh well, just have to ride the bitchen bike I already have!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I rode a shocker for a couple of runs at Windrock last year and it was fantastic, definitely an awesome race rig. A lot of people think the BB looks a little high on paper, but as soon as you sit on one with a correctly set up rear shock the sag drops the BB a good bit and slackens HT angle. I would love to own one but they are big bucks and there aren't enough used ones on the market.

is the 09 any different from the last couple of years?

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
What you should really note, if you are a big pal, the large frame looks quite strange with this gusset to the seattube. And it has a steeper headangle what I found quit stange and so didn't buy it. If you are after M or S it is a must have bike...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Anyone know if they are doing a proper weld on the main frame shock plates now?

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
What you should really note, if you are a big pal, the large frame looks quite strange with this gusset to the seattube. And it has a steeper headangle what I found quit stange and so didn't buy it. If you are after M or S it is a must have bike...
Could you explain this a little further?
Maybe a picture or two to explain would help.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Anyone know if they are doing a proper weld on the main frame shock plates now?
Yep. I got an 09 frame and there are welds extending up the frame from the mounting plates. I guess it just adds a little beef to keep it from cracking. BTW, the Quaility is unreal, machining is realy nice and the welds are some of the best I have seen on a bike.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
ive been looking at coves too. has anyone found a component list or somewhere to look at prices?
I havent ridden one, so I had no feedback, but if you get one, let me know how you like it.!

big dan

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
the large has the same headangle...the website has an error in the geo chart.