Quantcast

2009 DeeMax

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
1000$ gets u I9 ,2 sets of add lite (same whight) ,2 sets of the new deetraks (only 100g more)
or any kind of handbuilt wheelset with better hubs.

lame !

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Spokes can't escape from the hub slots anymore. So that is fixed. New freehub system, although if it's as ghastly as the one on my current 150mm DeeMax wheel (different from the 135mm version) then I am not impressed.

But seriously, the price increase is breathtaking! They cost almost twice as much now. Not surprising, really, since the dollar is so weak. And at least you get a significantly better wheel with the price increase. And really, it's going to be somewhat tough to beat the new weight with a wheel built with 823s...

But yeah, it makes I9s look cheap.

JMH

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
But seriously, the price increase is breathtaking! They cost almost twice as much now.
They are currently $799.99. So assuming there were no changes to the wheelset and accounting for the price increases coming on pretty much all bikes/components next year, they would be around $960. Considering they are completely redesigned and look to be heaps better, that puts the new price a bit more in perspective.

Peeps, bike stuff is going to be real expensive soon.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
They are currently $799.99. So assuming there were no changes to the wheelset and accounting for the price increases coming on pretty much all bikes/components next year, they would be around $960. Considering they are completely redesigned and look to be heaps better, that puts the new price a bit more in perspective.

Peeps, bike stuff is going to be real expensive soon.
I disagree, everything, wheter bike product or car, gets improved when a new generation is launched. The price normally rises with it a bit, but a 25% rise is rediculous, greedy, and plain wrong. On top of that, they use normal spokes now FFS. They're a whole lot cheaper.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I disagree, everything, wheter bike product or car, gets improved when a new generation is launched. The price normally rises with it a bit, but a 25% rise is rediculous, greedy, and plain wrong. On top of that, they use normal spokes now FFS. They're a whole lot cheaper.
My point was that they would be going up roughly 20% without the re-design.

Pelo is right - you will see next year.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
$1000 does seem pretty steep but... looks like they did a TON of CNC/milling on the outside of the 09' DeeMax rims, so I'm guessing the new pricing is inclusive of this. It also seems like 90% of the parts used to make these wheels have either been tweaked or redesigned, so that is going to carry over into the pricing of the product as well. Add to that the the cost of raw materials, and the rising price of oil... it starts to add up after a while...

...and if you guys think THIS is expensive for 09' gear, you're REALLY not gonna like the cost of bikes in 09'... :hmm:

Last edited:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
^Raw material prices have been going up for a while.
Yeh, so a big ass truck made out of a ship load of steel, and that today costs about 2-300.000€, is then of course going to have a similar price increase of 50-100.000€? Thought you told me that you passed your economics class. :bonk:

Your eminent mr dr proffessor would be very disapointed in you now. You're not quite representative for "the elite of the country", that he was oraly scating about. ;)

My point was that they would be going up roughly 20% without the re-design.

Pelo is right - you will see next year.
Pelo drinks more wiskey and limps more than Zeb Macahan. And he shared his bottle with you. Have a good recovery. :cheers:

It's all about greed. It's just that our dollar is worth **** these days. The dollar lost 15% to the euro this year alone
I agree with you fully, it's the fundamental thing of every capitalist society. And the dollar has a good piece in that 25% increase figure. Some 15-20% of that $200, to be more exact.

$1000 does seem pretty steep but... looks like they did a TON of CNC/milling on the outside of the 09' DeeMax rims, so I'm guessing the new pricing is inclusive of this. It also seems like 90% of the parts used to make these wheels have either been tweaked or redesigned, so that is going to carry over into the pricing of the product as well. Add to that the the cost of raw materials, and the rising price of oil... it starts to add up after a while...

...and if you guys think THIS is expensive for 09' gear, you're REALLY not gonna like the cost of bikes in 09'... :hmm:
True, the milling is a lot of job. The finance for tweaking/redesigning/improving a product, comes from the profits that their old products made. Only the exceeding part of the manufacturing cost, between the old and the new wheel, is put on that 25% increase.

The rising price of metals, sure, but with how much? We're talking about 2.2kg here. Extra oil for transports of those 2.2kg is in cents, not Euros.

Of course, these are my beliefs and I could be wrong. Time will tell, and a part of me hopes that you are right. Then a 2.2ton SUV will cost like a MF in a few months, yehaaa! :cowboyhatinair: :heelclicks: :emptymaginair:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Hahaha...
Well, I talked to earth yesterday. He said he´s running out on material. And the stupid f**s on his face have a system of sharing things called "money".

mrobson71

Chimp
Oct 2, 2008
After riding with yellow wheels for the last 3 years I'm glad they are silver now. Just picked up a new set (150mm rear) for $680 from chainreactioncycles.com.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
and i can still get a 823 for $70 and a hadley for $300.
Face it, they're jacking the price because they know plenty of people will buy the name.

Your math sucks. Retail on a Hadley set is ~$450. 823s are $95ea. Consider that the Deemax uses a machined 823 that you can't buy. $100 retail for nice spokes.
That's $740 not including labor.

I'd prefer the conventional wheel myself as well cause I don't think Mavic hubs are worth their weight in scrap but the retail price doesn't seem out of line with everything else on the market right now.
Have you seen the new Fulcrum stuff? Now that is silly.

guitarhero

Chimp
Nov 1, 2005
Scotland
I managed to score a new pair on ebay for a good price, and they are really nice in the flesh (so to speak). Saved a pound of rotating weight compared to my old King/823's, engagement feels as good as the King.
Plus they match the session 88 soooo well............

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I managed to score a new pair on ebay for a good price, and they are really nice in the flesh (so to speak). Saved a pound of rotating weight compared to my old King/823's, engagement feels as good as the King.
Plus they match the session 88 soooo well............
Man, that is soo sexy you must have a hard time not ending every ride with a DP and a massive facial.