Quantcast

2009 Devinci Wilson build

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers davep. My basic understanding was that horst helps with braking and with pedalling, so so long as that's part right I'm happy. I used to have a proper floating brake on my 222 and LOVED it, so if a Horst goes even a part way to achieving that then it's all good. Hopefully it won't bob like a bitch, or require a full compliment of pro-pedal not to.

Leaving in an hour, 3 days on the bike, bring it! :D

Starbury

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
Very nice bike.

I had a Wilson in '07 and loved the ride. At 1.5lbs lighter I can only imagine how funn it would be...guess the days of 35lb DH bikes with reasonable builds are here.

Interested to see how the wheeset holds up. Those ZTR rims are pinner. Pls keep us posted.

Enjoy the ride!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well, I instantly liked it. I'd intentionally not ridden it at all until I got to a DH track - I wanted the full impact on my first run, with no preconceptions from a "carpark" test.

Possibly doesn't pedal QUITE as well as my DHi, but it's certainly no slouch. DEFINITELY is more active over rough stuff, and as my DHi had seen better days (very loose chain device bushings etc) it was a very pleasant surprise to have a SILENT ride :-) My friend had a brand new 224 on the same day and he wasn't getting on with it at all, but more to the point that thing was NOIIIIISSY!

So, all good really. As someone said in a thread on here somewhere, there was nothing about it (other than plushness, but the semi-URT DHi was never going to win that battle) that made me go "wow", but it just felt right. I'd wager I was at 95% of my normal pace before I got to the end of my first DH run, if not quicker! Oh, and it appeared to manual fine despite being 10-15mm longer CS than my DHi.

Seat is a bit far forwards, so I'm going to need to buy a layback post for it. Maybe I should have gone for a large, but then who ever sits down really? Oh and I don't recommend an SLR saddle for DH, bruised the insides of my thighs like crazy due to its sharp edges.

That aside, I am happy :)

PS sorry for lack of a more technical/quantitative analysis - I'm really not the person to talk about such things, I've no idea - I just know what I like and what I don't!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmm, my current setup is 270g (about 300 uncut iirc). Also I've snapped an ibeam saddle before, wasn't impressed. They're super-uncomfortable too due to having no flex in the rails like a normal saddle. Cheers for the recommendation though.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
You're not trying to say a SLR saddle is more comfortable than a bel air i-beam saddle, are you. From my limited experience, the padding does the job very well. I understand the possible issues of running an i-beam setup, and will always carry a spare traditional post-saddle combo just in case something breaks. How did you manage to snap the saddle, was it in a crash?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not a crash, just blew my feet off the pedals through a rough section and bounced all my weight on the end of the saddle.

FWIW the SLR is actually very comfortable for sitting/riding on. Just not so much when it's rubbing on my legs DHing.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
she's a beauty seb... nice work...

my updated 08 frame attached...

not as light but more than fine for me...

where'd you get the superstar pedals?

Attachments

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
seb... how's your modified cable routing working out?

On my '06 I routed the cables along the downtube and chaintays. Shifter cable under the pivot, brake hose zip-tied outside. Doesn't rub anywhere and stays out of the way. Would be nice if they were designed that way.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Tis good ja :) Not put the brake hose in yet.

What I have discovered is that my paintjob on the toptube is ruined after one run. My old bike was like this too but i thought that was just from years of wear, I realise now it's from my (fox launch) kneepads - the straps are pretty abrasive and have done a great job of giving it that not-new-anymore-look already :D

I'm dead against being a tart with helicopter tape, give me the battered look any day, so I don't really mind!

It's weird seing race photos of myself on something other than my DHi, after so many (5!) years on it!

(Flickr: Page Not Found@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4920096526_a6abf844a6_s.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4920096526@@AMEPARAM@@a6abf844a6)

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I was thinking of buying a frame. so I remember that a good friend of my had this bike for a year till he crashed and broke the frame... (it happen on a DH vacation in morazine)
so I asked if I can try it for a weekend... (thinking he already have a new frame)
so he told me ... he don't own this bike any more...
the company don't want to warranty it.. they say that they don't warranty crashes.

this sounds funny to me. so what do they warranty?
its a DH bike!.
do you supposed to XC with it??

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Warrenties are for manufacturing defects, not wipe-outs. Devinci had pretty good crash replacement pricing on the former (04-07) Wilsons, imagine the new ones are about the same. Where did his end up breaking?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
he break the rear triangle.
not sure exactly where.
other companies give you free frame when you break one.
(sorry for my English)