Quantcast

2009 Eastern Trail Digger 26 inch

blackarmy

Chimp
Jun 6, 2009
Hey Guys, I used the search bar and nothing came up for this bike so I thought I would start a thread. Any body have experience with this bike? Im very close to ordering it and cant wait to get it. But I want some more info. www.bikeman.com has it for 413.00. Thats the best deal I could find.

Im gonna use it for street/ skate park/ trails. And I hope to eventually put bombers on it.

How does this plan look to you guys?

Thanks,
Mike

blackarmy

Chimp
Jun 6, 2009
By bombers, I assume you mean a suspension fork? If that's the case I would not do that. That bike is designed around a rigid fork and throwing a suspension fork on there could be shady...
Yep, Thats what I mean.

See thats why I ask questions, cause I get answers I need :biggrin::biggrin:

I think if I go suspension fork im gonna get a Doberman mollose frame. Im just getting this bike to make sure I like 26 inch. Then upgrade from there. Best part about this hobby versus my other expensive hobby is how much parts interchange. So nice :biggrin:

Thanks!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The stock fork isn't very tall, so go with a short travel or lowered fork to maintain the geometry. It looks pretty steep stock, so you have a little room to modify it without the front end being raked out badly. Looks like a great little started bike though. Try it stock first, you might like the rigid for it's weight.

JayBear

Monkey
You can get a 357 complete from Blk Market for less then a thousand complete..You would have to do nothing to it and Ride it for years....As for the Eastern... You get what you pay for..Ive seen Many broken Eastern parts... Just my opinion.. Quality Mountain Bikes That will last are not cheap..Street and Djs Beat bikes up..especially if your learning and casing..I have an stp, that I like, But after riding the riot( same geo as the Mob and 357) I see what all the hype is about..Its just meant to be Jumped..Feels great..

blackarmy

Chimp
Jun 6, 2009
Something to me sounds fun about up grading bad parts as they come along. Different frame, forks, and such things seems like a fun project.

Thanks for all the input guys!

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Yep, Thats what I mean.

See thats why I ask questions, cause I get answers I need :biggrin::biggrin:

I think if I go suspension fork im gonna get a Doberman mollose frame. Im just getting this bike to make sure I like 26 inch. Then upgrade from there. Best part about this hobby versus my other expensive hobby is how much parts interchange. So nice :biggrin:

Thanks!
I would not go with the DOB Molosse in a 26". The 110mm spacing with long spokes does not really make for a strong wheel. I would do the 24" molosse or if you want a 26" get the Pinscher.
As For the BLKMKRT bikes they all have the same geo its the quality of steel and in the completes the quality of parts, they are all stable bikes especially with an 80mm fork on them.

Aug 16, 2008
I have experience on the 08' model of the Traildigger and I will say that I regret ever buying it. The head angles are steep and I find that my feet hit the front wheel quite often. I feel that I'm a pretty averaged sized guy (5'11'' and I wear a size 14 shoe). If I could do it over again I would buy a Nighttrain or the Thunderbird.

Jun 25, 2007
Canada
If I could do it over again I would buy a Nighttrain or the Thunderbird.
I'm certain the 2009s basically are based on the 2008 design. So, this means the only 4130 chro-mo your going to get is on the downtube. Either way, $360 sounds good for a complete, but Eastern intended this bike for cruising around town. I'd seriously look around a few web retailers and see what fits your budget.

Google: atomlab, ns bikes, superco, fireeye, bears, blk mrkt, specialized, norco, doberman, union street, geekhouse, transition, duncon, mongoose, brooklyn, last, kona, spank, gt, 24seven, npj, and commencal for starters... Some are better than others, but all are essentially good bikes to own.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hey Guys, I used the search bar and nothing came up for this bike so I thought I would start a thread. Any body have experience with this bike? Im very close to ordering it and cant wait to get it. But I want some more info. www.bikeman.com has it for 413.00. Thats the best deal I could find.

Im gonna use it for street/ skate park/ trails. And I hope to eventually put bombers on it.

How does this plan look to you guys?

Thanks,
Mike
first off, even though a lot of people are doing it, i don't see 26" as optimal for street and park--it's still fun, but it just depends what you want to be doing.....20"s and 24"s spin 180s and 360's easier, easier for tailwhips, and you can run pegs and grind..... if you want a bmx cruiser 24", check out the FIT 24", Mirraco 24", and We The People "Avenue", Giant Method 24". those would be better on street and park because if you want suspension option, go with mtbmx 24" like DMR, Union Street 'Molly', Tonic 'Fall Guy.'

as far as the Eastern Traildigger 26".... I agree with Tyler. The head angle is weirdly steep for a 26" and the front wheel will hit your foot in certain positions--and I don't mean during x-ups or barspins, I'm talking about during normal riding. (I wear 13's). So the first time I test rode it in a parking lot I didn't like it at all.... The bottom bracket felt super high and the handlebars felt super low (about 2" rise).

.... BUT, that said, a dude at our trails got one, and the other riders checked it out and generally liked it. i guess once you get past the foot/tire issue, it's a pretty snappy 26" bmx. i had some extra 5" rise DK stock cruiser bars that i gave him and they were way better on there than the 2" rise Eastern bars.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2008
If your really wanting a Traildigger I will gladly sell you mine. PM me if your really interested. Its Dreamsicle Orange in color.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I don't frankly like them that much, and it will make you not like a 26" hardtail as much. I have a 2008 eastern night train. It is awesome. So easy to manual, so easy to jump, it is the best hardtail I have ever owned, and for some odd reason, and I can't figure it out, everyone and myself included thinks it feels a lot more solid and a little lower than bikes like stp's or specialized p's.

I would say go night train or if your really on a budget, go for a thunderbird.