Quantcast

2009 Mini DH/All Mountain Frame Comparison

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I put together a comparison table of mini-dh/all mountain frame geometries from manufacturers data plus some extrapolated data (like standing reach). The list is here - Bike Geometry Formulas. All the frames listed are size medium.

This is somewhat of a crosspost from this thread - http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217957

The original post describes how to use the sheet for comparison purposes.

Frames included are -

Specialized SX Trail
GT Sanction
Trek Remedy
Intense SS
Kona Coilair
Knolly Delerium T
Rocky Mountain Slayer SS
Cannondale Moto
Transition Bottlerocket
Yeti ASR 7
Norco Six
Mongoose Khyber
Morewood Zuza (Large)
Morewood Mbuzi
Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC
Foes 2:1 FXR
Nicolai Helius AM
Nicolai Helius FR
Giant Reign X
Banshee Rune
Ventana El Terremoto
Santa Cruz Nomad
Commencal Meta 6
Chumba EVO
Diamondback Scapegoat
Jamis Dakar XAM

Last edited:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Might want to add the Banshee Wildcard as well since you've got slopestyle bikes like the BottleRocket. I'd think the Wildcard is more of a mini-DH than the Rune, my wife used to ride a BottleRocket and now she's on the Rune and the BR was much more of a mini-DH where the Rune is definitely a climber with a good amount of travel.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
In the market something new, that geo templete is super useful.
Fully half of those frames are off the list already - or more maybe? - but thanks for the template.

Why no uzzi vp? Seems a clear choice to be there.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I made this sheet back in May. Some bikes may not have had geo charts available then, some I may have just missed for one reason or another. The main point was to make the sheet and it's formulas available so people could use them for their own research. Feel free to download, add bikes and then post back up to share with everyone else.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Nice...

I have a Trek Remedy. The CS length is 17.25", not 16.5... at least on my large frame. I'd be willing to bet the med. uses the same rear triangle though. This will also have a large impact on front - center measurements. I know the geo charts say 16.5, I have no idea why its so far off from reality???

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Nice...

I have a Trek Remedy. The CS length is 17.25", not 16.5... at least on my large frame. I'd be willing to bet the med. uses the same rear triangle though. This will also have a large impact on front - center measurements. I know the geo charts say 16.5, I have no idea why its so far off from reality???
Are you dropping down from the BB to a horizontal plane between the axles before you measure, or are you measuring straight from BB to rear axle?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Are you dropping down from the BB to a horizontal plane between the axles before you measure, or are you measuring straight from BB to rear axle?
straight from bb to rear axle...

Assuming there's a 1" bb rise, the horizontal measurement is only .03" less (17.22"), and my quick tape-measure measurement is going to be off by a bit more than that anyhow...;)

If anyone is considering a bike in this list, the Remedy is changing to a Fox 32 for 2010. I'd get an '09 while you can unless a 170/170mm bike appeals to you, which would be the 2010 Trek Scratch. The current Remedy is an awesome bike.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
straight from bb to rear axle...

Assuming there's a 1" bb rise, the horizontal measurement is only .03" less (17.22"), and my quick tape-measure measurement is going to be off by a bit more than that anyhow...;)

If anyone is considering a bike in this list, the Remedy is changing to a Fox 32 for 2010. I'd get an '09 while you can unless a 170/170mm bike appeals to you, which would be the 2010 Trek Scratch. The current Remedy is an awesome bike.
Anyone find Scratch geo and $ sneaking out anywhere? Or how they are going about adjustable geometry?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Anyone find Scratch geo and $ sneaking out anywhere? Or how they are going about adjustable geometry?
Yeah, there's a little bit of geo & $$$ in this article:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/trek-2010-freeride-jumping-gary-fisher-cyclo-cross-womens-22774

"Up top, the forged upper link features a pair of reversible 'Mino Links' that will allow users to select between a 66.5° head tube angle and 14.4" bottom bracket height or a slightly slacker and more stable 66° head tube angle and 14.1" height."