Quantcast

2009 Monster Energy - Specialized Team Bikes

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I just got one of those cameras and haven't had a chance to test it out yet but I had a feeling I would need to shim the chest mount a bit for DH riding. I did a test shot sitting on the seat and it was perfect, but it's going to point down too much when i actually ride. Fraser's vid pretty much confirms it.

i can watch the go pro vids on my point and shoot camera so that should help with on-trail review and adjustment.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
This is a large part of it ya, I have to shim up the chest harness to make it sit right.

Also, it looks like crap as I had to overcompress it to get it online, the connection here sucks and it barely got a 27mb file up. Hopefully the press center will be better than the pay internet.
so with some dialing in it should be great. If you used a helmet mount, I guess someone could look through the viewfinder to check the aiming right?

The quality seems pretty good (especially the examples on the website) I like that it's tiny and fairly well protected. I might have to pick one up.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
This is a large part of it ya, I have to shim up the chest harness to make it sit right.

Also, it looks like crap as I had to overcompress it to get it online, the connection here sucks and it barely got a 27mb file up. Hopefully the press center will be better than the pay internet.
Hey Fraser, I was messing around with my chest harness tonight and found I could angle to camera up way more if I attached it to the 2-way articulating arm first and then to the chest mount rather than mounting it direct.

You can use the cupboard door on the far wall for reference. first pic is taken with the stock setup and me standing fairly upright. second pic is with the modified mount to get a bit more upward angle and me in what i'd consider a more of a dh riding position. third pic is with the camera angled up as far as i could get it and my chest pretty much parallel to the floor. that should be plenty of adjustment to get it dialed in.

$BMFB$

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
thats a mighty small cassette on there:

whats that thing over the derailleur? thru axle and derailleur protector?
specialized calls it a "deraileur hanger saver" but it mostly just breaks your $250 deraileur intead of your $15 d/h.

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
whats that thing over the derailleur? thru axle and derailleur protector?
This is our Hanger Protector. Canadians like to call it the Hanger Banger. We came out with it on the first Demo - before tougher Saint existed.

It comes stock on all Demos, Big Hits and SX Trails.

It does a great job of keeping the derailleur attached and straight through rock gardens.

Jason C

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You can use the cupboard door on the far wall for reference. first pic is taken with the stock setup and me standing fairly upright. second pic is with the modified mount to get a bit more upward angle and me in what i'd consider a more of a dh riding position. third pic is with the camera angled up as far as i could get it and my chest pretty much parallel to the floor. that should be plenty of adjustment to get it dialed in.
jesus, it looks like you have roid rage arms

specialized calls it a "deraileur hanger saver" but it mostly just breaks your $250 deraileur intead of your $15 d/h.
awesome idea

This is our Hanger Protector. Canadians like to call it the Hanger Banger. We came out with it on the first Demo - before tougher Saint existed.

It comes stock on all Demos, Big Hits and SX Trails.

It does a great job of keeping the derailleur attached and straight through rock gardens.

Jason C
nice job with the marketing :clapping:

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
only 20 times, huh....

do you live under a rock... or maybe you are blind. you did after all just call me richard and it clearly says my name is dave.
I think the intended use was the short version of richard there Mr. Dick! LMAO, Not hamering you there D I thought it was kind of funny the way he did that... Ill have to remember that.

Ehhh either way I agrea that its been atleast 1000 times the sharpie sponsorship has been mentioned. Theres been countless on the syndicate.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Fraser,

When shooting these bike product shots, did you use a flash to cast the rim light or is that just natural light?

The shots look nice.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Looks like one flash behind the rear wheel and one softbox behind Fraser.

yeah, you're right about the one flash left of the rear wheel. you can see the shadow of the pedal on the front tire.

looks like an over cast day, no shadows. so maybe that was enough fill to not require the soft box, and he just balanced it with the kicker?

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
The original "Sam's race bike" photo had 2350s, the heavier wheelset from DT Swiss. The pic from Dirt shows that he's running the 1750s that he had been running last year (at least for this course)...
i'm pretty sure riders sponsored by DT switch between 2350 and 1750 depending on course.
they prob threw on the red 2350's for the shoot just to bring out the red in the bike.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i can't believe he's still running 3 rotor bolts. do you think he could feel the difference, if someone were to put the rest of the bolts back on?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
That's just to make it easier/quicker for the pit mechanic's to change out rotors...
Yup. Most of the time when they swap wet/dry/different tires over in practice they're already mounted on a set of wheels, but they will often swap the dics from wheel to wheel in the proccess. less bolts less time wasted undoing them. 3 ti bolts are more than strong enough.

People seriously still think this is done to save weight?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Yup. Most of the time when they swap wet/dry/different tires over in practice they're already mounted on a set of wheels, but they will often swap the dics from wheel to wheel in the proccess. less bolts less time wasted undoing them. 3 ti bolts are more than strong enough.

People seriously still think this is done to save weight?
Woah they have sharpied tires too! :twitch: