Quantcast

2009 morewood makulu !

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Bos suspension,As you could say is as close to works you can get.
When you buy a shock/forks,They set it up for you.
What bike,Riding style,Weight.
Everything.
I for one am going to go down that route.
Just not on a morewood thought.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
its suspension is also active under pedaling including great small bump performance but has ZERO pedal bob:)
Don't you know every new upcoming bike does this? Seriously, it's only after you repair the huge dent in your pocketbook and the new shine wears off that a review is worth a sh1t.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Really? I would have guessed Ohlins TTX technology (Cane Creek DB) is far beyond any company currently on the bike market. :think:
Well Ohlins is probably on similar level to bos but still you don't see them putting so much time for biking products. They made the CCDB for CC and that's it while BOS is custom tuned. Olivier Bossard ditched the MTB market when Nico left as he said that they couln't find a test rider that's has enough tech awareness and feel(I know that most of this is marketing mumbo jumbo but they seem to care more about their mtb products than Ohlins). Plus there is no Ohlins fork for now ;) That would kick ass though.

Bull I'm also quite fed up with this no pedal bob crap. Actualy I don't mind some of it as long as the susp is stable at turns and under breaking while remaining plush and subtle. From what ppl owning the old bos rear say it was like that.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Yeah. Considering that for example commencal with rocco RC is 2500 eur stock. Bos shock is more expensive so it would make it like 2700-2800. That leaves 1200eur for the shock that is stock 2000eur.
The Supreme DH frame only is 2100 euros, not 2500, plus it includes an LG1 E13 guide plus a sun ringle rear 12x150 hub.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The Supreme DH frame only is 2100 euros, not 2500, plus it includes an LG1 E13 guide plus a sun ringle rear 12x150 hub.
I'm talking about market price not the price that some shops can give you as 4k euro is the market price for this frame.

Also with fox the frame is cheaper than with rocco. 2300 if I'm not wrong. From what I saw no rear hub and guide.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i can't really see why everyone is going mad about the price. Its similar money to a foes with curnut and foes forks. Only down side i can see is it might be on the heavy side as the boss forks are a bit heavy. So for those of you who are big morewood fans beacuse your a light weight freak you might be a bit dissapointed.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i can't really see why everyone is going mad about the price. Its similar money to a foes with curnut and foes forks. Only down side i can see is it might be on the heavy side as the boss forks are a bit heavy. So for those of you who are big morewood fans beacuse your a light weight freak you might be a bit dissapointed.
You have any info on their weight? Tell us fast ;)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If you have grass roots sponsorship from morewood do they require that you use their logo as an avatar?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's not that bad. Boxxers will be heavier with new stanctions, marz 08 is much more. 3,65 is around the travis weight.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
You have any info on their weight? Tell us fast ;)
I haven't got any info on the weights just after a conversation with the uk distriubtor he said the forks where a bit on the heavy side compared to a boxxer world cup so im guessing 7-7.5lbs.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i emailed morewood, here's the deal. 40 units are being produced by the end of this year, but the US release next year will likely include a double barrel and i'm guessing no fork, and be "far less than $6000".

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
About the Bos-CCDB part. And who is superior in their technology.

Bos also has a twin tube damper for motorcycle road racing, http://www.bos-engineering.com/boutique/boutique013.html But apparently they choose not to use this for mtbs.

I have a ccdb and bos, going to test them both in france this week. But at this point I have the idea that with the ccdb I was at the end of the tuning range. But with the Bos I have a good setup and still have lots of tuning range left, this is because of the custom tuning.

I would definitely buy a bike that is equiped with bos stuff. It probably is a bit cheaper for europeans.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Well it's not the frame that makes it so special but your weak ass currency. In europe the price is pretty much normal.
Also BOS is the company behind EVO and WRC Citroen suspension so this makes it kinda special. They have tech far beyond any company currently on the bike market.
ummm.. no.

Fox is in blah blah, Progressive on ATV's, blah blah blah - Showa, Kowa, Blowya -- blaaaaaaaaaaaaah hype, blaah blah new jack with no specific history or experience... blah

they can all call accolades, but when the hype dies down, they are just another player - wait for it....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ummm.. no.

Fox is in blah blah, Progressive on ATV's, blah blah blah - Showa, Kowa, Blowya -- blaaaaaaaaaaaaah hype, blaah blah new jack with no specific history or experience... blah

they can all call accolades, but when the hype dies down, they are just another player - wait for it....

Huck - some ppl own their previous rear shock model and fork kits and say different. Plus they were quite innovative in the Nico times.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
ummm.. no.

If you only knew what you are talking about...!

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
i was at the factory last week and had a look over all the new bikes for 2009, 3 new bikes will be added to the morewood stable. a hard tail dj bike(sick!!!), a slope style bike and the makulu dh rig. they all amazing. Pat was trying to work out a way to seal already sealed bearings off from you lot that love your pressure washers when i was there;) the makulu looks amazing in person and the new top tubes on the 09 bikes make a huge difference. in person it is beautiful. a 2.3:1 leverage ratio and resultant super long shock is shweet. will also come with a rear mudguard/fender to try keep muck out of the linkage. sa-weet! oh, and did i say it was sweet?

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Here in germany some people allready ride the new BOS products.
From what I heard,the shock is working really well and in it´s performance signifivantly better than a "standard" shock.

It is another story with the fork.To me it feels much like a Fox 40.
Maybe without causing heat problems after long DH-runs.
Those who ride it, all report that it is a very good fork,but nobody said that it is that much better than the standard forks,boxxer or 888.
To me it felt good,but really not worth the hype.It is another thing with the shock.I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
That color and graphics of the green '09 Izimu reminds me of my '85 Haro Master.:brows: ( I wish I still owned that bike).

toby

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
holy **** these bikes are looking good...the zuza confuses me a little, but the hardtail looks tight and that makulu....

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
nice the makulu looks sweet and the price without the boss fork seems ok. Loving the new mbuzi

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
So the new Zuza has more SS geometry? Or is it do-it-all bike like spec sx trail?

And by the way. We know what Izimu, Shova and Mbuzi mean. What the hell is Zuza?:D
from pats mouth, the Zuza is a designed as an SS bike. their do it all bike is the mbuzi. just a recap:
Shova-Pedal
Izimu-Cannibal
Mbuzi-Goat
Makulu-Big or a person older than you, ie. a person you respect and look up to. I used to call my grand father "kulu" which is derived from makulu.
Zuza-Win
Enza-perform, do, act are all meaning. but it is most commnly used as "do"

So there will be both the Izimu and the Makulu in the line this year? Weird, if true.
yep, they keeping both. i think maybe to keep a lower price, cheaper alternative that still rides almost as good as the Makulu.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
from pats mouth, the Zuza is a designed as an SS bike. their do it all bike is the mbuzi. just a recap:
Shova-Pedal
Izimu-Cannibal
Mbuzi-Goat
Makulu-Big or a person older than you, ie. a person you respect and look up to. I used to call my grand father "kulu" which is derived from makulu.
Zuza-Win
Enza-perform, do, act are all meaning. but it is most commnly used as "do"

yep, they keeping both. i think maybe to keep a lower price, cheaper alternative that still rides almost as good as the Makulu.
Thanks for the info. Tell Pat the new bikes look awesome!

BenP

Chimp
Apr 2, 2008
as far as is know, the izimu 09 is more like the shova lt 08.
So the makulu is the new downhillbike and the izimu the "new" freeride-rig.