Quantcast

2009 morewood makulu !

poonstar

Monkey
Jan 6, 2008
until the courier shows up monday or tuesday...i have a pile of useless parts waiting to be built :monkey:

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Dropped my 2nd hand Curnutt XTD off at Foes to get rebuilt, dug up a random 150mm rear wheel out of the bathroom, My bike is pretty much gonna be pieced together, w/ whatever I can find

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Nice.

I can't believe 10 people didn't already tell you to trim those brake lines.
Why they help brake up the air around your bike and make you go faster. Just you wait Sam hill will be running his like that in South Africa

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
supercow or ozzemale - how you guys liking the bos fork? no one really saying anything about them, heard loads about the shocks, but nothing about the fork.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
ozzemale is french, don't believe a word he says.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
supercow or ozzemale - how you guys liking the bos fork? no one really saying anything about them, heard loads about the shocks, but nothing about the fork.
Well i have a bit of an opinion. But as the bos distributor for Australia. Most people would say i'm biased. Which i probably am. I can describe the characteristics of the forks without comparing it to another fork if that helps?

ozzemale is french, don't believe a word he says.
and you believe a guy with sri lankan backgrounds to tune your suspension:monkeydance:. I love Udi! (secretly)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
to be honest mate - it's hard to say anything, without it sounding like im biased.
I just spend a whole lot of wonga on a bike (not as much a poonstar mind), so my view will be tinted with rose coloured glasses.

I am however over the moon with it and without just sounding like an echo (of Jone's from Dirt) it just uses the travel so very efficiently.
I have had a play with the compression a lot recently and it's at a point where I think it's unbelievable.

Had a go at a bike with boxxers up front, and came off the bike because the "Dive" surpriosed me a helluva lot, something which has never happened on the Idylle.
They are nice and stiff, but still always uses all the travel regardless if it's on small bumps or big bumps, without the dive or bottoming out - thats the best I can describe it I guess :)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
cool, that's all i needed to hear. so no horror stories of them having really right seals ect, guess they were just rumours.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
Bos forks do have a tighter than usual seal that loosens up over time but hey you get no oil leaks etc.. i ll post a thorough review up for you soon.
The seals are of very good quality and last for a long while.
Bos recommends an oil change once a year and seals once every two years.

nicho

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
ok guys, have had a few weeks to play on my Makulu. This review is by someone that has only been riding DH for a couple of years now so if you wanted a opinion by the average punter here goes...
I was coming from a Sunday which I have had for a couple of years now, and also had a Glory 8 FR for a brief time as well. I loved the Sunday but it was a bike that took me a lil while to get comfortable on especially with jumping and airtime. It was such a lively bike that always felt fast and cornered amazingly. I used to luv how it used to put you intsantly in that attack position .It also accelerated hard when putting the foot down & pedalling(esp compared to my Glory FR) due to the fantastic DW link

Now to the Makulu...instantly felt very comfortable on it, and that might be due to the shorter TT. I am 5'8 and have a small Makulu and felt a lil stretched out on the Sunday. Even though the Makulu WB is longer than my Medium sized Sunday, it feels like a smaller bike. which means it also feels very agile and the thing is just awesome to jump & get air time on. it just pops so easily when you want it to.This bike does basically whatever you want it to with the minimum body english required.
The rear suspension (BOS)is amazing, the thing is so much plusher than my Sunday with a dhx5, yet pedals as good if not better. I have overshot a few landings that if done on my Sunday used to make me work hard to ride out of. This thing just uses all of its travel efficiently without bottoming out, and just lets you get on with your business as if nothing has happened.
The rear suspension allows the bike to just track & grip. There have often been moments when I am just waiting for that rear end to just step out on me and it hasnt done it yet
I had a serious injury 6 months ago, and only been back riding seriously in the last 2 months. the Makulu has brought back so much confidence and I am hitting everything big at the local(A-lines)I used to hit before injury again so much smoother & easier
Also should mention I have my Makulu down to 17.8 kilos, with Boxxer WC, Saints cranks, MTX 33 rims, Hadley Hub, straitline stem, Deity Bars, SDG I-Fly seat & post.

To be honest..I am in love with this bike!!! And thats from someone who usually always gets buyers remorse

this bike in the right hands would be a weapon...it far exceeds my own abilities

Last edited:

RichS

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
Does anyone know what disc brake adapter I need to go from the 180mm post mount on the Makulu frame to use a 203mm disc.
I've used an Avid Standard PM to 185 PM for my Avid brakes, but now I've changed brakes to Saints the adapter doesn't quite sit flat.
Anyone got any suggestions?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
any word on u.s. pricing? what packages (ie frame only, build kits, rear shocks) do they offer?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
just exchanged some emails with richard from morewood about makulu pricing and thought i'd pass it along:

"We are offering the bikes here with the Cane Creek Double Barrel (Makulu Tune) and we can supply with the Fox DHX RC4 as well. We can complete the bike to any level of build and have 2 recommended build kits.

The retail pricing on a Frame and Shock combo is $3250 for the Fox and $3500 for the Double Barrel. Build kits start at $3250 for the Premium Kit and $4890 for the Pro-level kit."

fyi, i sent out an email this morning and got a reply by the afternoon, with several other emails exchanged about the possibility of demoing a makulu. i'm pleasantly surprised by the responsiveness.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
just exchanged some emails with richard from morewood about makulu pricing and thought i'd pass it along:

"We are offering the bikes here with the Cane Creek Double Barrel (Makulu Tune) and we can supply with the Fox DHX RC4 as well. We can complete the bike to any level of build and have 2 recommended build kits.

The retail pricing on a Frame and Shock combo is $3250 for the Fox and $3500 for the Double Barrel. Build kits start at $3250 for the Premium Kit and $4890 for the Pro-level kit."

fyi, i sent out an email this morning and got a reply by the afternoon, with several other emails exchanged about the possibility of demoing a makulu. i'm pleasantly surprised by the responsiveness.
Finally someone is charging a reasonable difference between DB and Fox shocks!

Does it means that you'll have to pay 3500 (frame + ccdb) plus 4890 for a pro level kit? or is it 4890 frame and PLK

Finally someone is charging a reasonable difference between DB and Fox shocks!

2010 Fox DHX RC4 $585(I have the price list in my hand)
Cane Creek Double barrel $650 (from their website)

so not too much difference in price with the new Fox. I think Elka is around $450 retail and a vivid with a spring is around $400 give or take. The only shock that is really out there in price is the BOS at around $900.

Last edited:

ianl90

Chimp
Nov 25, 2007
If anyone is looking for a Makulu frame, ive got one for sale. Im not sure if this isnt aloud or what. If it is, sorry and delete the post. but i have a brand new Makulu frame size small, with bos stoy rear shock and SDG seat and seatpost for $2500. recently bought buy cant afford to keep around. my loss is your gain.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Does anyone know what disc brake adapter I need to go from the 180mm post mount on the Makulu frame to use a 203mm disc.
I've used an Avid Standard PM to 185 PM for my Avid brakes, but now I've changed brakes to Saints the adapter doesn't quite sit flat.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Obvious answer... run a 180 rotor... but...

What is the issue, does the caliper run into part of the adapter? You might just have to file it for clearance. If it absolutely does not work, then I don't think anyone will have anything for you. Good luck!

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Makulu owners: Anybody running a small at the height of under 5'8"? I'm wondering how does it fit the rider at this height? I'm in the market for one however I can't throw a leg over one so need some feedback.

Cheers

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
always thought these were cool shock but for that price i think id rather have an evil, but i dont want to spend 3k on a new bike to begin with. Just to confirm Tiago is that US $ your quoting

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
always thought these were cool shock but for that price i think id rather have an evil, but i dont want to spend 3k on a new bike to begin with. Just to confirm Tiago is that US $ your quoting
I do not see any specific shock development on the Evil, so what makes the Revolt better than a Makulu beside their marketing-hype...

Last edited:

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
Makulu owners: Anybody running a small at the height of under 5'8"? I'm wondering how does it fit the rider at this height? I'm in the market for one however I can't throw a leg over one so need some feedback.

Cheers
hey mate, im about your height and riding the small, fits good! i wouldnt go to a large unless you are almost 6ft, fantastic bikes, no lie!!!