Quantcast

2009 Nahbs

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I think it was in Portland last year. I love the idea of it moving around the country and wish IB would do the same. My vote is for bike-friendly cities with sufficient convention requirements to get shows like the Handmade and Intersuck.

Always looking forward to photos from the NAHBS.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah it was in California for a couple years, Portland last year, Indiana this year in part because that's where founder Don Walker is based. I like the idea of moving it around but I'm not going this year precisely because it's in Indiana, and I know a bunch of people who feel the same way. Hopefully there are a lot of attendees who have not been able to attend in year's past who will pick up the slack and then some.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I always look forward to seeing the pics from this event. Lots of neat stuff. I do wonder if anyone actually buys/rides those $5000 townies and fixies that seem to be so popular, though.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Just got back. Good show. It was cool to see all those bikes under one roof.

Some random notes:
-lots of road bikes
-lots of hipsters (er fixsters..whatever)
-saw the 36" wheel bike
-the Geekhouse guys are cool as hell
-I've never seen so many Chris King parts in one room, they even had a display
-saw a Schwinn family member (Waterford)
-Strong (the brand) frames are friggin sweet

Here's some pics:

theres a live bunny in that cage

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
These pictures makes me want to own more bikes.

Funny have Chris King has become the standard for a lot of these kinds of bikes. I have noticed this here in NYC hipster bikes runs CC headsets.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's heartening to see such creativity and craftsmanship. bikes for all types indeed.

that said, i also like bike snob nyc's take on the NAHBS:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/03/hand-luggage-bike-builders-and-lady.html

As you may know, this past weekend Indianapolis, IN hosted the 5th annual NAHBS (which of course stands for National Association of Ham Butchers' Soiree). For the fifth consecutive year, I failed to attend, since I don't really feel the need to spend time and money in order to slobber all over lugs. Honestly, I'm not much of a lug-slobberer anyway, and I don't really understand why people get so excited about them. Lug-slobberers are the same kinds of people who get excited about things like wine and furniture design and who spend $200 on architecture books.

But I'm sure if I did like to stand next to bikes, nod appreciatively, and make remarks such as, "My, what exquisite lugwork!" I'd have had a smashing time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here are the ones that caught my eye in going through a few of those picasa galleries:

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
it's heartening to see such creativity and craftsmanship. bikes for all types indeed.

that said, i also like bike snob nyc's take on the NAHBS:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/03/hand-luggage-bike-builders-and-lady.html
bwahahahaha! Coming from Portland, this is pretty damn funny. Love it.

I'm not sure who in 2009 has both money to buy such a bicycle and a job to ride it to, though I suppose it really doesn't matter since Sacha White's wait list is something like five years long. Who knows? Perhaps by 2014 we'll be living in a new age of prosperity. So if you're prone to the sort of optimism that borders on complete delusion, go ahead, queue up for a Vanilla. Don't worry about it getting stolen--crime will be a thing of the past in 2014. Also, the fenders will help keep you dry during all those pesky money storms, and the wide tires will offer a smooth ride and sure grip on roads of gold bullion.