Quantcast

2009 Specialized FSR XC Comp...tell me about it.

Hotrodguru

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
We'll make this short as to not need Cliff Notes...ok, never mind that comment.

I used to race Mountain Bikes years ago (let's say 12 years ago or so). I have a very good relationship with a local shop so always get smoking deals. Anyway, the time has come for me to get back in shape and the only enjoyable way I know how is cycling.

I purchased a '09 Specialized FSR XC Comp and will be picking it up tomorrow. Luckily I still have a helmet and some Shimano SPD shoes so I won't need too much gear. I was going to pick up a standard computer but then saw the Garmin Edge 705 GPS which has a heart rate monitor and cool online training software option.

Anyway, I've always been used to purchasing some really sweet equipment but things are quite different now. I'm 35 now, my Merlin Ultralight of 8 years back which was the top of the line then was 3k. Now we're easily seeing 5-7k for top of the line models.

So here we are now. I have to be realistic and I told myself I wouldn't spend more than 2000 on a bike and needed items. I'm not racing, won't be, and for the riding I'm going to be doing, this bike should work well. Well now I'm thinking. If I hypothetically paid around 1200 for this FSR XC Comp and then wanted to get the GPS, I'm going to be looking at close to 2k. I can probably get into a FSR XC Expert for like 1650 or maybe a Pro or entry level Stumpy for 2k and wait for a while for the Garmin GPS.

For my needs, is it worth spending the extra 400-600 to upgrade bikes. The Comp comes with a RockShox Tora 302 on the front and a X-Fusion 02RLA on the rear. Is this a decent setup?

The FSR XC Expert upgrades to a RockShox Recon on the front and from Deore SLX to XT components. Not sure about the Pro or entry level Stumpy but maybe a RockShox rear shock as well and another step up in components.

Damn things are confusing now a days :confused: Suggestions???

gruczniak

Chimp
Apr 25, 2008
If you are not planing to train heart monitor and GPS in not a must. I mean friend of mine have it, he said it is very cool, bu Now it is "cooling" being not used. I would suggest skipping that, get some wireless comp and it will work fine.

As for the bike: I am not a spec fan and around 2k I would build one(not spec) for sure. You seem to know what you want, so: get a better bike if you plan to ride a lot, if not you should be fine anyway.

Hotrodguru

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
Well it's a done deal. Went in to pick up my GF's Specialized that we ordered for her and took my FSR XC out for a ride. I was really impressed with the ride.

Left the FSR XC there at the shop and upgraded to a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp in Satin Black for an additional $478. Feel pretty good about my decision and can't wait till it comes in next week.

Will post pics next week :)