Quantcast

2009 Supreme DH owners. I need Input

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
So im about to order the new 2009 Commencal Supreme DH. Since the frame doesn't offer a shock I was debating between a Fox DHX 5.0 or a Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 Im leaning more towards the Vivid, but I was wondering. Is the stock B tune that comes with the shock fine with the frame? Is an A tune recommended you think if I order a vivid? Also im pretty stumped on what spring rate I should run on the bike. I weigh 160 lbs. So would a 300 lbs spring workout perfectly for my weight? Input would be much appreciated.

thanks.:cheers:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
BTI just started listing the differerent tune parts, something that was not available at all last year. IIRC the parts are about $15 retail to change tunes if you feel you have too little/too much damping.

giffels

Chimp
Nov 4, 2007
I have a dhx 5.0 with i believe the 300 spring ( it is whatever commencal recommended and it is perfect.) And i would not worry about breaking it, this bike did not become a world championship bike by being weak :)

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i think that's a fluke...i rode a mini dh for a while last year and it was perfectly fine.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
it was his second front triangle (first one broke with in the first 10 rides) not to mention my other friend is waiting to hear back on his warranty on his mini dh. so fluke i think not. but what do expect from a bike compnay that has their frames produced at a factory in Taiwan the usually only builds steel frames.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
did anyone happen to see Rachel Atherton's broken world cup bike on display in the fox booth at interbike? it was pretty sweet right through the chain stay.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
@Jumping: I think you are talking about older models, since I did not see new ones breaking.

I ran a Roco that didn't work in any ways, even it comes stock on the frame in the UK.
I now run a Vivid and that is something totally different. Taking bumps like hell and pedalling better than with the Roco. But you should know, it doesn't really pedal that good, if you you are more after a good pedalling, than choose the DHX, if more after good suspension action. choose the vivid

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I know of a number of those frames out being ridden real hard almost every day.

Not one of them has broken.

I wouldn't worry about breaking the frame, from what we've seen they're tough as nails. They're also a REALLY good riding bike.

And I assume you're buying new - in which case, even if you did break it, which you probably won't, BTI seems to be great with warranty.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
pre 2009's seemed to be pretty crack happy

i dont think the 2009's have been out long enough to see how strong they are, but im not having great expectations thanks to my experience with my 2007 and 2008 framesets

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
But you should see that those frames did get heavier, the older crackier ones were nearly a kilo lighter...

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
yeah i would like to say they were the older ones but the 2 supreme dh's that my friend broke were 09's and BTI did take care of him pretty quick well about 4 weeks not that bad. as for my friend with the mini dh it was a 08 frame i believe. My friend did say the frame performs great he loves it but after breaking 2 frames in a short period of time i think he is a little discouraged on them. likes how they handle but not to confident in the strength of the frames. the paint sucks talk about flaking easily you breath on the frame and it chips. im not doubting that these are great bikes to ride when they arent breaking you would figure for the price tag they would be stronger then they are.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Well Comming from the 2008 Commencal DH. I never had a single problem with the frame cracking ect.. only my 2006 Supreme DH did I crack in the headtube area.. but that was because there was issues in the 2006 Models with the hydro-tubing.

Anyways... Im leaning towards the vivid now.. So is the stock B tune fine?

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Oh, I ordered the standard tune which seems to be the B tune and that thing works perfectly fine with a 400 Nukeproof Ti Spring!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The 09 won't probably crack as easily as they are so ****ing close to the weight of the glory (I think the idea of adding excess weight to make it bombproof is the same) but I've been hearing about quality issues with the 09 for quite some time. It's quite random and some ppl complain about it. Seen some on commencalowners and have one friend that had some issue with loose linkage.

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
If your a hack you can break any bike. if u buy a bike and use it for something other than it was designed for you can break it. if you run crap components, you can break a bike, and if you repeatedly abuse and neglect your bike,you can break it.

I would guess that your friend breaks a lot of bikes not just the commencal.
Not to say i approve of their issues regaurding heat treating and painting "tactics" if you will. I say bring back the anodized frames, lighter and scratch proof!

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
I hear what your saying but unfortunately my friend is not a hack at least not in the way that you need to be to break a frame. its one of those things that happens and unfortunately it happened to him twice both times on brand new frames.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
could be all of the above. i was a little shocked to see the crack in the frame when we got done riding. he was very bummed he really likes the bike and how well it rides but is discouraged at this point with the quality of the builds. He loves the bike though!!

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
Was this the dude from FSA? He's not a small guys... Where did they break?
His first i don't know the second one its started to crack where the seat tube meets the down tube that the shock goes through if that makes sense. he doesn't weigh that much more then me though he's not that big. again though he loves the bike just got dealt a bad hand twice.