Quantcast

2010 888s are in

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There is not a single fork that provides what you are asking, period. It is just not going to happen at the prices and weights that some consumers are demanding.
Sure there is...or has been...it just weighs 10.4lbs and has 65mm offset.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I want a 40 with a larger oil volume in it. Thats my dream. Then it would be the perfect fork... other than the scary thin lowers.
The 40 can take pretty much as much oil as your willing to put in it, as the staunctions aren't sealed up like a Boxxer. There is no problem running 100ml in each leg with the 40, but since you don't have an oil seal to keep the whole lot in, you'll leak a bit past the dust seal, which will keep the whole thing nice and lubricated, but could get a little messy.

Sandwich, Bos say the Idylle only needs a once a yr service for very frequent riders and it's around 3.2kg if I remember. It's certainly on my short list of new forks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ha, the 888 gives you even more adjustment than what external adjusters can provides really the range of tuning is bigger with the 888, don't get sucked in to marketing ;)
WTF? The boxxer has a much more complex low-speed damping circut/adjuster, as well as adjustable shim stack. Then there's the drop-stop. I gotta say that RS is on top of things with the boxxer when it comes to damping. I wouldn't waste your time with an 888, I'll go for the Avalanche 888 cart when it comes out and maybe retrofit it in my 888.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
WTF? The boxxer has a much more complex low-speed damping circut/adjuster, as well as adjustable shim stack. Then there's the drop-stop. I gotta say that RS is on top of things with the boxxer when it comes to damping.
Just another marketing victim.

;)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
cbj, no denying the air fork had problems, i did mention that, but my 888 before it worked just fine the entire time i owned it, i sent it back over the winter to have it rebuilt and that was all (unless my memory fails me completely)...i guess i'm not taking proper care of my fork anyways i'm still getting the new 888 and why not, it's shiny

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
What did they say about the weight of the 66 EVO? Its hard to imagine that the ti version is a full 1lb lighter.
I have a few weeks on the new 66 RC3 Ti, so far very impressive.
Uncut steerer w/ axle it weighed 6.15 #. This is with a 1.5 steerer, it is a bit heavier with an 1 1/8".
Looking forward to some time on the 888 Ti Evo in the near future as well.
Marz has made a huge effort to improve their line this year, time will tell if they are successful.......

Attachments

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
WTF? The boxxer has a much more complex low-speed damping circut/adjuster, as well as adjustable shim stack. Then there's the drop-stop. I gotta say that RS is on top of things with the boxxer when it comes to damping. I wouldn't waste your time with an 888, I'll go for the Avalanche 888 cart when it comes out and maybe retrofit it in my 888.

Complex does not mean more tuneable. the 888 has only the USEFUL external adjustments and then the shimmed compression piston is obviously very simple but still gives you as big a potential adjustment range in compression as you can get. Ever seen how adjusters a moto fork has?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The longevity you want half existed in 2004/2005 when forks took a quart of oil per leg (actually, even then, forks would perform SIGNIFICANTLY better with monthly service). It does not exist any longer. This is a direct result of internet weight weenies demanding overly light products. With an optimized chasis design, the only way to loose significant weight in a fork is to massively reduce the oil volumes in the fork. The less lube, the shorter the service intervals whether it be a fork, a bearing assembly, or a motor...it is all the same. If you want someone to blame, blame 'you' and 'me'. Consumers are demanding underbuilt products for weight savings...and this is the result.
I'm kinda pissed on the fact that we have to take everything to far (or rather the marketing bastards) and it is the same for weight. I'd be perfectly happy with a 3.1-3.3kg 36mm stanction fork with larger oil volume. The only one I know so far is unfortunately BOS which costs buckets of money. I don't really see a reason for <3kg fork or thick forks. The problem with making such forks by bigger companies is that on paper it's hard to brag about it as it's not easily "the best" in anything so the e-riders can't wank to it. Personaly I think the different trends in bikes are not really as resposible as our low resistance to marketing. We go ape**** over super future tech 110% move efficent , 130 lighter OMGBBQ stuff and there is little place for reasonable products that would do their job much better.
I just want a 40lb bike with quality suspension and dialed geo, why is it that hard?

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
hey, i still waiting and waiting for the 888 evo ti but zocchi do not ship to the bike shops.. any idea?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They ship to bike shops. They're just backordered right now on the Ti forks.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
I have a few weeks on the new 66 RC3 Ti, so far very impressive.
Uncut steerer w/ axle it weighed 6.15 #. This is with a 1.5 steerer, it is a bit heavier with an 1 1/8".
Looking forward to some time on the 888 Ti Evo in the near future as well.
Marz has made a huge effort to improve their line this year, time will tell if they are successful.......
is that a maxle on your 66 ? :confused:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
wow that's pretty light considering you'll definitely shed a bit more weight once you cut the steerer and look at that, a fork being shipped with oil in it...what a concept....let us know what it's like on the bike!!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
No...stock Marz axle.....does look a bit like the Maxle though.

New 888 Evo Ti: 6.7 pounds w/ axle and uncut steerer.

Even had oil in it ;)
Is the 6.7 with or without stem?

My 2010 Boxxer Team was 6.7 with uncut steer, both crowns, and axle... NO stem.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
6.7# w/o the stem. The stem has a full Ti bolt kit too.

The fork feels very smooth out of the box, but feels like it will need a bit of ride time to polish the bushings.