Quantcast

2010 Boxxer ending stroke rebound problem

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
The ending stroke rebound knob on my boxxer spins without limits. I have taken the rebound assembly out for a look, but I need some more info from someone in the know.

The beginning stroke rebound adjustment works fine - I can see the needle move up and down through the 4 ports in the middle of the photo. When I move the end stroke adjuster though, not much happens (though I can see the needle rotating). There is no visible damage to anything through the ports.

Any ideas? What should happen when the end stroke rebound is adjusted? Should I take the rebound assembly apart to investigate and if so how?

PS: It's not a problem with the adjusters itself, I have checked them

_MG_4432.jpg

Last edited:

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
From the looks of it I believe you have the 2011 Rebound assembly. The 2010's were a bit larger and had a white glide ring. The 2011 Have a grey one like the one you have. But I can be wrong. Does the knobs for Beginning and Ending stroke turn without stopping? I'd personally really avoid trying to play with the adjusters too much if you don't know what your doing. Make sure that the adjuster knob it sitting correctly on the rebound shaft. It could be that you have a 2011 Rebound assembly with the 2010 adjuster knobs? I'd double check as Sram changed the design of both rebound and compression from 2010 to 2011.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
The grey adjuster turns with limits, seems to be working properly. It's only the red that doesn't.

I'm not sure if the rebound assembly is 2011 or not, I got the fork second hand. It has the 2010 adjusters. From the looks of that photo the red piece near the circlip is the part that should move up and down as the adjuster is moved, loading up that wavey spring.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I managed to fix, or at least, adjust the ending stroke rebound. The red top hat has a left handed thread so I gave it a helping hand with a wrench and it unwound really easily. For some reason the adjuster at the bottom spins the gold rod at the top correctly (letting you adjust the preload) but beyond about 14-15 clicks the adjuster would just spin and not turn the red top hat any more, nor unscrew it.

I put it back together and dialled in 10 clicks. Shouldn't need to adjust it I doubt.

broun

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
i had the same problem on my 2011 r2c2 and was wondering if anyone tried to put a washer under the snap ring of the shaft so it would limit the number of clics on the low speed rebound.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds like you got a rockshox.

in all seriousness, I think I had this problem on both my ****ty 2010 with the updated rebound head, and the new out of the box 2011 R2C2. If you have a good LBS, talk to them, and RS will probably just send you a new rebound head, which should work for a couple of weeks.