Quantcast

2010 Boxxer Race vs. 2009 888 RC3

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Has anyone used both an appreciable amount? I've read about the 888 problems from the past couple years, and the stanchion problems of the pre-2010 Boxxer. Haven't really heard of any problems with the new forks aside from lack of grease in the Boxxer...Bueller???

I just built up a DHR and am looking for something with good adjustability (slow speed comp., PL, rebound) that my current fork lacks. I've only run Zokes for the past 10 years, but the problems of '07/'08 for Marz. kinda have me thinking of switching things up. It also seems that the RS will be ~1.5# lighter than a comparable 888, and it seems that the weight of the bike you're lugging around does matter when you have a herniated disc in your back like me.

I'm 175#, not a hucker, ride So Cal trails, and have probably been spoiled by the reliability and ease of maintenance of the Zokes of old. Maybe a 2010 Boxxer could be similar with the retrofit of 35mm Marzocchi seals? :blink:

What do y'all think? Thanks for any input.

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
just my 2 cents, but here it is....
I have 3 buddies/team bro's that are riding 2 08 888rc's and 1 08 888 wc....they were all early run forks and had the loose bushing thing...but all were fixed free of charge including shippping and othet than that have been perfect.....the problem was fixed early last yeaqr and they have beat the sack out of them since and no issues whatsoever.....
bear in mind that they are no longer built in Italy, like my 05 888rc2x.....In my opinion it is one of the most incredible forks ever made......I have dented both lowers, scratched both stantions, scratched the living hell ouf of the whole fork, the adjusted knob on the bottom of the fork is up on Plattekille somewhere, and it works as good as brand new.....look around they are out there for short money, and its not too hard to find one in good shape....
Other than that, in spite of the fact that marzzochi are not what they used to be, they are still the best bet for someone who wants something that works when you need it too, and not have to mess with it to keep it working...

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
by the way its got all those adjustments you are looking for, and unlike rock shox, they actually work:p

And also we are from New England and not Cali, so thats something to considder....last year we were on a group ride at Sunday river, there must have been at least 10 riders in the pack, and every one of them was on a 888.....the riding here is very muddy and messy and the 888's seem to hold up the best to that stuff..

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you were considering the boxxer team, then that might be worth it from the point of view that you could alter the "speed-stack" and low-speed compression to tune the fork. The 888 RC3 doesn't have quite as much tunability in terms of damping (not talking about range, just ability to tune), but it does have a better way to adjust the bottom-out than the competitors, so you give a little and take a little. So considering that, the 888 RC3 is very solid. I have an 08 WC, but it's from a production run after the problem one(s) (there is a mark on the arch that identifies it as such), and it's given me no problems. I did go to a lighter spring.

The 2010 RC3 will have a user-adjustable shim-stack, but the 2009 stuff should be pretty solid. If you just want a fork to put on the bike, not have to worry about the semi-bath level and just change the oil once a season, get the 888. If you want slightly different tunability and lower weight, get the boxxer team.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Does Marzocchi still include a stem with the 888? I had a 888 RC2X and it came with one but when I looked at Marzocchi's site there was no mention of one.

Back to main topic, for what it is worth, I sold my 888 RC2X to get an 08 Boxxer WC and I wish I never did it. While I can't say the Boxxer is a bad fork, I just liked the 888 a lot better. I am getting back on a 888 ASAP.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I REALLY wish Marzocchi would go back to a damper with independently and externally adjustable high/low speed compression...

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
I REALLY wish Marzocchi would go back to a damper with independently and externally adjustable high/low speed compression...
Yeah ! that way IT would be an interesting option to consider beside FOX and RS.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Hmmm...

"RC3 cartridge design: externally adjustable rebound, position sensitive compression, and auto high/low-speed compression damping"

Yeah, I was wondering what this "Auto" business was. So I take it that manipulating the LSC alters the HSC a bit.

Isn't the rebound adj. knob on the top of the right leg, and the LSC on the top of the left leg? Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Bah.:boss:

*Will the integrated stems from the older 888 work with the upper crown of the newer 888? I can only assume this is true.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's kind of hard to go back to something that you never had, unless you are talking about the Shiver MX cartridges that were put in the Monster T during it's last model-run. Other than that, marzocchi has never had what you are talking about.

I hear what you are talking about though, for the Fing love of god just scale down that Mx stuff and put it in the 888, which probably still hasn't happened, even with the 2010 RC3.

The adjuster on the RC3 controls high AND low at the same time, it's NOT indepedant, the issue should be much better addressed with the 2010 RC3, as you could alter the shim stack and essentially make indepedant adjustments (but not externally).

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
It's kind of hard to go back to something that you never had, unless you are talking about the Shiver MX cartridges that were put in the Monster T during it's last model-run. Other than that, marzocchi has never had what you are talking about.

I hear what you are talking about though, for the Fing love of god just scale down that Mx stuff and put it in the 888, which probably still hasn't happened, even with the 2010 RC3.

The adjuster on the RC3 controls high AND low at the same time, it's NOT indepedant, the issue should be much better addressed with the 2010 RC3, as you could alter the shim stack and essentially make indepedant adjustments (but not externally).
I think what big-ted and the others are referring to is the RC2X. It had separate hi/low adjusters and both were external. However, even this is somewhat debatable by today's standards since the low speed was speed sensitive and the "hi speed" was more position sensitive since it really only effected the last 25% of the stroke rather than effecting the whole compression on a high speed or big hit. Regardless of this, it was a great fork and very adjustable and regret getting rid of mine.