Quantcast

2010 Boxxer springs

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
2010 Boxxer Team.
is there a chart that says what color each spring is weighted for?

It says it comes with 2 tuning springs , so in total it comes with 3 springs, which one is the heavy spring? or does it come installed with the heavy spring?

thanks guys.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
There is a set up guide on the rock shox site. Has fancy little charts for you to write down your settings for fine-tuning and rebuild purposes. To answer your question directly; they ship stock with a medium spring (red) and come with soft (yellow) and firm (blue) springs to swap with.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Can people confirm what weight they are and what spring they are running?

I've heard people dropping a spring weight on the fork, but not seen much to back this up.

I'm ~175lbs so bang on the money for a medium, but have ridden a bike with the soft & it felt good, so am in a bit of a dilemma...

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Can people confirm what weight they are and what spring they are running?

I've heard people dropping a spring weight on the fork, but not seen much to back this up.

I'm ~175lbs so bang on the money for a medium, but have ridden a bike with the soft & it felt good, so am in a bit of a dilemma...
I am on the fence of a firm and extra firm. There was no way I would have ridden the extra firm. I even rode the stock spring for a few days without any problems, but I was definitely better off on the firm. I think part of that is from the Drop Stop feature. I have heard of people cutting the Drop Stop elastomer down so the "finger" just touches at full bottom out with the adjuster backed out. That way you can adjust it from full linear to a slight ramp. IMO out of the box the Drop Stop engages too heavily and too early.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with the blue drop stop bumper? I got a secondhand team that I swapped the spring in and I received a blue bumper with it that I was told was softer than the red one. Is that legit? Anybody else have one?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Does anybody have any knowledge or experience with the blue drop stop bumper? I got a secondhand team that I swapped the spring in and I received a blue bumper with it that I was told was softer than the red one. Is that legit? Anybody else have one?
The drop stop is a glorified elastomer from select (old) rockshox forks. There are various colors, such as blue and yellow. The destinction is pretty obvious, and can be determined by feel. If you compare the red elastomer (stock drop stop) to the old blue elastomer, you can feel the difference in softness by using your fingernail. It is legit, in short.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's cool. It's kind of what I figured, I just didn't know if RS had issued a new bumper or if somebody had just asploded a quadra 5. Thanks.

CoveRider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2010
My experience with boxxer team 2010. I was lucky to get one with the updated internals (rebound damper and top out spring assembly). Having said that I took mine apart and greased the seals because there was barely in any in there and put the correct amount of 15w oil in the lowers as there was only a few drops when I opened it up (10ml damper side and 40ml spring side).

Regarding the springs I am 250 probably 260lbs with gear and I run the heavy blue spring. Even for my weight it seems a bit stiff as I am near the bottom with my compression settings around 3-5 clicks. I am assuming the spring will soften up a bit as I ride it more and more days. These springs are definitely on the stiff side for the weight recommendations by Rockshox. So you may want to experiment with the softer one or hope the stiffer one will soften a bit.

I was like many people on threads in the mtb forums not getting full travel out of the fork and am considering cutting the drop stop elastomer a bit. I took it out completely to test my theory and I could get full travel. So by cutting it I am thinking I will be able to get full travel more consistently without a massive awkward hit to bring it there.

Any advice on how much to cut? I was thinking of starting with 3/4" because I can always play with the bottom out knob to get it to engage earlier once cut.

CoveRider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2010
I should also mention that I took the advice of another poster on one of these forums and cut out the openings of the spring isolator sleeves so that elastomer can move freely up and down inside the spring. When they shrink those isolator sleeves on they wrap around the coils and impede the elastomer from moving freely. Just use a small box cutter or exacto knife to carve out the material that is curled in to the inside of the spring. I am not even really sure what the purpose of these spring isolator sleeves are for anyway... other than to create a smoother surface for the spring to slide against inside the stanchion. Less wear, less rattle?

With the things I have done to this fork it now rides/performs amazing! I will probably guinea pig the cutting down of the elastomer today. Wish me luck! I doubt they are that expensive to replace if I bugger it up AND the fork will work just fine without it (just wont have that progressive bottom out feel on hard hits).

CoveRider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2010
Worked like a charm by the way ;) cut 3/4'' off and now when I try to ram the fork down (parking lot) I get 7 1/4 travel with open compression. So I figure with much harder hits I will get about the full travel with compression dialed where I like it and a couple turns on the bottom out knob. Presto my Boxxer Team is dialed in!! Hope that all helps anyone out there with the same issues as I had. The elastomer was a bit tricky to cut with a box cutter as it is squishy and a bit greasy... but it worked... I placed the cut end south in the spring so that the slightly imperfect cut won't affect the way it touches the end of the drop stop "finger" when it engages.

Sum it up: check for updated rebound assembly and spring side top out assembly Refer to SRAM Youtube video "Boxxer 2010 updates", grease seals with slick honey, check and fill proper oil levels, cut openings in the spring isolator sleeves, cut the drop stop elastomer 3/4" and the stock springs run a bit heavier than what they say. That should solve all of the Boxxer 2010 issues/questions. Hopefully there is someone from SRAM who will read this and maybe try some of these things at the factory so that buyers will not have to do all this when they get their fork.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm 85ish Kg's, (yeah thats right yankees, Kg's. Get with the rest of the world. Pounds should only be used for bike weights) and I run the soft spring for most things. I do have a race, tho with Team damper internals. I payed for 8 inches of travel, and by dogone it, I'ma gonna use 8 inches. I wouldnt even get 20% sag with the meduim spring.
Figure when I race some gnarly tracks next year I'll prolly use the meduim.