Quantcast

2010 Boxxer Team Low Speed Compression Dampening knob only rotates one "notch"

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I bought a new boxxer team off somebody and noticed the low speed compression dial only turns once and is fairly difficult to turn. I understand I'm supposed to be able to turn it four full turns. The compression dial is also relatively difficult to rotate, but appears to operate ok (haven't trail tested it yet). Any thoughts on why this would be the case?

thanks

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I took the fork apart. Internals look nice, everything sofar has been metal.. but whoever put this thing together really wrenched on the bolts :rant:

At this point I have broken it down to the blue tube the high speed compression adjuster knob is stuck on, the brass colored fitting which appears to have a ball bearing valve assembly inside it that is screwed into this blue tube, and the hollow black rod with hex extension.

I would unscrew the brass valve thing, but it is on really tight and I don't have an 18.5mm flat wrench to hold the blue tube steady while I unscrew it. gah!

Once this gets fixed I'll take some shots of the innards if people are interested.. there are shimz!

edit: Purchasing this entire assembly would fix the problem for me:

But I really don't need all of those pieces.

edit2: So right after calling the nice folks at Rockshox, they requested I go through a dealer to get the part warranted. When I put everything back together to ship it out, I used a hex key to tighten the low speed compression adjuster knob down and what do you know, the thing came loose!

It is now reasonably easy to turn.. and more importantly turns more than one notch (but not an infinite number as if I had snapped the shaft). My guess is it was screwed on too tight at the factory, and in my haste, my ham-fisted tightening knocked it free from it's weird stuck position.

Last edited: