Quantcast

2010 demo 8 sizing?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So I'm buying a 2010 Demo 8, and I can't quite decide which size to get. I'm 5'9" and I seem to be able to ride a small or a medium. Standing and pedaling on both bikes feels good, but I notice my knees are a bit close to the top of the fork on the small. This isn't the case on the medium, but the medium has a very long wheelbase and may be a bit harder to turn.

The last real DH bike that I had was a small Glory, which was great, but the Demo is a different beast. Thanks in advance, I just can't seem to figure it out.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Im about 5 9/5 10 and i ride a small 08 demo 8. I do prefer smaller bikes though. My knees are also pretty close to the top of the fork. I think its just preference really. Like i said i like a smaller bike so i went with the small. Think i would have been okay on the medium too though.

I'm 6'1 and I ride a medium. The wheel bases are pretty big on these bikes - they look long sitting still, but that being said once you get them rolling you never notice it. I've never had an issue getting my bike turned. The small may be your size, but get whichever one feels better to you, suits your riding style more, and even consider the terrain where you ride (wide open and fast - get the medium/ technical and slow - get the small).

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
a budy of mine is as tall as you. He has a small sx and is going to get a small demo 8 2010, but with a longer tee. ie: a 55 or 60 mm stem. Im 6'0 and I ride his small sx without any problems, whats more, it feels real comfortable!

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm 6" and on a medium 08 Demo 8. They are long bikes. The medium is perfect for me. I'd say the small is your best bet.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I'm on a Medium Demo 7, and am 6'1". I feel very comfortable with this size, but I'm also able to move up to the large with a 45mm stem.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I thought the medium was going to be the right size, but I based that more off of riding last year's demo 7 instead of the 8. The new Demo 8 would have an even longer wheelbase than the 7 that I rode, and the effective top tube would be considerably longer. This is also due to slacking the top tube and seat tube though, which changed things a little bit.

The new small Demo 8 would have a 10mm shorter wheelbase than the 7 that I rode, and still a longer top tube. I know the top tube isn't necessarily that good of a measurement for a DH bike, but I'm just keeping track. I rode a small 2009 demo 8 today, and aside from my knee being close the the top of the fork it was fine. I'm just not sure if the geo tweaks for 2010 will make that more or less of a problem.

New bikes are awesome, but damn if it doesn't get confusing getting the right one!