Quantcast

2010 DH Bike Geometry Chart

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
With all this talk about geometry and people getting their new '10 bikes, thought it'd be cool to put a chart together for quick/easy access to all the numbers.. I created a google doc, to share the info. I only put in 1 bike, but everyone is welcome to collaborate:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tQgCrIcc1H27iDYz3tsnu9g&single=true&gid=1&output=html

EDIT: I'm going to close editing and handle additions through a form located here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFFnQ3JJY2MxSDI3aURZejN0c251OWc6MA

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
shaun you are just to nice, dont you get paid to do other stuff at work?? man i wish i had your job!

we gotta shuttle soon.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
would be interesting if you could use some of the new measurements what have come into fashion too, is it called front center? stack and reach or whatever?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
if i could edit, i'd be willing to punch in some figures as well. sure beats doing what i should be doing at work!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i have no problems editing, but thats because i was already logged into my google account when i opened the link. maybe thats where the problems are coming from?

from my previous history with anything google based, you usually need an account to use their free apps.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
shaun you are just to nice, dont you get paid to do other stuff at work?? man i wish i had your job!

we gotta shuttle soon.
yeah..... but I get my work done too quick over here, gotta keep myself busy.

But yeah def. down for some shuttling.. I wanna check out belle mtn.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Awesome idea. Demo 8 has been added. I'll get some others Converting metric to caveman (i mean imperial) is tedious .

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Strange but it suddenly started working for me. Added the production numbers for the banshee legend.

BTW. This is seriously dorkish ;)

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've got one question for the orange and morewood. Shouldn't it be bb rise not bb drop?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I've got one question for the orange and morewood. Shouldn't it be bb rise not bb drop?
the bb is above the rear axle, which would make it logically seem that it should be rise. but i don't know for sure.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Looking at it now, anyone else find it weird the Demo has the shortest stays but has some of the longest wheelbases...
Note the longer reach than the Trek and Transition. It is basically pretty normal geo but with the BB shifted back about 20-25mm relative to the rest of the bike. It seems strange, can't say much since I have never spent any time on one.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I think only listing the lowest/slackest position is a bit misleading. In the case of the TR450 the chart is showing only the most aggresive geo setting, but if you did choose one of the steeper positions the bike would be right in line with a lot of the other bikes in the chart. There are 3 distinctly different settings, which position the bike differently in the market. We set the geo numbers with modern riders in mind, not expecting everyone to feel the need to instantly dump there bike into the lowest/slackest setting. Just something to think about.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I think only listing the lowest/slackest position is a bit misleading. In the case of the TR450 the chart is showing only the most aggresive geo setting, but if you did choose one of the steeper positions the bike would be right in line with a lot of the other bikes in the chart. There are 3 distinctly different settings, which position the bike differently in the market. We set the geo numbers with modern riders in mind, not expecting everyone to feel the need to instantly dump there bike into the lowest/slackest setting. Just something to think about.
Understood, but I was just trying to simplify the info.. I would have to have 3 different sets of geometry for each size of each bike if the bike has 3 different settings..

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Looking at it now, anyone else find it weird the Demo has the shortest stays but has some of the longest wheelbases...
The Jedi actually has shorter stays, 16.25, but wheel base is almost 3 inches shorter static. Of course you have to factor in the 2.5" of rearward...

Interesting read for sure!!!

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Great Idea and well executed. I thought about doing this for the 3-4 bikes I am looking at for next season but never got around to it.... Thanks!

I am assuming we are going by the published geometry... Which will vary based on the axle to crown height of the fork, most companies should have this on their website... Is it worth making another column? Or is the difference so small it doesn't matter?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
SamB is saying the bike has adjustable geometry, not different between sizes, this is important info if someone is looking for something specific. sounds like there are several bikes that need a line for each setting.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
2010 bikes and the sunday is there!?
We should stay with 2010 only or there will be confusion on there.

Edit: The shared spreadsheet idea is AWSOME! Thanks.

Edit 2:Someone just added: for comparison purposes. I think that is a good thing considering the sunday is kinda the benchmark for a lot or people.

Last edited:

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
maybe after initial setup, can you set access for only certain people?

People wanting to use it as a reference don't need to be able to edit it..

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Does the Turner count to be on the list? I thought production was delayed due to bearing durability?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I posted this awhile back - Bike Geometry Formulas

Download the spreadsheet and input some basic geo info (common to all bike company sites - effective TT, head angle etc) and it'll spit out front to center, front to bar standing, and reach among other things. You can also save the sheet back up on the site with your inputs, just post the link to the updated sheet in a thread.