Quantcast

2010 DHR or 2011 demo?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dude if you could really get either brand-new, unridden/un-mortal-tested bike for the same price, why wouldn't you get the DHR? It's US-made, has DW's backing, and will be ultra lusted after by all the fanboys on this forum... I would estimate, also, that after all this time, DW has put just a tiny bit of effort into it...

Not to put down the demo, which I'm sure will also be a great bike, but to me, boutique vs. mass production, same price, boutique wins.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I just saw the geo chart of the 2011 demos and the HA and BB height did not change, but the TT is a lot shorter than the 2010 models. The new M is in fact an S at 580 mm....or is this all realted to that super short HT?

At 183cm i normally run an M, but the demo looks pretty small from the figures in M

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I just saw the geo chart of the 2011 demos and the HA and BB height did not change, but the TT is a lot shorter than the 2010 models. The new M is in fact an S at 580 mm....or is this all realted to that super short HT?

At 183cm i normally run an M, but the demo looks pretty small from the figures in M
I believe is because the seat angle and head tube length changing the effective top tube. Further proof for DH bikes top tube is a nearly meaningless measurement.

The reach numbers (where you actually touch the bike) are nearly identical between 2010 and 2011.

2010 Geo

2011 Geo

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I would say go for a DW DHR. I don't have one. Never ridden one. I know I loved the DW link on the Sunday and the Firebird.

I currently own a 2010 Demo 8 II and I'm not liking it. I like the short chainstays and low bottom bracket, but I'm not getting along with the suspension. I have an '05 Enduro Comp 130, '05 Turner 5 Spot and spent alot of time on a friends '10 Enduro and '10 Stumpjumper FSR. I find FSR lacks the overall plushness that DW/Maestro have.

I'll be ordering a Glory in January.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I wasn't till I tried an M6 and 951. The VPP bikes I rode were older and weren't set up optimally for me, an Uzzi VPX 07, V-10 first gen and an 07, the newer bikes are very different.
For the money they are charging for the DHR it should at least come with the Cane Creek angle set, like the M9 does.

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
fair point. considering the prices now, the M9 is a sweet option as it comes loaded with nice features/adjustments. i haven't ridden any of the 3 in question but i can't imagine being disappointed with any of them. ferrari vs lambo vs mclaren......good luck with that decision :thumb: